Chrome 16 beta improves sync, increases security risks

• Thread starter Deleted member 178
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Google has updated both Google Chrome Beta to version 16, and Google Chrome Dev to version 17, respectively.

Chrome Beta’s standout feature is support for multi-user profiles that can be standalone or linked to separate Google accounts for sync purposes. This allows users to access their own personal settings from another machine, but should be considered a feature that’s convenient rather than secure.

Link: http://betanews.com/2011/11/04/chrome-16-beta-improves-sync-increases-security-risks/

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
I think they're idiots for implementing this feature. They are encouraging users to log onto their accounts on other peoples computers but once they've signed in all of their info is free to be looked at at ANY time. No password protection or anything.

Mind-blowingly stupid.

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Hungry Man said:
I think they're idiots for implementing this feature. They are encouraging users to log onto their accounts on other peoples computers but once they've signed in all of their info is free to be looked at at ANY time. No password protection or anything.

Mind-blowingly stupid

Yup, i would rather keep all my stuff private than have it on every computer i log in from

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
Just make sure you always delete your profile after importing it to a computer you don't have control over.

Or use a portable version of Chrome.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Convenient but not Secure. Yes it's right, Other people can go iSpy on your profile.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
you can do all you want , but if the other computer you log in has a keylogger implemented you are done. stupid move, i prefer stick with Comodo Dragon.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
"One thing to keep in mind is that this feature isn’t intended to secure your data against other people using your computer, since all it takes is a couple of clicks to switch between users".

From the article stated by Google Software Engineer Miranda Callahan.

So they really aware about implementing it. And stated that stick to the stable version of Google Chrome as possible.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
imsoadude said:
Yup, i would rather keep all my stuff private than have it on every computer i log in from

I agree. I like to keep my stuff private then having it on like a public library where people can use and get your passwords and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.