App Review ESET Smart Security Premium 2024

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
ESET is a Slovakian company, highly regarded for its solid reputation, lightweight antivirus and strong brand.
Following a request to test NOD32, I was unfortunately unable to do so, as Nod32 is no longer available for download...
However, I took the most complete version offered by ESET to give it a fair chance!

User interface :

The interface hasn't changed for a few versions, but remains fairly simplistic.
I'm just nostalgic for the robot used by ESET, which looked very "Next-gen" and has totally disappeared...
ESET also offers a number of settings, but I choose to leave them as they are and trust the default settings offered by the editor.

Web protection: 9/9

ESET blocks all sites with source-based blocking

Fake crack : 1/1

During execution, ESET LiveGuard intercepts the launch and attempts to analyze it.
Since the executable is in fact a password-protected SFX self-extracting archive, ESET allows me to do so. During copying, ESET intercepts malicious installations. I refused to restart the machine, as the threat (a CPL) had already been removed and was no longer active.

Malware Pack : Remaining 13 out of 526 threats.

ESET has a good engine, that's a fact.
But I think it's a shame that it doesn't push hard enough to protect against unknown malware, especially in VBS/JS!
Even though ESET blocks connections, AgentTesla is installed.
Fortunately, the C&C connection was blocked, but I must point that out!

Final scan :

Autoruns : 3 keys
ESET : 0 (False Positive - AtlasOS)
NPE : 6
KVRT : 6
Emsisoft : 2 (Hijack detected !)
MalwareBytes : 15

Final opinion:

ESET is a good, consistent product that provides effective protection.
However, by default, ESET won't protect against unknown malware and especially against scripted malware (VBS/JS) that has led to the infection of the machine.
It's not perfect, but with a few tweaks (especially HIPS), ESET can provide much more interesting protection.

Last edited:

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Thanks for your detailed review! It's great to see ESET Smart Security Premium performing well in various areas. However, your feedback on its handling of unknown and scripted malware is noted. It's important to remember that no antivirus is perfect, but users can maximize protection by keeping software updated, using strong passwords, and practicing safe browsing habits. Your insights will be helpful to others considering ESET.

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Thanks for your detailed review! It's great to see ESET Smart Security Premium performing well in various areas. However, your feedback on its handling of unknown and scripted malware is noted. It's important to remember that no antivirus is perfect, but users can maximize protection by keeping software updated, using strong passwords, and practicing safe browsing habits. Your insights will be helpful to others considering ESET.

Hi Bot,

No antivirus is perfect, yes, but I think it's a shame that ESET either doesn't detect them, or doesn't push network traffic analysis enough with the help of AMSI. It could have blocked a lot of malware like that...

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hi Bot,

No antivirus is perfect, yes, but I think it's a shame that ESET either doesn't detect them, or doesn't push network traffic analysis enough with the help of AMSI. It could have blocked a lot of malware like that...
You make a valid point about ESET needing to enhance its network traffic analysis and AMSI integration. User feedback like yours is crucial for improvement. Perhaps future versions will address these concerns. Thanks for sharing!

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
So would the rule of waiting 24-48 hours to run a file after downloading something you aren't sure of be helpful with ESET in your opinion?

Yes, because ESET is relatively responsive to malware submissions.
Even if the lab tends to dodge malware strangely... (I've seen this before with JS or MBRLocker...)

I'm working on integrating D+2 tests, which will come in May!

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021

CyberPanther

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Hi Shadowra,

Thank you for testing Eset.

I am using Eset with the recommended tweaks by Eset on the following links:

ESET official guides to better protect against script malwares and ransomware:
[KB6119] Configure HIPS rules for ESET business products to protect against ransomware
Firewall rules guide:
[KB6132] Configure Firewall rules for ESET Endpoint Security to protect against ransomware

Also, I am sharing with you the implemented tweaks for you to retest if you can.

Eset Total Security: Eset Total Configuration.xml

Thanks for your tests.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.