App Review Comodo Internet Security 8.2 BETA Review (Languy99)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
I

illumination

Thread author
Im not a Comodo fanboy, but believe their product to have great potential. I would like to ask those of you that point out the "scandal", whether you guys would prefer Norton Company over Comodo? I ask this for a very good reason..

Take a scroll down this linked page to FBI cooperation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_AntiVirus

P.S. Take note to the stated fact that other "leading Anti-VIruses" also whitelisted it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

yigido

Thread author
Thanks for pointing the video ;) I saw these..
Pros:
- Faster Updates (Languy said)
- Lighter on system than previous version
- Better AV Module (%85 ratio which is better. And after run AV module can stop actions in Sandbox)
- Fixed Sandbox Issue (Fixed as "Run in sandbox which coming from internet")
and as usual system protected :)
Cons : Removal is slow :/

Reactions: bitbizket

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
....There's some serious vendetta going on against Comodo....

Until really proven otherwise(Privdog doesn't mean nothing to me since last September),I will support their product.Doesn't mean I will not try other suites...(like 360 Total and Internet Security)

H

hjlbx

Thread author
It is improving ... now if only they would add better web-content filtering database (1st layer of protection) then it would be better.

Comodo not so good if you have spouse/kids that do not know what they are doing.

Wreck your settings ... and maybe wreck the system.

Yigido ... I think you should submit request to password protect access to GUI - not just virtual kiosk.

Reactions: bitbizket

Raider Red

Level 2
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
And I'm no Norton fanboy but issues 5-6 years ago ....doesn't mean they never change...their current NS Backup is getting high praise and scores. One nice thing about Comodo...you have a lot of options for control and tweaking. I wouldn't run it in default mode since it has all of the options to tighten it up...Chiron has some pretty good insight on that.

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
Im not a Comodo fanboy, but believe their product to have great potential. I would like to ask those of you that point out the "scandal", whether you guys would prefer Norton Company over Comodo? I ask this for a very good reason..

Take a scroll down this linked page to FBI cooperation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_AntiVirus

P.S. Take note to the stated fact that other "leading Anti-VIruses" also whitelisted it.

You may include Trend Micro to the list.

I won't trust Comodo either this recent escapade will be not be last.. i won't be suprised.

PS: One of the greatest threats to privacy and security on line, their personal information and on line activity, is, and has been for a while, Google (and other companies as well) even the ones that suppossed to protects you from harm. Trust no one.

Y

yigido

Thread author
Yigido ... I think you should submit request to password protect access to GUI - not just virtual kiosk.
Password protection is already there. If it is enabled, you can open the gui but when you try to change a setting, then you need to enter password.
No need to lock gui access witha password.
By the way, you can open an account on Comodo Forum and you can creat your wishes in required format :)
See : https://forums.comodo.com/wishlist-cis-b131.0/

Reactions: cruelsister

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
illumination I don't care if Norton cooperated with the FBI. Comodo is suppose to protect it's users, that's the industry they are part of. Why install a product (which is installed in their browser, by default) which has the ability to replace certificates with their own? As stated by the US Government, if you were to visit a fake page, which you thought was your bank, and you entered your login details, but it was a criminal in charge they could wipe your bank account, that is a serious issue! Whether or not Comodo has potential is a different matter, but I would not trust them, and when people start to not trust you, then you have a problem.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Comodo not so good if you have spouse/kids that do not know what they are doing.
Wreck your settings ... and maybe wreck the system.

One can pretty much prevent this by:
1). enabling the sandbox
2). setting the Firewall to automatically block unknown (sandboxed) processes from accessing the Net
3). Suppressing all alerts and having the default action chosen automatically.
4). Password protecting these changes as Yigido noted above.

Reactions: rocky
R

rocky

Thread author
Actually it works quite well with kids for us. If you use the right settings they never know it is there. We have twin 3 year olds watching Mario Kart on You Tube and a 10 year old trying to fill Minecraft with mods. The sandbox is pretty interesting some days. I really don't know of anything else that would come close to working as well. This is just the firewall with sandbox the hips disabled. To use this way you just have to remember all you use the sandbox for is bad and unknown , open your browser out side the sandbox and it will sort the rest out on it's own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cruelsister
I

illumination

Thread author
illumination I don't care if Norton cooperated with the FBI. Comodo is suppose to protect it's users, that's the industry they are part of. Why install a product (which is installed in their browser, by default) which has the ability to replace certificates with their own? As stated by the US Government, if you were to visit a fake page, which you thought was your bank, and you entered your login details, but it was a criminal in charge they could wipe your bank account, that is a serious issue! Whether or not Comodo has potential is a different matter, but I would not trust them, and when people start to not trust you, then you have a problem.
The whole point to my post was to not blindly trust any of them. It was not just Norton, and allowing a backdoor into your system is just as dangerous if not worse then replacing certs.

Would i personally use Privdog, um no... Would i completely condemn all of their products because of this, no. Am i aware of on going issues in the trusted vendors list, yes.. I was using CIS for a few years, not to much i do not know about it. Do i still trust the product to keep my machine clean, yes. Does their way of making money through the Admedia and Privdog seem shady, yes. Could they benefit from ditching these ways, and ditching all the side products, investing all their time into the main product, and then charging a fee for it like everyone else to support, yes.

Im a "just the facts" kinda guy. And the fact is, it is hard to trust any of them at this point, but some have potential.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I agree 100% that Comodo does have a lot of potential, especially their up coming product, and yes, it is very difficult to trust them, I think Kaspersky you can trust to not put a backdoor in place for the FBI or NSA.

Reactions: yigido

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.