No Reply Browser Keeps Changing to Bing or Despite Default Browser Being Different

The author of this help request did not reply to the thread in at least 5 days. Therefore, we are going to assume that he does no longer need our help, and close this support request.
If you are the author and still need help, please send a Private Message to any staff member within the next five days. Be sure to include a link to your thread in your private message.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anayaochoa98

Thread author
Feb 20, 2024
This has happened recently, today in fact; I can still access google chrome which I typically use, but the initial search keeps changing to bing despite the default browser being set to Chrome. I have even removed all other search engines from the list in settings. As long as I quickly open a new tab and re-enter my search, it directs me to google chrome. I was reading it could be a malware but I have no idea what that even means. Thanks for your help in advance.

anayaochoa98

Thread author
Feb 20, 2024
I ran what I needed to and here are the files

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    54 KB · Views: 4
  • FRST.txt
    43.6 KB · Views: 5

icotonev

Verified
Staff Member
Mar 9, 2017
Hello ..! Welcome to MalwareTips..! :)
We missed your thread and were slow to respond. Please accept our apologies..!
Do you need our help yet..?

icotonev

Verified
Staff Member
Mar 9, 2017
Please follow the following instruction to get started:

Run AdwCleaner (scan only)

Download AdwCleaner and save it to your desktop.
  • Double click AdwCleaner.exe to run it.
  • Click Scan Now.
    • When the scan has finished, a Scan Results window will open.
    • Click Cancel (at this point do not attempt to Quarantine anything that is found)
  • Now click the Log Filestab.
    • Double click on the latest scan log (Scan logs have a [S0*] suffix, where * is replaced by a number. The latest scan will have the largest number)
    • A Notepad file will open containing the results of the scan.
    • Please post the contents of the file in your next reply.

Run Malwarebytes (scan only)
  • Download Malwarebytes and save it to your Desktop.
  • Once downloaded, close all programs and Windows on your computer.
  • Double-click on the icon on your desktop named MBSetup.exe. This will start the installation of MBAM onto your computer.
  • Follow the instructions to install the program.
  • When finished, double click the program's icon created on your Desktop.
  • Click the little gear on the top right (Settings) and when it opens, click the Security tab and make sure about the following:
Code:
Under the title Scan Options, all the options are checked.
Under the title Windows Security Center (Premium only) the option is NOT checked.
Under the title Potentially unwanted items all options are set to Always.

• Click on the little gear to return to the main menu and select Scan. The program will start scanning your computer. This may take about 10 minutes, but in some cases it may be take longer.
  • When finished, you will see the Threat Scan Summary window open.
  • If threats are not found, click View Report and proceed to the two last steps below.

If threats are found,
    make sure that all threats are not selected,close the program and proceed to the next steps below.
    • Open Malwarebytes again, click on the Scanner, and then on the Reports tab.
    • Find the report with the most recent date and double click on it.
    • Click on Export and then Copy to Clipboard.
    • Paste its content here, in your next reply.

In your next reply, please post:
  1. The AdwCleaner[S0*].txt
  2. The Malwarebytes report

Last edited:

icotonev

Verified
Staff Member
Mar 9, 2017
Due to lack of activity, this topic is now closed.
If you still need help, open a new topic, and wait for a new helper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.