App Review Comodo FW bypass malware the sandbox (sandbox hips off + on) and voodooshield (autopilot)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Davidov

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
David- at 22 seconds of the video above (and at 22 seconds of the original video) there is a Sandbox setting in the 3rd position. This is a general setting that had to be created as it is not default. At Default Comodo would only have the General settings in positions 4, 5, and 6.

As a comparison look at the 49 second mark of my video (post 29). You can disregard the first 2 (Ignore) as these are specific to SeaMonkey and Java.

So where did this General Rule on your video come from?

Hello cruel sister's first game is infestation and the other is a T-cleaner both legitimate files.With java it has nothing to anis Saemonkey.

Last edited:

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Hello cruel sister's first game is infestation and the other is a T-cleaner both legitimate files.With java it has nothing to anis Saemonkey.

I think that she is asking what is this 3rd rule (green in picture)?
Normaly you only have this 3 (orange in picture).

Clipboard01.jpg

UPDATE:

I just installed Comodo Firewall and this is what default settings is:

Clipboard02.jpg

Last edited:

Davidov

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
The third is a default folder.The last stanza Shared used instead, I use a desktop folder Download Now
1 — Postimage.org

Here is my config for Comodo uploadnut can download and try.

comodo FW setings.cfgx

Does not part the player application, browser, etc. I have one rule for all untrusted for applications beyond recognition.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
despite the pathetic denial of facts and pathological defensiveness that I saw in certain posts -- not on this forum -- it does seem that Voodooshield has taken note of the problem.

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
If the verdict on malware and why tonight after updating the database is still recognized as the most secure ????
After the update already did have to be labeled as malware by cloud or reputation.
I think they are having some problems with Valkyrie. They did mention that it's not ready. Another idea would be that trusted malware go trough a different process that I do not know. OR They changed their mind since it could be a clean file (as I did not check the file).
BUT here's an interesting fact: I have submitted yesterday an unknown file and it was added to signatures immediately. Link: Advanced File Analysis System | Valkyrie

Perhaps someone should report it on their forums here:
Report trusted and whitelisted malware here- 2016 (NO LIVE MALWARE!) - AV False Positive/Negative Detection Reporting

Either way, they were always bad at cloud part. It's not a bypass though. :)

davetenay

Level 2
Verified
Jul 31, 2015
I saw in cruelsister's video that the process is fully virtualized, BUT is labelled as "trusted installer" by Killswitch. Maybe the message asking about the elevate privileges appeared before CIS could make the check up online? Could it be the reason why in cruelsister's video the file was sandboxed although considered safe by CIS?

Coder

Level 1
Verified
Sep 6, 2015
Hehe now i am so curious about this that i want to test this sample
myself against Comodo which i have used for 5 years without any infection.
So were can i find this sample??

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
These tests prove nothing about the effectiveness of Voodooshield to block malware which in my opinion is still exceptional.

All they do prove to me is:

1. The tester must fully understand in explicit detail how the product(s) they're testing work

2. Don't test two products together that perform similar protections or functionality that overlaps

3. Test real and not "theoretical" malware

3. Don't' shout "bypass" unless you are a malware testing expert - maybe PM the developer first and give them a chance to test (Oh no you can't do that because then you won't have chance to gain popularity by posting a video that discredits the developer/product)​

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
despite the pathetic denial of facts and pathological defensiveness that I saw in certain posts -- not on this forum -- it does seem that Voodooshield has taken note of the problem.
That IMO is extremely harsh and unwarranted. Dan did what any developer would do which is defend his product, and quite rightly so, because clearly this wasn't a "bypass".

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I think they are having some problems with Valkyrie. They did mention that it's not ready. Another idea would be that trusted malware go trough a different process that I do not know. OR They changed their mind since it could be a clean file (as I did not check the file).
BUT here's an interesting fact: I have submitted yesterday an unknown file and it was added to signatures immediately. Link: Advanced File Analysis System | Valkyrie

Perhaps someone should report it on their forums here:
Report trusted and whitelisted malware here- 2016 (NO LIVE MALWARE!) - AV False Positive/Negative Detection Reporting

Either way, they were always bad at cloud part. It's not a bypass though. :)
This is not the first time I have seen people report that COMODO "updates" failed to update their local machines properly with the new whitelist or blacklist

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
Disclaimer: I have nothing against any product. I'm pretty sure there is no issue but I'm just saying that I do not like the interpretation...

Why is VoodooShield tested against "blocking"? I find that very confusing. Shouldn't it be tested against local Sandbox? Am I misunderstanding? To me it means nothing as I could easily rely on UAC or/and scripts.

H

hjlbx

Disclaimer: I have nothing against any product. I'm pretty sure there is no issue but I'm just saying that I do not like the interpretation...

Why is VoodooShield tested against "blocking"? I find that very confusing. Shouldn't it be tested against local Sandbox? Am I misunderstanding? To me it means nothing as I could easily rely on UAC or/and scripts.

Voodooshield is an anti-executable so it is appropriate to test its blocking capabilities.

Davidov

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
I tested the malware as a normal user that may infect wild. I have nothing against the developer and I like voodooshield comodo.Ale even casual users will also do different counting starts and will be relying on him to keep the product and will not edit anything.

It is the forum that is why we are discussing. If this is the "experts" do not like at the Create room for experts only, or test only by the developer.Here is the general public and everybody has the right to say his opinion.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I tested the malware as a normal user that may infect wild. I have nothing against the developer and I like voodooshield comodo.Ale even casual users will also do different counting starts and will be relying on him to keep the product and will not edit anything.

It is the forum that is why we are discussing. If this is the "experts" do not like at the Create room for experts only, or test only by the developer.Here is the general public and everybody has the right to say his opinion.
I personally appreciate your time, effort and contribution to the community by making these issues public, so thank you.

hamo

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2014
Why is the fact that Dan at VooDooShield was banned on MT even being brought up in this thread :confused:
If weren't a member in 2013 then you do not know the reason and this fact has no bearing whatsoever on the Company,the Software or this thread.

I am a member here in MT since 2014, I do not know the reason why Dan banned, all I know how Dan is Polite and a distinctive personality
I know that throw some PM between us here in MT, Wilders Forums and emails.
I just wonder !
I do not talk here about developer OR how VS good or bad, I taking about good man.

Perhaps Forum commitment laws is the reason, Who know?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Dan is a very nice guy and very generous as well as accessible. However when posts start going with the "Fanboy" talk and that a certain member was banned then this now has crossed the line between what is relevant and what is completely off topic.
We just need to stay on topic or the thread will be closed to solve the problem.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.