Status
Not open for further replies.

Dima007

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
Last week, a new wave of Internet censorship began in Turkey after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan claimed at an election rally that he would "eradicate Twitter." Hours later, Twitter was blocked. Now it looks like the ban has expanded to include YouTube.

The Turkish telecommunications authority TIB said on Thursday that it was taking an "administrative measure" against YouTube, reported Reuters.

The news quickly spread to Twitter, which is still banned inside of the country.

While Turkish residents were originally getting around the Twitter ban by changing their Domain Name System (DNS) settings, recently the Erdogan government has been cracking down, forcing Twitter users to download mobile virtual private network (VPN) apps or tweet via text message.

This is not the first time YouTube has been blocked. The previous ban started in 2007 and ended in 2010, and "trained a whole generation on basic circumvention techniques," Zeynep Tufekci, an assistant professor at the School of Information and Library Science at the University of North Carolina, previously told NBC News.

The ban comes after conversations implicating Erdogan of corruption were leaked on YouTube last month. Important local elections are scheduled to be held on March 30, 2014.

A "source at the prime minister's office" in Turkey told Reuters that the ban was related to leaked conversations about a potential military operation in Syria and that it might be lifted if the offending videos were removed from YouTube.

Google, which owns YouTube, confirmed that some users in Turkey were not able to access the site.

"There is no technical issue on our side and we're looking into the situation," a company spokesperson told Reuters. NBC News has reached out to Google and will update the story as it develops.

Reactions: Prorootect
Y

yigido

I am from Turkey, and most of ppl can access these site with VPN Solutions.
@Fantasy which state do you live ?

Y

yigido

Turkey is far from North...
Freedom of expression is a basic foundation of democracy.
I'm not sure what's really going on there or who is right, but
hope for a happy ending:)
I hope so.. He says always "we have democracy" but all world see now that Mr. Erdogan's understanding of democracy

Reactions: Prorootect

looda

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 11, 2014
this is very bad for Turkey were is the citizen ? how thy don't do anything ? look what happened in Egypt the citizen made revolution and take back there country from the brotherhood of Islam ( I mean the terrorists ) how stayed only one year

Y

yigido

this is very bad for Turkey were is the citizen ? how thy don't do anything ? look what happened in Egypt the citizen made revolution and take back there country from the brotherhood of Islam ( I mean the terrorists ) how stayed only one year
You just saw what TV or your media shows you. Just google it "Gezi Parkı Turkiye"

Mateotis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014

Seeing that Twitter won a legal case against a government, things should go back to normal soon, hopefully. Making a revolution wouldn't worth it.
Also, you can always get past the filters, heck, even the prime minister (?) tweeted and put up videos during the block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.