App Review Comodo Firewall 10 Setup

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
CF doesn't use AV definitions (CIS yes, CF no). Properly configured, CF affords superior system security. Some say that using the "CS settings" in CF pre-empt any AV program protection, rendering it valueless. OTOH having a basic AV running alongside CF isn't hurtful. Avast Free and 360 Total Security (free) have been suggested in CS threads (although some users are distrustful of the latter).

fwiw, I tried both avast and qihoo, but settled on EAM with cf@cs. no issues seen.

Reactions: AtlBo and shmu26

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I also prefer HIPS to containment.
If you spend time on crafting HIPS rules, it is a good idea to export to a file (from the configuration menu) because Comodo suffers from a "forgetting rules" bug. It might never happen to you, and it might happen to you twice a week. Better safe than sorry.

Very good point. I update this if I make a number of changes and keep several around. Works too for testing settings. Just use the saved settings to revert if you don't like changes made.

End the end i tried Avast free which has worked well so far.

Avast and Qihoo are the two I use. Of the two I like Avast better, but Qihoo fits very well and has a nice niche if you don't mind going to the trouble of blocking promoutil.exe from running (ads module).

CF doesn't use AV definitions (CIS yes, CF no). Properly configured, CF affords superior system security. Some say that using the "CS settings" in CF pre-empt any AV program protection, rendering it valueless. OTOH having a basic AV running alongside CF isn't hurtful. Avast Free and 360 Total Security (free) have been suggested in CS threads (although some users are distrustful of the latter).

Yes, CF without a-v is very strong but it has no detection. Viruscope is in experimental stages. As @shmu26 mentioned, don't overlook the value of the Advanced->Miscellaneous->heuristic command-line monitoring. I have added a bunch to the list, but I think it's a fairly good list to start. Also, I have enabled all of the "Embedded Code Detection" options for all of them. I only run into an issue with a single plugin from Qihoo for Chrome, but that's more something I think I would describe as possibly a sketchy way for Qihoo to connect the a-v to their web extension app. Other a-vs don't have this issue, and seems like they could come up with another way other than using command line.

For anyone who might care to see the command line heuristics settings I have been using are in the attached pic. Took them from a list I found for NVT ERP for its vulnerables list. Not sure this works on exactly the same principle, but I am fairly certain that all the script running apps are covered.

Attachments

• Embedded Code Detection.png
    Embedded Code Detection.png
    173.4 KB · Views: 398

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I have enabled all of the "Embedded Code Detection" options for all of them. I only run into an issue with a single plugin from Qihoo for Chrome, but that's more something I think I would describe as possibly a sketchy way for Qihoo to connect the a-v to their web extension app.
Same issue with Sticky Password's Chrome extension.

Reactions: AtlBo

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Hi,

I'm trying to find a freeware security combo (Antivirus + Firewall), with the best "low system impact" and "maximum protection" possible relation.
Today, I am testing Avast Antivirus Free (AF) + Comodo Firewall Free (CF).
This is my first time with CF. I watched @cruelsister video, and followed his settings.

Please, my questions are:

1) The AF sandbox ("Virus Chest") supposes to have the same function as "Auto-Containment" in CF. In this case, are @cruelsister settings redundant?

2) I understand that certain level of redundancy, is always welcome. But, let's say that AF is enough against virus, malware, exploits, ransomware etc. In this case, and focusing at CF just as a plain firewall, what could be CF best settings to work along with AF?

3) CF has options like "Web Site Filtering" or "ViruScope" etc. It seems to me a kind of redundancy with AF (with potential interference). May I disable "Web Site Filtering" and "ViruScope"? What else can I disable in CF to work with AF without redundancy?

Thanks a lot!

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
What else can I disable in CF to work with AF without redundancy?
I suggest that you are getting this backward. If you use CF with CS (fyi... her) settings you do not need Avast at all. If that's too radical for you, simply keep Avast as an AV solution alone alongside CF.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I suggest that you are getting this backward. If you use CF with CS (fyi... her) settings you do not need Avast at all. If that's too radical for you, simply keep Avast as an AV solution alone alongside CF.

Thank you @Telos for your answer.

I read many commentaries where @cruelsister mentioned that this CF settings should be enough.
But I also read many CF veteran users, sharing lots of worries in other commentaries.

As a zero knowledge CF user, I have my own doubts and worries.
As I mentioned, I am just doing a test, I want to continue my test, and I still want help.

So I repeat my post:

I'm trying to find a freeware security combo (Antivirus + Firewall), with the best "low system impact" and "maximum protection" possible relation.
Today, I am testing Avast Antivirus Free (AF) + Comodo Firewall Free (CF).
This is my first time with CF. I watched @cruelsister video, and followed his settings.

Please, my questions are:

1) The AF sandbox ("Virus Chest") supposes to have the same function as "Auto-Containment" in CF. In this case, are @cruelsister settings redundant?

2) I understand that certain level of redundancy, is always welcome. But, let's say that AF is enough against virus, malware, exploits, ransomware etc. In this case, and focusing at CF just as a plain firewall, what could be CF best settings to work along with AF?

3) CF has options like "Web Site Filtering" or "ViruScope" etc. It seems to me a kind of redundancy with AF (with potential interference). May I disable "Web Site Filtering" and "ViruScope"? What else can I disable in CF to work with AF without redundancy?

Thanks a lot!

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Recently installed Comodo is one of my systems. Got some giveway and grabbed Bullgurad. So uninstalled comodo and installed Bullguard.
But to my surprise even after uninstalling Comodo I kept getting security alert from it. I knew comodo is buggy but never knew this much.

Reactions: frogboy

Morphius

Level 1
Sep 13, 2011
Recently installed Comodo is one of my systems. Got some giveway and grabbed Bullgurad. So uninstalled comodo and installed Bullguard.
But to my surprise even after uninstalling Comodo I kept getting security alert from it. I knew comodo is buggy but never knew this much.
What kind of alert?
It's probably due to their DNS being still enabled.
Just clear out them and you will be 100% Comodo free :)

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
What kind of alert?
It's probably due to their DNS being still enabled.
Just clear out them and you will be 100% Comodo free :)

No actually. It was Internet Security alert which was saying something like Comodo Detected invalid root certificate which belongs to Bullguard.
DNS errors are fine.

Reactions: frogboy

Rebsat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
I'm thinking about creating a combo using ESET Internet Security instead of ESET NOD32 Antivirus with Comodo Firewall so I can take full advantage of ESET Internet Security modules like Antispam and Botnet Protection.
Question:
1. Do you think that this combo would work properly without any protection break?
2. If I use cruelsister's settings which HIPS has been Disabled in Comodo Firewall also if I Disable Firewall in ESET Internet Security then Will they still conflict in any way?

I'd greatly appreciate it If anybody would like to help me here. Thank you very much ;)

Last edited:

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
It's "Internet Security Essential". It gets installed with the main Comodo product (IS or FW)

Might be. But I can not see anything under windows uninstall list except Comodo Dragon. I was still getting the issue after uninstalling everything Comodo related. Sadly I had to restore :( .

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
You can disable Hips in Eset but what about Eset drivers? this is not only about the Gui! there are hidden things that we don't know....
Conflicts between services, drivers, processes and... pls consider that ESET IS will manage the firewall and install some drivers related to firewall same for comodo ! they will not work together(maybe work and you can't see anything wrong but what about secrets?:D)you have to pick one of them :)instance of using comodo go for Eset+sandboxie (paid or free) and I think its better:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.