Guide | How To Fixing an Unbootable System w/ Black Screen

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
These days I have a problem:Black Screens. Right before login. It was related to a faulty update in conjunction with a driver of the Dell mouse, that made the black screen happen. If you need help, please contact me (I have plenty of experience with this).

First: Unplug any attached cables and restart

Sometimes, simply disconnecting a mouse or cable is enough to cure a startup problem. The first time it happened to me, yanking the mouse solved the problem. However, sometimes it's not the solution.

Second: Restore From Safe Mode

If the above doesn't work, force-restart your computer. A window will pop up about using safe mode. Press enter on the "Safe Mode" option and navigate to system restore to restore your computer to when there was no black screen. If the black screen occurs still on restart or it occurs when boot up on Safe Mode, go to the next step.

Third: Run Chkdsk

If it even doesn't allow you to go into safe mode, run Chkdsk by tapping the F8 key and selecting the appropriate choice (Don't remember the exact name but it's something like check drivers). Restart your computer when it's done and see if it worked. If not, go to the fourth step

Fourth: Use Startup Repair

If you still can't get to the login/desktop screen, run startup repair by tapping the F8 key and selecting "Repairing Your Computer". Put in your language and fill out the form, the. Select "Repair Your System" and wait for it to finish.

Fifth: Restore Your System Using Recovery Options
This is probably the last chance to get your computer working. Do the same as the fourth step but instead select "Restore Your Computer" and wait for it to finish.

Sixth: Hardware Problem...

If all attempts failed, it might be a hardware problem. Check your video graphics card and replace it to see if it doesn't work. If your processor, HDD, or Memory failed it's better to get a new computer.

Hopefully this helps you :)

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
BSOD actually contain useful error codes which with proper understanding will tell you the exact source of the problem. This greatly narrows down the search in most cases and learning that the numbers have a meaning can greatly reduce the fear people experience when BSOD show up ;)

Reactions: Arakasi

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
BSOD actually contain useful error codes which with proper understanding will tell you the exact source of the problem. This greatly narrows down the search in most cases and learning that the numbers have a meaning can greatly reduce the fear people experience when BSOD show up ;)
This is for a Black Screen Of Death, not the infamous Blue Screen Of Death...

Reactions: Cowpipe

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
When the system doesn't boot is a more appropiate name.

I've had that a few times with various systems I've fixed. In my cases it's been caused either by overheating or corrupted memory. Soldering a new heat sink fixed the former and running chkdsk from the recovery console fixed the latter ;)

Reactions: Arakasi

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
With bsods, if you have a programming environment such as visual studio, its super easy to diagnose, debug, and repair almost any bsod.
Bluescreenview works pretty good to for converting the dump into lamers terms.

If you need assistance with a broken boot sector on windows 7 follow my guidelines:

Boot.ini file corrupted or you want to change the default boot OS,or if you want to add another bootable OS to the boot.ini file
run bootcfg command with options from recovery console as follows:

Fixboot command
writes a new boot sector to the system partition, when run from the Recovery Console menu

FixMBR command
When you have a No Boot Device error
FixMBR recreates Master Boot Record on your disk.

Typically when you get a No Boot Device Error, Do this :
1) Check the BIOS for correct hard disk drive settings.
2) Run FixBoot
3) Run FixMBR
4) Copy Netldr
5) Copy Netdetect
6) Run Bootcfg /rebuild if needed.

:)

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
As cowpipe stated, chkdsk fixes all sorts of windows indexes and corrupted system files, and is very good at restoring a non bootable hard disc.
The best approach is to remove it and dock it with another pc to repair.

vindiesel

Level 7
Verified
Apr 15, 2013
Hello friends blue screen of death, sometimes because of a controller that is failing.

Computer, Properties, Device Manager and look for some unknown put, right-click the controller properties and details, copies the driver name, look for it in Google and download the official website of your motherboard, install and ready fixed.

I spend yesterday.

Since I installed yesterday and had no problems with the screen of death again, everything perfect.

I mention this in case anyone happens, you know you can fix it if I hope they serve.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.