Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What OS do you use?

Windows 8.1/8 uses Fast Startup to launch the OS, except during a reboot/restart, where it performs a full cycle.

Switching to a SSD will provide better loading times, far better than software alternatives.

Reactions: jamescv7

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Simply reduce startup items and services which makes pretty sum it up.

AV varies on booting and shutdown times so hopefully you should not sacrifice the performance over protection.
Good specification of your computer should solve everything,

Reactions: frogboy

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
You didn't say what OS you are using nor if you are an advanced user.

If advanced, Microsoft's Xbootmgr (command line), a part of the Windows Performance Toolkit, is an excellent Boot/Shutdown trace utility.

If not advanced, try WinPatrol free to see what is starting with Windows. One can Enable/Disable/Delete things on the fly. Also you might want to refer to the excellent Blackviper Service Configuration guides to view what Services can be safely Disabled.

http://www.blackviper.com/

Reactions: frogboy

Alzie

Level 1
Verified
Well-known
May 3, 2014
if you use ccleaner under tools it shows start up programs on your computer you can disable any that are not needed at start up

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
Boot up for me's fine, but shutdown's very slow... Any advice on speeding that up?
Using 8.1

Last edited:

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
Here's a trick I found long ago for Windows 7:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Control\ Session Manager\ Memory Management

Modify (and if not present, right-click in open space and create) the Value Data Type/s and Value Name/s :
Data Type: REG_DWORD [Dword Value]
Value Name: ClearPageFileAtShutdown
Setting for Value Data: [0 = Clear Page File Disabled / 1 = Clear Page File Enabled]
Exit Registry and Reboot.

After that it's basically down to how many programs are set to start up at launch. Cut those down, and you'll see improvements. With the registry tweak alone, my system saw a vast improvement and I barely had to wait at all. It's a very safe edit, unlike many other tweaks out there. If you don't see better results, change the 0 to a 1 again and you're no worse off than you were. Do note that sometimes Windows Update can reset the value, so you may want to look in there once in a while to make sure the tweak has stuck. Be careful with BlackViper. While generally safe, there can be some exceptions to the rules depending on your setup and what you use the system for.

Last edited:

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
You didn't say what OS you are using nor if you are an advanced user.

If advanced, Microsoft's Xbootmgr (command line), a part of the Windows Performance Toolkit, is an excellent Boot/Shutdown trace utility.

If not advanced, try WinPatrol free to see what is starting with Windows. One can Enable/Disable/Delete things on the fly. Also you might want to refer to the excellent Blackviper Service Configuration guides to view what Services can be safely Disabled.

http://www.blackviper.com/
I've looked at that Viper website many times before, but have always not really read it much.

Like are the services that it mentions to disable useful in any way?

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Windows automatically defrag your boot files while booting at windows startup, this will use a lot of your HDD when starting your computer. Personally I like it disabled, and I use Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro for manual defragmentation. This way my boot speed is stupidly fast for a regular HDD.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows automatically defrag your boot files while booting at windows startup, this will use a lot of your HDD when starting your computer. Personally I like it disabled, and I use Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro for manual defragmentation. This way my boot speed is stupidly fast for a regular HDD.
Any tips or How To disable it?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I agree to @Huracan, 7 days is more to the maximum level; because at the beginning of their day, using computer is always in the bucket list whether its productive or just browsing.

Backup should never be forgotten. ;)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I've looked at that Viper website many times before, but have always not really read it much.

Like are the services that it mentions to disable useful in any way?

yes they are especially for Win7, i use it after every fresh reinstallations. You have to know that Win8 basic setting delayed startups of non-necessary services.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
yes they are especially for Win7, i use it after every fresh reinstallations. You have to know that Win8 basic setting delayed startups of non-necessary services.

How do I follow the recommendations on what to disable (The site is making me a bit frustrated)

Do I just disable according to the table that it has listed below?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
How do I follow the recommendations on what to disable (The site is making me a bit frustrated)

Do I just disable according to the table that it has listed below?

yes mostly , you just have to follow the proper column.

Reactions: Oxygen
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.