Brand new HDD vs Refurbished

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Refurbished are always cheap at all, higher specifications you expect usually the brand new one with little bit pricey.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I would check about the warranty and reliability before purchase. Check the returns policy for refurbished goods.

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
Never buy refurbished computer parts, ever, especially internal necessities. You have no possible way of knowing if they work until you get them installed, and no way of knowing if they may die tomorrow if they do work. Refurbished items are almost always sold "as is" with no return policy, so if something goes wrong you are screwed. This listing seems on the up and up, but you just don't know. Save your money unless the drive you have right now is literally dead or making the death throe noises every time you boot up.

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
its got 3 yrs warranty with it please read the listing its not some 2nd hand piece of crap, and i aint paying £50+ for a HDD

S

SkyJP

I'd barely trust a Seagate hard drive. They have the highest failure rates in recent studies: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2089...eals-the-most-reliable-hard-drive-makers.html

For a 500GB hard drive you can easily get one for around £10 more, with the official warranty from the manufacturer.

IMO it's better to pay for a more reliable hard drive at a higher price officially, which will last longer, compared to buying a cheap hard drive which you might have to replace sooner than you'd expect.

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
to late now i already bought it and i cant afford expensive drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.