App Review Comodo Firewall vs an API exploit redux

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Did you try testing Comodo at default settings?

D

Deleted member 2913

I too would like to see how defaults perform against this/any/all threats.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
The default settings will fail against many things, this one included. I will never bother to use defaults in any trial as under no circumstance would I use CF in that manner. As it is no great burden (a few seconds?) to bump the protection level up why on earth would a user not do this?

You can easily find many topics and/or Videos about "Comodo Breaches" and inevitably these folks have the Sandbox settings untouched. Is this reticence or lack of knowledge the fault of the product? If you'll allow me to butcher a line from Shakespeare:

“The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves"

Don't use defaults.

D

Deleted member 2913

In real world scenario CIS default settings are very strong with very good usability. The only thing I change is setting FW to ask for unknown.

Offcoz custom settings are more protective but affects usability too especially when CIS sometimes gives probs with legit apps. HJLBX & me have talked about this quite a lot. Especially connections are affected i.e sometimes CIS generate FW alerts for trusted apps & custom settings i.e FW set to block for unknown in this scenario will block the connections for the trusted apps.

For me tests are tests & good to know how a security software handles threats/handles threats with different config, etc... Real world scenario is not the same like tests & products have different modules to provide protection with layered approach.

CIS defaults is not weak. Just as custom settings sets more restrictions for the programs i.e in CIS case restrictions for unknown programs i.e not allow unknown programs to fully operate or block them, defaults too provides an equivalent protection for unknown i.e one can hit block on the alert.

I do wish CIS provides more options on the alert for "Run Isolated" i.e expand options with all the sandbox levels, Full Virt - Default, Limited, Restricted, etc...

kmr1684

Level 3
Verified
Jun 23, 2014
As I haven't been kicked off MT (yet) for off-topic posts please let me quickly present the Comodo trial against the API exploits.

sorry i did not get it, why you have to kick out,:confused: hey this forum is just a debate place and this not dictator conference you had to kicked out, :confused:do not say anything like this, just pour more videos like this.:cool: you know something, crystal has so many cuts and dimension, same way do technology and as well people who testing it, with out these, then nobody knows what worth the technology they are using as well as people who testing it. so for each and everything in this forums, some debates, arguments, even quarreling will be there,:p:D then only forums become more interesting with out it it is like dead animal,:rolleyes: not interesting that is the point, keep up the good thing coming up.:cool: we love to watch it.;):D:D:cool:

ps: come on lets start another debate..........................:p:D:p

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
KMR- It was a joke (I guess a bad one) on my part. I went a little overboard the other night (morning, actually). I had just finished up a project that I had been working on for about 18 hours/day for a few months and had just come back from celebrating with my team. I am aware of no Universe, either real or parallel where posting on the Internet when still tipsy from drink is ever a good thing.

In short, MT is a wonderful place and I'm proud to be a member.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

kmr1684

Level 3
Verified
Jun 23, 2014
hi, only one request make those videos pouring in and give us something to argue, debate, even quarrel without these its boring.......:rolleyes::rolleyes:
so please do not stop that whatever you are doing.......:D

ps: always remember every point or even every problem has so many dimensions and even every holes (where ever they may be) still carry so many dimensions, so lets start over again:D:p

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.