Dept of Justice Ransomware infection

cman220

Thread author
Verified
Jun 25, 2013
Not good. tried to use a 3/24/2015 restore point. it loaded and ran for maybe 10 minutes. Then reported it did not complete successfully. Unspecified error 0x800700b7.
And when I closed that dialog, the PC shut down immediately (without me using a shutdown command).
Tried to restart to recovery mode, it starts to load for about 30 seconds and then shuts down.
did a battery pull.
Tried normal restart, worked, still infected of course.
Then tried safe mode restart. That worked, and I could get to task manager.
One other note on recover/system restore. There was a 3/25/2015 date, a 3/24/2015 date, and then the next dates were like in 2013. I didn't write everything down at the time, but 3/25 and 3/24 were labeled critical updates, and the older 2013 files something different.
So at this point, cannot re-enter recovery mode.

cman220

Thread author
Verified
Jun 25, 2013
Say it requires a 32gb flash. will have to go buy one. A have 16mb drives only.

cman220

Thread author
Verified
Jun 25, 2013
Man, I must be old and getting alzheimers or something. So sorry for my idiocy man. Do know why I looked at the same 32mbytes multiple times and kept thinking GB to myself!!!!

cman220

Thread author
Verified
Jun 25, 2013
Very sorry to bug you on this. Clean PC is 32bit XP. So I cannot launch HitmanPro_x64. I can run HitmanPro (32bit).Will that work? Infected PC is Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

cman220

Thread author
Verified
Jun 25, 2013
64-bit will not launch on my XP "clean" PC. Ran 32-bit Hitman on cleanXP to try to create USB. Hangs up on initial choose USB screen. Tried twice, just locks up PC using 100% CPU. Did restarts, etc.

Options:
1) get access to a 64-bit system PC to run 64-bit Hitman to create 64-bit USB Hitman boot USB.
2) try to use something entirely different other than Hitman.

cman220

Thread author
Verified
Jun 25, 2013
Understand. I will get access to another PC to create Hitman then. Is it correct that I need to use a 64-bit PC to create a 64-bit launch disc? Thank you very much for all your help and patience in this.

cman220

Thread author
Verified
Jun 25, 2013
Not quite sure what I have going on here.

Created HitmanPro USB on a Windows 7/64-bit laptop (running HitmanPro x64 to create)...
Boot attempt 1: selected to boot from USB, used USB boot option 1. Did about a 30 second loading files screen, then it went into a startup repair sequence, would not let me cancel (I didn't try cancel soon enough). Finished, could not repair/no file changes (it reported) and booted me to a normal startup (still infected).

So I went to boot attempt 2 and 3: Again to boot options, select USB, then get USB boot options, select 1, says its loading HitManPro USB.
Get the 30-second loading files screen, then in about 10 seconds a small Microsoft Window logo name appeared with a horizontal progress bar, this ran about 5 seconds...then PC shuts down. Same result both times.

Boot attempt 4: all same USB steps, loads files, takes me to startup repair dialog (which is same Lenovo screen background as in the recovery mode). Canceled this startup repair immediately this time. Which put me back into System Recovery Options. Doesn't this indicate that PC is not actually booting from USB at all?

Checked USB disc, has the three files installed as indicated in Hitman documentation.
Thanks for any further help you might be able to provide. May be blowing HD away and reloading is only option....

cman220

Thread author
Verified
Jun 25, 2013
So this virus seems to be extremely thorough in blocking its removal. Likely it will have some barriers to reinstall as well.
Thanks for your help sir.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.