dllhost.exe virus and multiple instances of explorer.exe

bigbad2380

Thread author
Oct 31, 2014
I have run into the dllhost.exe issue that seem s to be around. I believe I have gotten rid of the infection, but now I am seeing 2 instances of explorer.exe running in task manager and exploit fake type 1753 pop ups through avg. I have run multiple scans in both standard boot and safe mode, but have not found the root cause. Attached are the FRST scan and addition scan as well as adwcleaner scan.

Any help with this will be appreciated.

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    43.5 KB · Views: 73
  • FRST.txt
    63.5 KB · Views: 81
  • AdwCleaner[R5].txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 54

argus

Former MalwareTips Staff
Verified
Apr 24, 2014
You have two antivirus
AVG AntiVirus Free Edition
Kaspersky Anti-Virus

Can be only one!

Open notepad and copy/paste the text present inside the code box below.
To do this highlight the contents of the box and right click on it. Paste this into the open notepad.
NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to the operating system
Code:
HKU\S-1-5-21-4218786125-342861366-579278092-1001\...A8F59079A8D5}\localserver32:  <==== ATTENTION!
CHR Plugin: (Coupons Inc., Coupon Printer Manager ) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npCouponPrinter.dll No File
CHR Plugin: (Coupons Inc., Coupon Printer Manager ) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npMozCouponPrinter.dll No File
CHR Plugin: (downloadUpdater) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npdnu.dll No File
CHR Plugin: (downloadUpdater2) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npdnupdater2.dll No File
SDWinLogon.dll
EmptyTemp:
2. Save notepad as fixlist.txt to your Desktop.
NOTE: => It's important that both files, FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.
3. Run FRST/FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needed a restart please make sure you let the system to restart normally and let the tool completes its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach it to your reply.
Note: If the tool warned you about the outdated version please download and run the updated version.

Last edited:

bigbad2380

Thread author
Oct 31, 2014
Here you go, it ran without issue, but I'm still seeing two instances of explorer.exe, one of which uses a ton of memory, sometime over 1 gig and all I have running is one instance of chrome, with this tab being the only one open

Attachments

• Fixlog.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 59

argus

Former MalwareTips Staff
Verified
Apr 24, 2014
Scan with Combofix:
  • Please download ComboFix by sUBs and save it to your Desktop.
    You may read how Combofix works here.
  • Temporarily disable your AntiVirus program, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may interfere with Combofix.
    If you are unsure how to do this please read this or this Instruction.
  • Run ComboFix. Click on I Agree! & follow the prompts.
    Note: If you see a message like "Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion" just restart your computer.
  • When finished, it will produce a report for you. Please attach log reports (ComboFix.txt) back to topic.
    (typical log location: C:\ComboFix.txt )

bigbad2380

Thread author
Oct 31, 2014
Here you go. I downloaded Kaspersky yesterday after reading on another forum that it was able to detect the issue causing the multiple explorer.exe entries, but it came up clean. Should I wait until the end of this fix to delete?

Attachments

• ComboFix.txt
    32.1 KB · Views: 67

argus

Former MalwareTips Staff
Verified
Apr 24, 2014
Okay, Combofix is clean, but ...

You have Kaspersky and AVG. Need to uninstall one.

It is necessary to uninstall ComboFix :
  • Click Start (or
    VistaStartButton.png
    ) then Run.

On Windows7 or Vista you may use Start Search field if Run is not available.
  • In the line of text type in (Copy) the following:

Code:
    ComboFix /Uninstall
    Note that there is a space between " ComboFix " and " /Uninstall " .
  • then click OK (or press Enter ).

Wait for the uninstall process is complete.

=========================================

The following will implement some post-cleanup procedures:

=> Please download DelFix by Xplode to your Desktop.

