Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police virus

Birna

Thread author
Apr 17, 2014
I started by following your step by step guide but for some reason my laptop will not let me into System Restore.
When I power up the computer I start pressing F8 but this comes up :
Smart Failure predicted on hard disk 4 : Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00-(S1)
Warning : Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure might be imminent. Press F1 to continue.

I press F1 because that's the only thing I can do and start pressing F8 again.
Then it gives me the Advanced Boot options.
After I select Safe Mode with Command Prompt, it runs through a list of drivers I think and then sends me directly to the blue welcome screen for Windows where it shuts down and the she reboots all over.

I do not have access to another laptop where I can download the software needed to get rid of this virus as shown as alternatives. I am not really a tech savvy person and I don't know anyone that is.

I have an old Dell Inspiron 1501 run by Windows 7 Ultimate. 32 bit I think (if that helps).

When starting the laptop, I have always gotten a black screen with gray letters reading :
Warning : the battery can not be identified.
This system will not be able to charge this battery.
Press Any key to continue.
Press <F2> 2 times to enter setup
Press <F12> and Any key to enter Boot Menu

I've always pressed Enter and I can use it as normal as long as the laptop is plugged in.

Please help me! :(

Birna

Thread author
Apr 17, 2014
I guess removing the virus first? I don't even know... :oops:

There is no important data kept on my laptop, all pictures are put on USB drives right away so I guess if I can't remove the virus I could always try the more drastic options.

Birna

Thread author
Apr 17, 2014
An update - I was able to do the first step in Command Prompt and run the System Restore but this comes up :
System Restore did not complete successfully. Your files and settings were not changed.
Details : System Restore failed while copying the registry from the restore point.
An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070017)

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Forget about System Restore, you will just mess the thing up.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatibale with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them.
Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

Birna

Thread author
Apr 17, 2014
Scratch that - I can't even get into Safe Mode. I've tried 6 times and after I choose that option it gives the green blue startup screen and tells me it's shutting down. It restarts and I'm back to the screen where it tells me press any key to continue and around we go again. :mad:

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
So you cannot get nor into Safe Mode, neither into Normal Windows. I am affraid, you will need transfer FRST from other computer on your USB. Tell me do you have USB Flash and access to another PC.

Birna

Thread author
Apr 17, 2014
I have a USB but I will have to get access to a friends computer to download it from.
When I get that done and on a USB drive, do I plug it in and follow on screen instructions or do I post on here for more detailed instructions?

Thank you for taking the time to help me by the way - I probably would have tried something stupid as trying to wipe the hard drives and or uninstalling Windows on my own. Computer would have turned into a nice paper weight then! :rolleyes:

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
OK, when you transfer Farbar to USB, follow instruction below:

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
  • Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.
  • Restart your computer and tap F8 to bring up the Advanced Menu, then click Repair your computer
  • Follow the prompt to enter keyboard input method, and then the prompt to enter a password. If the machine does not have a password, simply click Enter.
In the next menu, use the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight Command Prompt and press Enter.
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • When notepad opens, click File and select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst.exe and press Enter.
Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.

It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please attach it to your reply.

Birna

Thread author
Apr 17, 2014
Okey, I think this is hopeless. I downloaded the program, put it on a USB, plugged that into my computer and started it up.
Now my laptop won't get past this screen at all :
: Smart Failure predicted on hard disk 4 : Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00-(S1)
Warning : Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure might be imminent. Press F1 to continue.
Even when I press F1, nothing happens. :eek:

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
In this case, I won't be able to help you. You should take this Laptop to repair shop and they will probably need to replace this hard drive.

Birna

Thread author
Apr 17, 2014
I will probably chuck it and spend an extra 100 bucks on a new one. o_O

Thank you so much though. I am definitely loving this website and the help you are willing to give! :D

Reactions: Ink

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.