Battle Emsisoft Anti-Malware vs Comodo Antivirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
  • Resource Usage (eg: CPU, RAM) - Comodo (though EAM has its optimization feature)
  • Real World System Impact - Both
  • User Friendliness - EAM is slightly more user friendly
  • User Interface - Not counting settings page, both are user friendly in terms of front page presentation
  • Level of Protection and Features (eg: Antivirus , Firewall, Behavior Blocker) - Tie, both have good levels of protection
  • Overall Winner - none in this case as both operate separately and both are as good.

H

hjlbx

It appears you are referring to Comodo AV and not Comodo Internet Security.

On my system, W8.1, I have used both Comodo and Emsi.

Emsi does better overall for me; it is much...much less buggy than Comodo. Additionally, I do not experience the compatibility issues with Emsi that I did with Comodo.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Regarding in protection and features seems Comodo AV can handle it more in experience/advance users as it incorporates like Sandbox and others.

Emsisoft yet very strong on its providing signatures and their BB so no problems on configuration that can handle not just for advance users but also at novice level. ;)

Y

yigido

Resource Usage (eg: CPU, RAM) : Both is greatly light on RAM and CPU. While scanning Comodo can make your hardware crazy ;) and while you opening a folder which is full of .exe's.. It takes some time because Comodo's signature size is so big!
Real World System Impact : You cannot even realize the both are there
User Friendliness : Emsisoft is the user friendly solution then Comodo, Comodo need more more user interaction!
User Interface : It is a matter of your eyes, in my opinion Comodo is better. I do not like huge interfaces.
Level of Protection and Features (eg: Antivirus , Firewall, Behavior Blocker) : Both behaviour blocker is great, you can see on tests. I do not mean detection, on zero-day packs, these two is great tools to protect you even you are off-line ;)
Overall Winner : In my opinion Emsisoft is the winner because their detection is better alongside its great behavior blocker.

Emsisoft is better. Comodo AV is decent AV. It has auto-sandbox to stop zero-day malwares and EAM has one of the best behavior blcoker.
If you have money go to Emsisoft, other than that, go to CIS to full protection solution ;)

Z

zbc1

* Resource Usage (eg: CPU, RAM) - COMODO
*Real World System Impact - COMODO
*User Friendliness - EAM
*User Interface - Both are good.
*Level of Protection and Features (eg: Antivirus , Firewall, Behavior Blocker)
Antivirus (Detection): EAM
0 day protection (Prevention): COMODO (Firewall, Sandbox, HIPS and Viruscope)
*Overall Winner: None. IMO best combo is EAM + CFW.
I recommend this combo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
  • Resource Usage (eg: CPU, RAM) : COMODO. Emsisoft's dual engine takes up a lot of RAM as it loads its signatures into the memory. Memory optimisation merely hides these signatures by not storing them in the RAM.
  • Real World System Impact: Emsisoft is better as it is less buggy. The RAM usage should not be a problem on most 64bit systems as you already have more than enough RAM.
  • User Friendliness: Emsisoft. COMODO is more for people who want to tweak everything to their satisfaction.
  • User Interface: Emsisoft.
  • Level of Protection and Features (eg: Antivirus , Firewall, Behavior Blocker): Depends. A well configured COMODO is equivalent in protection to Emsisoft with its behaviour blocker. However I feel that if you fully utilise all of COMODO's features (e.g. Hypervisor security etc.) you might have the slight edge over emsisoft. But emsisoft's behavior blocker in paranoid mode is enough to block over 90% of zeroday malware in my tests out of the box.
  • Overall Winner: Emsisoft. Emsisoft focuses on one thing and it does it very well (its behaviour blocker). Comodo is trying to include every single security feature in existence into a single mega package. Comodo does things in general relatively okay, but each component is not stellar.

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
Emsisoft is great for inexperienced users. I've just installed it on a PC of an inexperienced user and I'm sure the user is protected. Emsisoft is really "install and forget".

As for Comodo - it's really vice versa. Comodo is great for experienced users and really "install and never forget". :D

Y

yigido

Emsisoft is great for inexperienced users. I've just installed it on a PC of an inexperienced user and I'm sure the user is protected. Emsisoft is really "install and forget".

As for Comodo - it's really vice versa. Comodo is great for experienced users and really "install and never forget". :D
Comodo always reminds itself like "Heeyy. I am here :D" :D

Reactions: tonibalas

scot

Level 9
Verified
Dec 5, 2014
Emsisoft Anti-Malware is absolutely a clear cut winner over Comodo Antivirus in my opinion and lot of people will agree with me here.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014

There you have it Solarlynx and yigido said it all except one thing.
If you tweak Comodo for max protection it will be a bit more heavy on the system in contrast with default settings;)
My opinion? Both are good and at least for me none of them gave me any bugso_O:)

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
  • Resource Usage (eg: CPU, RAM) : COMODO. Emsisoft's dual engine takes up a lot of RAM as it loads its signatures into the memory. Memory optimisation merely hides these signatures by not storing them in the RAM.
A good observation included there. I would amplify it that it's harder to maintain/cover multiple engines and you're increasing the exploit surface.

H

hjlbx

Emsisoft is much easier for novice to learn and manage.

Emsisoft is particularly well-suited to W8/8.1 systems.

Good compatibility, usability and learnability.

Solid, respectable.

However, I will concede...Comodo is damn good for a completely free product.

Reactions: tonibalas

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
LOL, yep! :)

There you have it Solarlynx and yigido said it all except one thing.
If you tweak Comodo for max protection it will be a bit more heavy on the system in contrast with default settings;)
My opinion? Both are good and at least for me none of them gave me any bugso_O:)
Then you are lucky to encounter no bugs from Comodo. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.