10358577_10152808772235908_993932821951720711_n.jpg

Source

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Every security software providing different security options which is confusing ! who is the best ?:rolleyes:
There is no best, that's why each security vendor offer different solutions to their competitors.

As the PC user, if you have the basics covered, then Security / AV is an additional layer above an updated/patched/secure OS.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
The basics are common sense.
Maintain safe online practices know where you are going and who you are visiting.If you do not know ,check.
Avoid downloading cracks and Key Generators.Unless you personally made them don't use them.
Don't click on something your not familiar with or seems to be too good to be true
Don't Download something from a source you do not know to be reputable or without checking.
Don't install any software or programs from a source other than the vendor unless you know that source to be reputable such as MojorGeeks etc.
Use a secure Password manager such as LastPass and make sure you use strong passwords and do not use the same passwords for multiple sites.
Keep your emails,personal information (SS #,Pin#,Account #'s,Address,Phone #,etc.) and social media accounts to yourself.Share only with people you know or sites you know to be reputable such as Ebay,Amazon,NewEgg,etc. for example.
Educate yourself and keep yourself up to date on the latest scams,malware and exploits.It really helps if you know whats going on around you especially when it is ever changing.
Make use of security measures that are built in to your OS such as UAC and Smartscreen.I know UAC can be a pain but getting rid of something nasty can be worse.To this day every time it pops up it makes me think for a moment.
Keep your OS updated and patched.These are usually security updates that address vulnerabilities and are important.
Browse or run new programs in a sandbox such as Sandboxie.Technically not really part of the basis it is surely an added measure of protection.

No security software is 100 % it is just an added measure of security.Which one is best can only be answered by you based on your system,needs and habits.Most all offer trials which are the same as paid software.Best advice is to try those you you might like and choose which works best for you.

Reactions: Xtwillight

Mazhar

Jun 30, 2014
ESET IS NOT AMONG THE TOP TEN IN 2014

Take a look at http://internet-security-suite-review.toptenreviews.com/

The site is the most tested, widely user acknowledged and critics' corroborated site when it comes to who is a top notcher and who is a back-bencher.

I personally tested most of the software ranked high by this site and found its findings 100% accurate.

ESS is nowhere.

Bitdefender still rules the roost though I know, ESS is definitely a good IS protection but you need to tweak it up a lot. Average plug and play user would be better off with Bitdefender or Norton than ESS. But for those guys who are always on the exploration overdrive, ESS is certainly ahead than others.

ESS help guide is not at all good. For a persistent ESS problem like "Personal firewall initialization failed" when malware makes a toast of your Winsock catalog and cuts your Internet, ESS support and KB articles are horrible.

I had to find out my own solution with Complete Internet Repair v2.1.0.2103 and Winsock Repair v1.0.0.1001, two lovely appz when you despair over virus glitches on your network. And once the Internet is restored, DISABLE Local Area Connection if you are on Cable or DSL before shutting down PC. ENABLE them again after you power on your PC.

ESS is a top beauty but with some ugly freckles on its unseen body. Good luck!

Reactions: kiric96

WalterWolf

Level 3
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
ESET IS NOT AMONG THE TOP TEN IN 2014

Take a look at http://internet-security-suite-review.toptenreviews.com/

The site is the most tested, widely user acknowledged and critics' corroborated site when it comes to who is a top notcher and who is a back-bencher.

I personally tested most of the software ranked high by this site and found its findings 100% accurate.

ESS is nowhere.

Bitdefender still rules the roost though I know, ESS is definitely a good IS protection but you need to tweak it up a lot. Average plug and play user would be better off with Bitdefender or Norton than ESS. But for those guys who are always on the exploration overdrive, ESS is certainly ahead than others.

ESS help guide is not at all good. For a persistent ESS problem like "Personal firewall initialization failed" when malware makes a toast of your Winsock catalog and cuts your Internet, ESS support and KB articles are horrible.

I had to find out my own solution with Complete Internet Repair v2.1.0.2103 and Winsock Repair v1.0.0.1001, two lovely appz when you despair over virus glitches on your network. And once the Internet is restored, DISABLE Local Area Connection if you are on Cable or DSL before shutting down PC. ENABLE them again after you power on your PC.

ESS is a top beauty but with some ugly freckles on its unseen body. Good luck!

Top Ten Reviews is worst page ever,BIS is 1st maybe 6 years or less not really sure but i know it's long.Now look at BIS in real life,i mean in real life BIS isn't very good :)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I dont know what to say except I have been using ESET since version 2 pre Smart Security and I have never been infected.

Forgive me if I find these BIS results hard to swallow.I have tried it and it was buggy,problems installing on Windows 8 when it was supposed to be Win 8 compatible and worse BSOD's.I am sure it is better now but ESET ran without any problems when Win 8 was first released until now.

Ashampoo_Snap_2014.10.25_13h59m07s_001_.png

Just a coincidence that the winner is offering an exclusive savings deal ? I will stick with ESET thanks :)

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
ESET is such a joke nowdays, I try to enable "Botnet Detection" and when I click 'enable' it does nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.