Run the tool and check the following boxes below;
checkmark.png
Remove disinfection tools
checkmark.png
Create registry backup
checkmark.png
Purge System Restore

Click Run button and wait a few seconds for the programme completes his work.
At this point all the tools we used here should be gone. Tool will create an report for you (C:\DelFix.txt)

The tool will also record healthy state of registry and make a backup using ERUNT program in %windir%\ERUNT\DelFix
Tool deletes old system restore points and create a fresh system restore point after cleaning.

Is everything ok now?

bigbad2380

Thread author
Oct 31, 2014
Everything is cleaned up and Kaspersky has been removed. I'm still seeing a second instance of explorer in task manager, though not all the time. I included a screen shot, should I be concerned? Also upon reboot, I noticed two instances of dllhost.exe, but not the multiple entries or the memory issues that I had been having.

Attachments

• Task Manager.png
    Task Manager.png
    159.6 KB · Views: 115

argus

Former MalwareTips Staff
Verified
Apr 24, 2014
Scan with Combofix:
  • Please download ComboFix by sUBs and save it to your Desktop.
    You may read how Combofix works here.
  • Temporarily disable your AntiVirus program, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may interfere with Combofix.
    If you are unsure how to do this please read this or this Instruction.
  • Run ComboFix. Click on I Agree! & follow the prompts.
    Note: If you see a message like "Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion" just restart your computer.
  • When finished, it will produce a report for you. Please attach log reports (ComboFix.txt) back to topic.
    (typical log location: C:\ComboFix.txt )

argus

Former MalwareTips Staff
Verified
Apr 24, 2014
Once again check

Please download Malwarebytes AntiRootkit (MBAR) and save it to your desktop.
For full instructions how MBAR works, read this article

> Doubleclick on the MBAR file (
mbar.png
) and allow it to run.
• Click OK on the next screen, to allow the package to extract the contents of the file to its own folder named mbar.
mbar.exe will launch automatically. On some systems, this may take a few extra seconds. Please be patient and wait for the program to open.
• After reading the Introduction, click Next if you agree.

• On the Update Database screen, click on the Update button. Once you see 'Success: Database was successfully updated' click on Next
• Under Scan Targets ensure all boxes are ticked. Then click the Scan button.

Notice: with some infections, you may see two messages boxes:
- 'Could not load protection driver'. Click 'OK'.
- 'Could not load DDA driver'. Click 'Yes' to this message, to allow the driver to load after a restart. Allow the computer to restart. Continue with the rest of these instructions.

>> If malware is not detected, click the Exit button to close the program and post the mbar-log-year-month-day.txt and system-log.txt reports.

>> If an infection/s are found ensure Create Restore Point are ticked. Then select the "Cleanup! button to remove threats.
• The clean up procedure will be scheduled for process, pop-up will be shown.
Select the Yes button and the system should re-boot to complete the cleaning process.

>> Notice: only if an RootKit are detected, ensure to run fixdamage.exe tool located in mbar folder, \Plugins\fixdamage.exe
- Run fixdamage.exe, at the black window to continue type Y (alias for Yes). Wait few seconds for execution ...
- When you see "press any key to exit" fix is completed, press any key to close the window. Reboot the system.

> The following reports will be created in mbar folder:
1. mbar-log-year-month-day (hour-minute-second).txt
2. system-log.txt

Please post both logs in your next reply.

bigbad2380

Thread author
Oct 31, 2014
Here you go, no malware was found on this scan either

Attachments

• mbar-log-2014-11-01 (14-50-35).txt
    2 KB · Views: 43
  • system-log.txt
    20.7 KB · Views: 53

bigbad2380

Thread author
Oct 31, 2014
So far looks good, only one instance of explorer.exe and no dllhost currently. my cpu usage is under 10%, and physical memory is under 50%. No warnings from AVG so far either. I think we might be good. At this point do i need to uninstall combofix and run delfix?

bigbad2380

Thread author
Oct 31, 2014
Thanks! I rebooted after deleting everything and I still get a second instance of explorer, but it seems like that may be something unrelated since neither entry is eating up much memory at all at this point, and no dllhost at all. I'll keep an eye on things, but I think we should be good. Couple beers headed your way.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.