Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
3RbtjWM.jpg

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Confusing! I read from several articles on the web that Microsoft representatives said that even pirated Windows copies (Windows 7-8.1) will receive a free upgrade!

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Confusing! I read from several articles on the web that Microsoft representatives said that even pirated Windows copies (Windows 7-8.1) will receive a free upgrade!

That's because Microsoft says something one minute and changes it the next.

....And a key isn't that much at all.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
That's because Microsoft says something one minute and changes it the next.

....And a key isn't that much at all.
Is it really true that they have changed it already? In the Get Windows 10 tray icon, it says that my FREE upgrade is reserved. (I'm not using genuine license)

Reactions: Koroke San

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Is it really true that they have changed it already? In the Get Windows 10 tray icon, it says that my FREE upgrade is reserved. (I'm not using genuine license)

I'd assume that you'd be forced to pay after you upgrade to Windows 10, It would be wise if you actually bought a geniune license so that you can upgrade without trouble.

I'm not exactly sure why Microsoft would offer free upgrades to pirates in the first place.

Sloth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2015

You won't get a retail key. That installation will continue as an insider (i.e. beta) version and MS will use such installation to test new updates before rolling them out to genuine installations.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
What if the license is OEM?
Can I upgrade to Windows 10 directly without problems?
Is the manufacturer the one to give Windows 10 to OEM license users?

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Aw snap just when i thought was simple it all turns out to be as clear as mud again. :eek::confused::)

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
I think its something like the AV vendors do. Like if you have 2014 version then you will get 2015 version for free. So, if you have Win 7 or Win 8 then Win 10 is free for you. Thats it.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
What if the license is OEM?
Can I upgrade to Windows 10 directly without problems?
Is the manufacturer the one to give Windows 10 to OEM license users?

Well a lifetime license (OEM) is observe when upgrade to WIndows 10 but one of the conditions to follow:

1) Expect that during the process of installation and upgrades, OEM application may remove so better manual to install if you are one of them.

Reactions: XhenEd

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Well a lifetime license (OEM) is observe when upgrade to WIndows 10 but one of the conditions to follow:

1) Expect that during the process of installation and upgrades, OEM application may remove so better manual to install if you are one of them.
Thanks!
If I understand you correctly, OEM softwares that are installed will be removed if they're not compatible with Windows 10. So, I better reinstall them. Am I getting you right?

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
You have? The only mention of that I've seen was for xp users in China.

Anyone can keep using Insider builds for free indefinitely....chart is missing that...of course, that isn't really an upgrade.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@XhenEd : Little close but here's a concrete information that stated on this thread . ;)

4. OEM applications which usually come preinstalled in branded computer systems, may be removed during upgrade.

5. If Windows 10 setup finds incompatible software in your system, it'll ask for your permission to uninstall them. You'll have to accept the removal request to upgrade to Windows 10.

Reactions: XhenEd and frogboy

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
thanks for information. but how about OEM license? is it still count as genuine?

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
OEM license is still a valid license. Since the free upgrade is only good for that device, it effectively converts it to an OEM license if it wasn't already.

Reactions: jamescv7

Sloth

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
@everyone asking about OEM license. I'm pretty sure that OEM installs can also be upgrade to Win 10 OEM but since its a OEM license, you won't be able to use that key in another machine.
  1. If you have a retail version of Win 7/8/8.1, you'll get a retail version of Win 10 which you can use in a new machine.
  2. If you have a OEM version of Win 7/8/8.1, you'll get a OEM version of Win 10 which you can use only in the old machine.
  3. If you have a pirated version of Win 7/8/8.1, you won't get a Windows authenticated license but you can be a "beta tester forever" by using the insider version.

I hope this clears the confusion.

Reactions: jamescv7 and XhenEd
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.