App Review Clyance (Home) vs Sophos (Home) vs Voodoshield

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Which Would You Use or Currently are Using

• Clyance

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Sophos

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Voodosheild

Votes: 25 92.6%

• Total voters

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Right SHvFI,
This is why I would say VoodooShield is not for the novice PC user because at this point VS will ask you for input on weather to allow or block the requested exe, and if you don't know or take the time to know what your clicking "yes" or "allow" to, your PC may end up in a world of hurt. All of my gaming buddies that are above average PC enthusiasts run Voodoo many of them exclusively and have not had infections for well over a year.
PeAcE
In a way you are right but in most cases you are online when downloading and running stuff so you should be fine most of the time.

The program looks good and it's better then I thought (tested with a few exploits and "tricks"). The downside is that is not for average user because it has a lot of FPs, mainly because of VirusTotal and the AI.

Also, what does the program do if you already have an infection and you install it?
It asks you on install if it's a clean install so it could do an extensive whitelist. If you click no it will whitelist nothing except everything in Program files and critical windows processes(Default setting in free version).

G1Z23K2.png

If you have an infected system most programs can't help because either they can't do it or the user doesn't know enough to do it. In theory one could "clean" the system with the help of VS but it's not practical as you can guess.

And I guess when offline it mention on the popup to connect to internet for cloud verification/analysis, right?
Yes, it tells you to connect to the internet.
Lqlqg54.png

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@NullByte
The FP ratio drops dramatically once trained, and it depends on what the user is doing with his or her PC.
For instance I have a set of things I do and places I visit on my PC, this does not change much for me and I have yet to have A FP for over a year, when I know I am about to introduce a new software or exe to my Voodoo, I place it in the "Install" mode or "Training", Voodoo will remember the software or exe, and remind me what mode it is in too so I don't forget and leave in that permissive mode.
As for the infected PC install, contact Dan over at wilders he can give the input there as I don't want to speak for him, but I imagine it would be the same as installing any "anti-exe" on an infected system.
PeAcE

Last edited:

DJ Panda

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Added a pool for which product you use or think you would use. You may select multiple choices. Just to keep my opinion short and simple I like Voodosheild. However, I know pretty well I am a paranoid person. Probally more than most people on the fourm. So I end up believing in a layered security approach. I am a gamer but I will take my chances with slowdowns and such. Thanks for the cotribution to the people in the thread and remember to keep it clean. :)

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Great Vid :)
I voted Voodooshield in the poll,which will come as no surprise to those that know how highly I rate both Voodooshield & Dan..
I have no experience of Cylance at all,and only have experience of Sophos on Android.

Regarding the comments that VS may not be suitable for a novice user...
I do understand what you are saying,but when I imagine a novice trying to best configure an AV such as Avast,or a Firewall such as Comodo...then I think that VS compares quite favourably :)

D

Deleted member 2913

Sophos Home - Free - Decent protection
Cylance Home - Paid - Costly - No User Control
VoodooShield - Free/Paid - Blacklist Scan (VT) + Excellent VoodooAi + Different Modes, Excellent Protection - My Vote

I am waiting for final release of VoodooShield.
But I do try VoodooShield Betas
I have Pro version.
Whenever I try VS Betas, I test VAi sensitivity levels @ Default 100, @ 90 & @ Lowest Level Reckless.

VAi default sensitivity level is @ 100
Have you tested VAi sensitivity level @ Reckless i.e Lowest?

I kinda like VAi @ Reckless
I have compared VAi @ 100 i.e Default & @ Reckless i.e Lowest
I have noticed that programs detected as Unsafe @ 100 are detected as Unsafe @ Reckless too (VAi scores are different but verdict Unsafe)
I have noticed that most programs with Suspicious verdict @ 100 are allowed @ Reckless i.e no Suspicious verdict. And VAi Suspicious verdict is little sensitive.
So I find @ Reckless too provides good protection i.e programs with Unsafe verdict @ 100 are detected as Unsafe @ Reckless too. And most programs with Suspicious (Sensitive) verdict @ 100 are allowed @ Reckless i.e no Suspicious verdict. So @ Reckless kinda provides good protection with good usability/less FPs/less Sensitive Suspicious verdict.
But my little test was with couple harmless samples & programs I use.

