Guide | How To BSOD- How I Try To Find The Cause

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi My search didn't turn up a lot for BSOD. I realize that Malware Tips is primarily a forum dealing in malware.
Both clean up and prevention!
Why can't we also deal with other issues?? I have a way I approach BSOD and I would like to share my ideas and also hear yours!
When I get a complaint about BSOD here in my retirement village, I like to open Reliability Monitor(type reliability monitor in search) And see if there are any clues there. Might not have the answer, but could lead you in the right direction. Looking how the PC has performed, can often give you a good start in the right direction.
The first thing is make sure you have all your up dates installed!
I like to eliminate or at least test for hardware problems next. Windows has some tools for that.
You can test your memory(Type memory diagnostics in search).
You can also do a chkdsk to test your HD(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ee872425.aspx).
There are other ways to access chkdsk(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2641432)
Can you operate in safe mode(http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...-safe-mode#start-computer-safe-mode=windows-7)
If you don't BSOD in safe mode, you might have a program conflict.
You might try a clean boot in you don't BSOD in safe mode(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796)
I really like this software(Who Crashed- http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed). It won't always have the answer, but I have found it to be a big help!
You can always Google the error code and hope for clues there!
There are so many reasons for BSOD. Over heating can cause them, so make sure your not over heating.
I like this software,(speedfan- http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ,but there are other good freeware programs.
PS I may have to edit this thread latter. At this moment, that's all this old man's head contains.
Please post your thoughts and suggestions and help me edit this thread! I'm sure I have left some thing out and I'm sure others have even better suggestions for BSOD!
Thanks!

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi Thanks for your replies. To be truthful, I have only worked on two BSOD in my three years here in my retirement village.
One time, Reliability Monitor led me to the graphics driver which I up dated. The other time I ran Malwarebytes which found a bunch of malicious malware. I haven't heard of either senior having any more BSOD after that.
I should have had (check for viruses with malwarebytes) some place in my list.
Also restoring back to a restore point before the BSOD started could fix the issue! That's where the reliability monitor comes in handy. With a little bit of luck the reliability monitor will show when the BSOD started
PS Blue_Screen is a great tool. Some times error codes leave a lot to be desired, but they also can lead you to the problem. I like using this guide!
http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed_troubleshooting

Hi! I have never used driver verification; but if a driver is suspected, you could give it a try.
You can read about it in this link!
I really like Who Crashed. Very easy to use and has some really good information!
http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed_verifier

Last edited by a moderator:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thanks for the links, donatao and jamescv7!:)

My first :eek:BlueScreenOfDeath was shortly after joining MT. It occured while using Windows 8, before the upgrades, and exterminator20 narrowed down the cause to my AV, Bitdefender free, which at that time was incompatible. Later this was corrected by Windows, Bitdefender, or (most likely) both! Afterwards, the last dreaded BSODs took place less than a handful of times, and was accompined by a very sincere :( along with an announcement that a kernal error had occurred, and information was being gathered. There was an identifying group of numbers provided, and I was able to feel a little comforted ...that is until it happend again,:confused: though no more than three other times.:rolleyes: I haven't had one since.
Maybe someone should have created a t-shirt:
"I survived multiple BlueScreensOfDeath and lived to tell about it ..and my coputer did too!".:D

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi cats_4. Thanks for your reply! A kernal error is very common. Error codes like that are very often hard to pin point.At least they are for me.
Are you saying that you had more BSOD and then you survived them.
That could have been because of automatic up dates from windows or other programs.
PS Glad you survived. I like a t-shirt like that. You could make a lot of money from geeks with that!! Someone just might steal that idea and make them.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
This is what Who Crashed has to say about a kernal error!!
I still like this program. If you have a better one, please post the link!;)
See you all later. Thanks for your replies and your support!
Note that WhoCrashed cannot always be exactly sure about the root cause of a system crash. Because all kernel modules run in the same address space, any driver or other kernel module can potentially corrupt another. Also, any driver may be able to cause problems to any other driver that runs in the same device stack. This is to say this software is not guaranteed to identify the culprit in every scenario.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Lol!:D
Thanks. Btw, since we know how you assist your fellow residents and accept no money in return for that help, maybe they should make a t-shirt for you (..based on the name of this thread) with a likeness of Silvester Stallone's face :mad: & a caption that says:
"Malware is the cause, ..and I am the cure!!:cool:";)

