Daniel Batal talks about Filmora "lifetime license"

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Here is another example on this topic. When I tried to go to the original source of the article 'The Financial Times' it opened to a paywall :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Lifetime licenses were always a scam.

There are zero guarantees with lifetime licenses after x period of time, or after x version number. Companies can offload them whenever they want.

What’s more profitable in the first year?
  • 1000 sales of "lifetime licenses" at $100
  • 1000 sales of 1 year licenses at $40

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
I see them as a gamble. If you are early to buy them and the company sticks to their word you can have a nice software for a long time cheap.
So far I'm mostly happy with the ones I bought over the years. E.g adguard. Sandboxie I had for quite some time so I still consider it a bargain.

jv16

From Macecraft Software
Verified
Developer
Jan 2, 2023

There are zero guarantees with lifetime licenses after x period of time, or after x version number. Companies can offload them whenever they want.

I don't think that's fair. My company has had a lifetime license for many years and we have always honored that. I hope any company that offers a lifetime license but doesn't honor that gets sued, either by individual customers or by a class action lawsuit.

And people should absolutely sue Wondershare for not honoring their lifetime license. It should be fairly straightforward case. A company cannot just decide one day that they no longer follow a promise like that. As far as I know, there was nothing in their original contract (end user license agreement) that would allow them to do this. And even if there was, there are things like unfair contract clauses, which can be taken to court.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.