I wonder how VAi @ Reckless will perform against malware? I really would like to see VAi @ Reckless against malware. I think would be interesting.

Anyone would like to test VAi @ Reckless against malware Or comparison test @ Default 100 & @ Reckless i.e Lowest?

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
VAi default sensitivity level is @ 100
Have you tested VAi sensitivity level @ Reckless i.e Lowest?

I wonder how VAi @ Reckless will perform against malware? I really would like to see VAi @ Reckless against malware. I think would be interesting.

Anyone would like to test VAi @ Reckless against malware Or comparison test @ Default 100 & @ Reckless i.e Lowest?
I would also be Interested to see how VAi performs at differing setting levels...just for curiosity:)
I set my VAi at 120% but am yet to "naturally" encounter a situation where i can compare the reaction at 120% to the default.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Voodoshield have shifted more on the concept, of course having AI is a big factor to have accurate pop-ups; but still much better than relying traditional aspects.

People must read and understand carefully how Voodoshield works since it can defeat the purpose when mishandled.

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Nice video review...
Sophos and Cylance already had a heated discussion and now Voodoshield joined the fray. As Voodooshield has the same concept as AG I wouldn't doubt the result in terms of protection as clearly shown in the video and that was in "AutoPilot" even increasing it to 10,000 samples the result would still be the same. On average how many malwares do we encounter per month?!

VS its not that hard to use even for a novice, although a few learning curve is needed having added Ai and Cuckoo Sandbox made decision making in VS a lot easier. If anyone want to change from pure AV to an isolation/anti-exe/cloud then Voodooshield would be the perfect choice.

H

hjlbx

I have been very critical of VoodooShield in the past, even sarcastic, but compared with Sophos (without Surfright technology implementation) and Cylance, it will blow them both away in terms of protection. My concerns in that case would only be average joe home user usability.

Well said @FleischmannTV ...

Learning to use Voodooshield is no more difficult than a n00b trying to learn all the "stuff" in your typical internet security suite... in fact, it is a whole lot less to learn with VS - with much greater protection.

N

NullByte

On a first look, this product looks amazing. If you start testing it and also watch the video that they made you will notice that is useless or in the best case, a cheap version of SecureAPlus.

First let's talk about the video. It doesn't matter what AV you will test, VoodooShield will always win because the test is made that way. The person who did this test is using deception and unethical behavior to show how bad other products are (don't get me wrong they are bad, but not as bad as they showed in the video), they use this tool to count the "EfficacyTest" and the results are inaccurate because if you look at the video from start to finish you can see that a PUP or other type of maware that shows a pop-up message will count as fail and this is not true and also, products like Avast and other product that requires time to analyze the sample will fail by default.

The second issue is with the product itself, they have two ways of detecting malware. The first one is VirusTotal and it's good but the amount of false positives is beyond any limit (I will talk about this in detail) and the second way of detecting malware is the AI, form what I've seen and tested the AI is not an AI and it's not learning anything, it's just a simple way of checking the file (if the file is signed, location, if it requires admin rights and so on), an IA engine QVM by Qihoo. Another issue with the AI engine is the "score", when you execute a malware you know it's a malware and the score is not that relevant, but if you execute some clean files and the score says it's 50% clean and 50% malware what you will do? how do you judge when you allow and when you block ?

In the end, the story is the same as with other products and that is a shame. If you take this software and you make a test (it's questionable how you decide that a file is a malware and not) and after the test you do a false positive test and add to the final result you will notice that this product blocks everything and it doesn't learn that a file is good or bad. PS: if you make a file in C that will say "hello world" this product will flag it as malware and if you use a portable application it will say the same even if the file is safe.

If you don't have an active internet connection this product is useless. I think that SecureAPlus is way better and if you wanna use an Anti-Exe program you have AppGuard or NVT ERP.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.