cLcL's System Configurations

cLcL

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 6, 2015
so here it is my desktop & notebook configurations, took time because i need to find AV for my notebook. my desktop is always online (cause it's in my home), and i bring my notebook to work (which sometimes doesnt have internet connection). after sometimes trying antivirus programs (Webroot, ESET Nod32, Avast) for my notebook, i think EAM is really good for it, as it has behavior blocker which doesnt really depend on signature. my colleagues plugs their ufd to my notebook all the time, so yeah, i think BB is the perfect fit here.

i used to use avira free+mbam free (w7 and older), then come w8, i stick with WD, but it's really resource-eater (i wonder why some people said WD is light). the cpu usage alone is so high it makes my system (notebook) unstable (sometimes reboot itself), especially after the antimalware executable update (from windows update), so i need to find other av. so thats how i got in this site :)

thanks

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
i stick with WD, but it's really resource-eater (i wonder why some people said WD is light). the cpu usage alone is so high it makes my system (notebook) unstable (sometimes reboot itself), especially after the antimalware executable update (from windows update), so i need to find other av.

It's the incorrect terminology to use "light", not a clue where and why some use that when referring to Antivirus software.

What are your system specifications for your laptop? Does Windows Defender run well on your desktop? Some Windows Updates require the OS to restart, but you should be notified prior.

Reactions: cLcL

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
It's the incorrect terminology to use "light", not a clue where and why some use that when referring to Antivirus software.

What are your system specifications for your laptop? Does Windows Defender run well on your desktop? Some Windows Updates require the OS to restart, but you should be notified prior.

Well now I been schooled once more!:rolleyes: Most times I've sacrificed sleep while logged on to MT, my impressions have been that of Windows Defender being described with the adjective 'light'. Windows Updates have the reputation of being the bane of many users, and so I've opted (mainly) to stick with just the important updates.:)
That said, I've enjoyed your configuration, cLcL, and thank you for sharing it. If you continue to feel good about Avira and are interested in their latest paid version, send me a PM.;)
Thanks.:D

Last edited:
Reactions: donetao and cLcL

cLcL

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 6, 2015
It's the incorrect terminology to use "light", not a clue where and why some use that when
referring to Antivirus software.

it's old laptop. i3 330m, 4 gB ram. intel hd first gen, 320 gB wd blue. the thing is, it's like WD doesnt know when to scan. i mean sometimes i use Matlab to do iterations (can be couple hours) then the harddisk seems working very hard, turned out it was WD (with the antimalware excutable). then my laptop turned it self off (cause of the heat, i believe). this never happened when i test webroot, avast, eset and emsisoft. maybe there's something wrong with my harddisk (or the notebook itself). WD in my desktop is working fine, at the very least it never rebooted itself cause of WD.

Well now I been schooled once more!:) Most of the time I've sacrificed sleep logged on to MT, my impressions have been that of Windows Defender being described with the adjective 'light'. Windows Updates have the reputation of being the bane of many users, and so I've opted (mainly) to stick with just the important updates.:)
That said, I've enjoyed your configuration, cLcL, and thank you for sharing it. If you continue to feel good about Avira and are interested in their latest paid version, send me a PM.;)
Thanks.:D
well, iirc, WD uses ~40 mB ram when idle (and maybe for scanning too) and 70 mB with the antimalware executable. it's indeed light. but my problem that WD seems doesnt know when to scan, so when something's still working, it'll do the scan, that's the cause of overheating in my laptop (it just my conclusion though :D ). And for windows updates, i always updates them all :)

i read that avira detection isnt very good nowadays right? and beside it's signature (and even cloud) base, so i dont think it's not suitable for my laptop which mostly offline. but maybe i'll try it in my desktop later. back when i used avira, i downloaded the offline update in my college then applied it in my desktop in my boarding room (which didnt have internet connection at all), those were good time :D

thanks

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
i read that avira detection isnt very good nowadays right? and beside it's signature (and even cloud) base, so i dont think it's not suitable for my laptop which mostly offline. but maybe i'll try it in my desktop later. back when i used avira, i downloaded the offline update in my college then applied it in my desktop in my boarding room (which didnt have internet connection at all), those were good time :D

thanks

Yes for some reason there is a dramatic changes where its detection rates went decrease and appeared on some independent test organization (except to AV-Test or probably AV-Comparatives)

Still suitable but just be guided on your clicking matters, you will not receive any zero day malware/viruses unless willingly to test them. ;)

cLcL

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 6, 2015
yes, i always use sandbox to open some "shady" programs. :)

for the configs: added mbam free, process explorer (the private and working bytes tabs are really convenient) and adguard for windows (removed ublock and tampermonkey extensions).

adguard for windows is really awesome. you can block any part of a web page easily using its assistant. and it uses less ram too, totally recomended (the price is a bit steep though, imo :D )

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.