Battle "Common Sense" "Great Browsing habits" vs reallity (test)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RmG152

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Hi, I always read about common sense, great browsing habits, etc. are the best security "product", but I think NOT. I will put them a demo and hope to answer honestly.

Imagine that one has a problem and after speaking with forum members, administrator (eg @Umbra Polaris ) leaves a link to antimalware software.

I'll leave to you now 2 links (like I'm helping you) and a survey. One of the links will be a "safe" link (this forum) and another be one "dangerous" (youtube video) ...

1- http://goo.gl/e3smEV
2- http://goo.gl/2eBuJj

Enjoy

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Too EZ
bVYFD1C.png

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
I use in all suspicious links. Even if i click an unsafe website if you have all software updated a download is needed to be infected. So if there is your_favorite_game.exe in a music website that would be suspicious no? I only reccomend "common sense" for "advanced users" that can detect when the file is safe or trap

Reactions: avast! Protection

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I am not sure what this topic is about, but from what i read it seems you first have to read up about what common sense and good browser habits mean. I can recommend you some of the guides i wrote (See signature)

But to keep it short for you, there are some basic practices that every computer user on the planet should hold on to, and if they would do that, then the hack and infection rate across the globe would drop like a brick from a airplane.
90% of all infections and crashes happen due to the users very own actions and there is not a single security package available that would protect the user from its own stupidity.

Cheers

RmG152

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
I use in all suspicious links. Even if i click an unsafe website if you have all software updated a download is needed to be infected. So if there is your_favorite_game.exe in a music website that would be suspicious no? I only reccomend "common sense" for "advanced users" that can detect when the file is safe or trap

I think you ignore this:
Imagine that one has a problem and after speaking with forum members, administrator (eg @@Umbra Polaris ) leaves a link to antimalware software.

You directly untrue it because if a test, but if links are posted here http://malwaretips.com/threads/malware-removal-assistance-how-to-get-help.20334/ you untrue it?

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
I think you ignore this:
Imagine that one has a problem and after speaking with forum members, administrator (eg @@Umbra Polaris ) leaves a link to antimalware software.

You directly untrue it because if a test, but if links are posted here http://malwaretips.com/threads/malware-removal-assistance-how-to-get-help.20334/ you untrue it?
I would click and there is no problem. But i would check first if its safe "virustotal, sandbox, antimalware". I never said security software is not necessary i just say you dont need so many in "make tons of false positives mode"

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No, because I don't execute unknown downloads. If the file is downloaded, I check if it's trusted before running or run via VirtualBox (ie. latest IObit Uninstaller) to test the program. And I check the source of my downloads. For example: Some downloads are Adware installers, so I'm careful to not to install the unwanted crapware. If available, I get the portable editions.

IMO, it's easy to not get infected*, unless you do not take the precautions or you're just an ignorant PC user.

On a side note, now that I have upgraded from Core to Pro of Windows 8.1, I can disallow execution of any file in the Downloads folder.

*made corrections

Reactions: Dani Santos
D

Deleted member 178

i don't trust any, because i can recognize non-legit links, also i used to go to safe sites and a link to a malicious site can't be similar as a legit site.

facebok.c0m is not facebook.com

RmG152

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
No, because I don't execute unknown downloads. If the file is downloaded, I check if it's trusted before running or run via VirtualBox (ie. latest IObit Uninstaller) to test the program. And I check the source of my downloads. For example: Some downloads are Adware installers, so I'm careful to not to install the unwanted crapware. If available, I get the portable editions.

IMO, it's easy to not get infected*, unless you do not take the precautions or you're just an ignorant PC user.

On a side note, now that I have upgraded from Core to Pro of Windows 8.1, I can disallow execution of any file in the Downloads folder.

*made corrections

You don't find .exe after URL, you find browser exploit to directly install malicious program in your computer (yes, that exploit can bypass sandboxie)

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
You don't find .exe after URL, you find browser exploit to directly install malicious program in your computer (yes, that exploit can bypass sandboxie)
that only happens if you have exploits in the browser and leave the plug ins always on. And there is always a thing suspicious in exploit websites. And very few bypass updates programs

RmG152

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
that only happens if you have exploits in the browser and leave the plug ins always on. And there is always a thing suspicious in exploit websites. And very few bypass updates programs

Now you add "updated programs" to "Common Sense" ;)

And tin this case (your post) Updated programs > Common Sense
sorry @n.nvt but I need your post (you say it in your guide, but not in this post)

Now post like this:
Hmmm
- Common Sense
- Great Browsing habits
- Windows firewall
- Windows build-in security features

= winner

are transformed to:
- Updated programs
- Common Sense
- Great Browsing habits
- Windows firewall
- Windows build-in security features

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Common sense won't protect when the website into which you are entering things like Credit card info has been hacked, nor will it save one when Server FTP credentials have been compromised so that the normally safe download isn't that safe anymore.

Common sense also doesn't protect when the IT guys at your favorite website turn out to be dummies. Case in point here is the recent Target breach. Even though those Target IT 'professionals" received numerous alerts from Symantec Endpoint as well as FireEye (and I've personally seen the FireEye logs and they go on FOREVER), they informed those monitoring that all were False alerts and should be disregarded.

Whom the Gods would destroy they first make Proud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.