Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Sophos said:
It's been nearly 10 months, but finally, the wait is over: We can now run Facebook searches to find single women who like men and like getting drunk and who might happen to mention such things in posts and status updates.

Thanks goes to the rollout of Facebook Graph Search's ability to search every single public Facebook post and status update ever made, announced by Facebook on Monday.

The searches can be modified by time - "All of my posts from 2012," for example - location, or the people who participated.

Graph Search for post and status updates is rolling out slowly to a small group of people who currently have Graph Search, Facebook says, including those who signed up for the limited beta of Graph Search, announced in January.

That small group does not include me, which hampered my ability to search selfies so as to determine how soul-crushingly embarrassing this is all going to be.

It's not a field day for reputation ruining, at any rate. Privacy controls still pertain.

Those who run Graph Searches can only see content that has been shared with them, including posts shared publicly by people who aren't friends.

But it's worth noting that the broadening of Graph Search's capabilities opens up all public posts ever, as well as any posted shared directly to each user, to aggregation.

Most of us, I'm sure, are kind of fuzzy on the details of what, if any, truly embarrassing Facebook status updates we've left behind in our more-or-less slimy trails.

We should all bear in mind that Facebook updates are set to be public by default.

That's got much to do with the fact that Facebook is interested in encouraging users to open up conversations to strangers

Read more: http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/10/02/facebook-graph-search-can-now-paw-through-your-posts-and-status-updates/

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.