Last edited:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I have been told that I never know when to shut up. I'm afraid that is very true. I'm guilty as charged!
Please delete this if it is inappropriate for Malware Tips. This kind of thread has gotten me banned from other forums like PC Help where I poured my heart out to try to help members and now I'm no longer welcome there.
I just brush the dust from my feet as I leave their forum and move on as was advised by a very special man many years ago that was born in a manger.
PS It's that time of year again ;)Xmas!
Sorry,but those are my feelings tonight.
Thanks Malware Tips

Lol!:D
Thanks. Btw, since we know how you assist your fellow residents and accept no money in return for that help, maybe they should make a t-shirt for you (..based on the name of this thread) with a likeness of Silvester Stallone's face :mad: & a caption that says:
"Malware's the cause, ..and I'm the cure!!:cool:";)
Hi good friend. I'm paid well at Golden Oaks. I get cobblers, cookies and lots of hugs!
Please delete this link if against forum rules!
I am who I am. That's the only way I know!
http://www.goldenoaks.com/aboutus.html

WOW I just got a reputation from Jack! I'm a very happy camper at 12:44 AM.
Not much more this old man could ask for.
I'll be back with more helpful threads that I have learned from others.
Malware Tips is # I
PS Did you know that if you have the Keys (25 digits) to windows 7, you can down load a legit copy of W7 from digital rivers and maybe restore a corrupted OS that won't boot into windows.
Good night special friends(Cats_4) and Jack!
I really hate to post this link, but Shawn(Brink) is a special friend!
Here's one way! Have I got your attention??;)
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/219487-clean-reinstall-factory-oem-windows-7-a.html#post1839164

Last edited by a moderator:

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
Recently tried to switch to Panda IS 2015 and suddenly had in couple days several BSOD per day, switched back to trusted combo Avast+Online Armor and BSOD-s are gone.

Part of Panda IS 2015 nnsstrm.sys was the culprit that caused BSOD.

Last edited:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Recently tried to switch to Panda IS 2015 and suddenly had in couple days several BSOD per day, switched back to trusted combo Avast+Online Armor and BSOD-s are gone.

Part of Panda IS 2015 nnsstrm.sys was the culprit that caused BSOD.
Hi thanks for your reply. This is what Who Crashed says as a possible cause for BSOD??? Might have been a conflict some place???
Possible cause of system crashes and resets: buggy antivirus, antispyware, firewall or other security product

A long list of poor quality security software in existence is known to cause all sorts of system crashes and misery on computer systems. The situation gets worse if multiple of such problems are used simultaneously. Make sure you never install two or more virus scanners at the same time.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Defining a strategy and getting the right attitude

You should think about a good strategy for troubleshooting system crashes and adapt a good attitude before starting out. Randomly trying this or that in combination with frustration and making the wrong assumptions will end you up drawing the wrong conclusions. Make sure that you write down all steps that you take down your path. Recognize and identify which are the hard facts and which have been your assumptions. For example, if a bug check occurs, you have a hard fact. As long as a problem does NOT occur, you still have no proof that the problem is solved because the problem not occurring might just be a temporary side effect or artifact of one of the actions that you have taken. Provoking a problem in order to find its root case is often a better strategy than "trying to solve" a problem without adequate information or knowledge.
The above is a quote from Who Crashed!
http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed_troubleshooting

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi You can always search the internet for stop code errors. They are mostly pretty vague, but is another weapon to help with BSOD.
As @jim lin said, they might lead you in the right direction!

Find information on the net: search with Google

To help you investigate a system crash it is often very helpful to search on the internet for discussions from users who have experienced similar problems. It will help if you include the bug check string, driver name and company and brand name and model of your computer in the query. WhoCrashed offers some links to Google queries for each bug check but you may get better results by combining and refining the search terms depending on the problem

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.