FMA Sponsored Free Dedicated MT Cloud Malware Storage

Would you like a FMA sponsored Malware Cloud Storage strictly for MT?

• Yes sounds oke but not sure it will do any good and i dunno how MT would benefit from this?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2013
Hello Guys & Staff

I have a idea that i think would be good for MT.
Right now we post our links to malware packs on the forum, and yet i see all kinds of known communities reposting the links.
So hard work done by our members is being shared across many other pages and is being sort of abused.
Keep in mind everyone of us is using those samples for research and testing, yet there are those who collect our samples to do "other" things with it.

Personally i do not think this is the aim for the collection itself is it?

So given the fact that i do have a dedicated server and given the fact that i have room to spare and given the fact that i am in the position to help i would like to offer MT a own Cloud storage where our members exclusively can upload the malware packs and the malware packs will be available exclusively for MT members alone. This will give MT some legitimate exclusivity that other web pages do not have.

There are however 5 conditions:

1: Malware must be in RAR format with password.
2: RAR packs cannot EVER be infected them selfs.
3: You have to be a MT members to upload or download.
4: You keep the links on strictly on MT (All other requests from outside web pages will be blocked)
5: You do not abuse the system in any shape or form.

That said individual rules and other stuff we can debate here.
In will not put any restrictions on it, the Cloud will be strictly for and by MT.

The dedicated space for storage will start at 25GB and will increase with 25GB steps when demand increases up to a maximum total of 1000TB.

Really space is not a issue however we will start small as tryout and we will adapt when time and demand passes.
So please let me know what you think about it, and if you have idea's and such let me know.
In the end it will be MT staff giving the final word over it, but i also want to know what you as the malware sample creator think about it. So please be specific and tell me what you think about it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

good idea, at least the hardwork of our collectors will not be spoiled/abused. how many dedicated TB the server can hold?

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2013
good idea, at least the hardwork of our collectors will not be spoiled/abused. how many dedicated TB the server can hold?

I can add as much storage as needed, but currently i have 25GB as a starting point. Keep in mind Malware sample packs are usually anywhere between 10 and 25mb so thats a hell of a lot malware samples.
And obviously samples packs will be phased out if time passes along because they are not needed anymore i assume.
So 25GB as a starting point is really a nice number to start with.

D

Deleted member 178

but currently i have 25GB as a starting point. Keep in mind Malware sample packs are usually anywhere between 10 and 25mb so thats a hell of a lot malware samples.

yes 25gb is more than enough to start, it is 5 times my dropbox storage lol

Reactions: Nico@FMA
M

MalwareT

I have a question: I download malware pack inside Vm which has IE8, am i able to download packs with outdated browser(s)?

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2013
I have a question: I download malware pack inside Vm which has IE8, am i able to download packs with outdated browser(s)?

As long you are Member of MT you can use any browser to download the packs. The cloud itself will provide the logistics and will use legacy protocols to service up/downloads. The use of outdated browsers is your responsibility not mine. So the server will not bitch about that UNLESS we all agree here that some standards must be taken into account, but i leave that up to MT staff to figure out how when what and where. I only provide the server, service, software and storage the individual rules will be up to MT.
So yes you can use stone age browsers.

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
1: Malware must be in RAR format with password.
2: RAR packs cannot EVER be infected them selfs.
3: You have to be a MT members to upload or download.
4: You keep the links on strictly on MT (All other requests from outside web pages will be blocked)

5: You do not abuse the system in any shape or form.
I'll continue using normal hosting sites.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2013
You want thus create its database samples for your product?:D

No not a database but a storage for the samples itself.
Yet if there is a demand for a database index to search for individual samples then this could be arranged.

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
I understand however would you use it for samples that are strictly for MT? as thats the question if you would support such service?
My samples are never strictly for MT.
Note that the links contain "hxxp"' instead of "http". So, when someone copies the link to the address bar in a new tab, changes hxxp to http then you won't get the referrer.
We should use http instead of hxxp, so the links are clickable and you can get the referrer. I don't think it's needed to use hxxp while the archives are password protected.

M

MalwareT

As long you are Member of MT you can use any browser to download the packs. The cloud itself will provide the logistics and will use legacy protocols to service up/downloads. The use of outdated browsers is your responsibility not mine. So the server will not bitch about that UNLESS we all agree here that some standards must be taken into account, but i leave that up to MT staff to figure out how when what and where. I only provide the server, service, software and storage the individual rules will be up to MT.
So yes you can use stone age browsers.

Thanks,that's what i wanted to hear :D

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2013
My samples are never strictly for MT.

Note that the links contain "hxxp"' instead of "http". So, when someone copies the link to the address bar in a new tab, changes hxxp to http then you won't get the referrer.
We should use http instead of hxxp, so the links are clickable and you can get the referrer. I don't think it's needed to use hxxp while the archives are password protected.

Alright i see what you are saying, that being said the final question would be: Do you support such service or are you against it?

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2013
I support such service, but you would have to add more sites to the allowed referrers list.

Thats ok but as i said individual rules and such can be discussed so i am open to any suggestion as long the staff can agree on it. Afterall this service will be dedicated to MT and if MT chooses to share sample packs with individual sites then thats ok.
But the main aim for this service is to provide MT with some exclusivity as MT is very active in gathering samples and to many sites are using this hard work without even being a member you see? So lets hear it which sites you have in mind.

Reactions: Mark7750

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.