Advice Request Can Kaspersky Free Cloud clean files from malware?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
Hi
may I ask you a question?

does kaspersky free cloud edition clean a windows computer from malware?

I'm asking because in the homepage , there is that only the paid version could do it , but according a video tutorial on youtube kaspersky free vs paid , even the free version was able to clean during the rebooting

thanks

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
hi
but should be downloaded frequently or daily ?
seeing kaspersky does release virus updates daily
sadly it's not linux based
thanks

The Kaspersky database is updated very often so the KVRT version must be very recent.
If you want a Linux version, I would advise you to use Kaspersky Rescue Disk which you can update from the LiveCD (you can use it on CD-ROM or USB key with Rufus)

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
KVRT is a standalone tool that does not have auto signatures updating feature, although it uses also cloud tech... so to run a system scanner You have to download every time the last updated version.

But You don't need it if You already have any Kaspersky product installed in the system.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
What are the others according to your opinion?
they change overtime. The last time I used Avira to scan, it could disinfect several files but it deleted many of them
panda claim their AV can disinfect but not sure how effective
the rest I don't know. Kaspersky is the only consistent AV which can disinfect, surely

restwrst

Level 1
Verified
Jan 17, 2019
Anyone using kaspersky here?
I'm new user and I have confusion to find out the list or explanation about the version of database update in its website. Is it just not possible to track the database version like avira, eset, f-secure, etc?

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
panda claim their AV can disinfect but not sure how effective
Disinfect as in clean infected PC or as in clean a malware fragment from a file?
For cleaning infected PC the Panda Cloud Cleaner haven't been updated in ages and on the forum staff recommends that it is not used.
Panda does a so-so job, depends on what the infections are. It doesn't have proper memory scanner so it will only disinfect attacks where files are involved.
The last time I used Avira to scan, it could disinfect several files but it deleted many of them
Disinfection of files nowadays is not performed and not needed as file infectors are not common at all. The entire file is malicious.
In the cases where file infectors were involved in the past, AVs did terrible job with disinfecting and frequently rendered files useless.
the rest I don't know. Kaspersky is the only consistent AV which can disinfect, surely
Kaspersky, Bitdefender and Noton & Avast to an extent all do brilliant job to deep clean an infected PC and remove much of the malware components.

Anyone using kaspersky here?
I'm new user and I have confusion to find out the list or explanation about the version of database update in its website. Is it just not possible to track the database version like avira, eset, f-secure, etc?
I've searched as well, haven't found anything. I would assume it is not possible to view any changelogs of the database.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Disinfect as in clean infected PC or as in clean a malware fragment from a file?
it cleans malicious codes that malwares inject into a file and restores it to the original state (word, excel, images,...)
most AVs delete/quarantine files instead of ininfecting them. Some AVs have disinfection but they don't work
I only saw kaspersky and avira really disinfected

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
it cleans malicious codes that malwares inject into a file and restores it to the original state (word, excel, images,...)
most AVs delete/quarantine files instead of ininfecting them. Some AVs have disinfection but they don't work
In the case you are describing (file infectors involved) the disinfection logic is not generic, per app, every infector will have its own disinfection logics described in the database. File infectors are best disinfected with rescue CDs (flash drives nowadays) as they cause a huge mess.
It’s a cat and mouse there, the infector modifies a file, the antivirus goes and fixes it and the infector modifies it again.

Fortunately, file infectors are not common anymore.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
In this case I only see it working if you have Kaspersky installed on the system before the infection since it does a ”backup” of the clean system before the infection.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
In this case I only see it working if you have Kaspersky installed on the system before the infection since it does a ”backup” of the clean system before the infection.
I used kaspersky to disinfect an unprotected laptop, zero AV, heavily infected. The owner/my friend refused to reinstall windows and I only had enough time to use the kaspersky rescue disk
he was doing exams and he wanted his documents to be recovered. Kaspersky did a good job at disinfecting most injected files

other AVs could have deleted his documents

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
In the case you are describing (file infectors involved) the disinfection logic is not generic, per app, every infector will have its own disinfection logics described in the database. File infectors are best disinfected with rescue CDs (flash drives nowadays) as they cause a huge mess.
It’s a cat and mouse there, the infector modifies a file, the antivirus goes and fixes it and the infector modifies it again.

Fortunately, file infectors are not common anymore.
I know but there are many cases we still need disinfection especially in Windows 7 devices + no AV installed. I described a real case above that deletion/quaratine is not a good option

kaspersky did a great job at recovering his files and deleting malwares, making his laptop usable temporarily, until he had time to finish his exams and buy a new laptop

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.