Advice Request Free office suite. Which is better

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
Hi

I am currently using LibreOfiice as an alternative to MS Office.
Which of the following packages is most compatible with MS Office?

• LibreOffice
  • Apache OpenOffice
  • WPS Office

Or maybe you are using something else.
Share the news with me

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
Apache OpenOffice last update last year
Maybe it's not supported anymore?

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
User of Libre Office, for me it's good enough compatible, but depends sometimes when you open certain documents created by MS Office...
Libre Office homepage claims like quoted below:
The LibreOffice 7.3 family offers the highest level of compatibility in the office suite market segment, [...]

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
I use WPS Office & occasionally Apache OpenOffice. I prefer both to LibreOffice which, particularly on spreadsheets, failed to present formatted cells correctly or at least it didn't the last time I tried it (a year or so ago).

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
I use WPS Office & occasionally Apache OpenOffice. I prefer both to LibreOffice which, particularly on spreadsheets, failed to present formatted cells correctly or at least it didn't the last time I tried it (a year or so ago).

WPS Office contains advertising. I have not heard positive opinions about him

Reactions: byronbytes

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Heard good things about ONLYOFFICE:
Not using any alternatives myself because I need Microsoft Office for work.

razorfancy

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
I've used WPS Office for years and not seen a single advert so not sure why certain users report / experience this as an issue. If I wasn't using WPS I'd use OpenOffice and if development stopped entirely on that I'd use SoftMaker's FreeOffice.
I also use WPS Office(*1) and never got any ads, I use it because I have a important word document that was made on one of my friends house using Microsoft Office 2016 and only WPS Office was able to display the document correctly(2 pages), on other free office suites(*2) the document opens with 3 pages.

*1 - I use the Microsoft Store version
*2 - LibreOffice, OpenOffice, Softmaker FreeOffice and Only Office

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I used LibreOffice for a long time, it was good enough for me. Felt a lot like Office circa 2003. But, then my wife needed Office for work as a contractor, so we fell into the Office 365 subscription. I will say I prefer MS Office, but for free LibreOffice works very well for most tasks.

cryogent

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
In the past I used Libre Office and I can honestly say, that it does not excel in terms of speed of opening a document and has a problem with certain xl or xls files generated by the Microsoft Office suite and because of this I chose to switch to WPS Office and I am very satisfied, it opens very quickly and I no longer have the same problems with xl, xls files that gave all sorts of errors in Libre. As for ads or other notifications I can say for sure that I have not seen any.
And for me another plus of WPS is that it also has PDF editor, editor that has a lot of tools, enough for an average user.
I don't know in terms of security how good it is, but I enabled some exploit protection in windows for executable of excel, power point, word and pdf of this suite and I blocked all connections in firewall, except the updater. Till now I don't have any issues.

Last edited:

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
I do not know how it used to be with the speed of opening files in LibreOffice, but at the moment it is very fast in the latest version.
Original Ms Office files (xls, doc) open without reservation without changing the content.
In my opinion this is the best alternative to the paid Ms Office for today in terms of compatibility.

Reactions: SeriousHoax

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Heard good things about ONLYOFFICE:
Not using any alternatives myself because I need Microsoft Office for work.
Looks like another Online alternative to Microsofts. Might be worth testing.

Thanks for the link/share @Gandalf_The_Grey (y)

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
Looks like another Online alternative to Microsofts. Might be worth testing.

Thanks for the link/share @Gandalf_The_Grey (y)

I installed the desktop version alongside LibreOffice. The package is very similar to the classic Ms Office.
It is slower in performance than LibreOffice.
I will keep an eye on it. If LibreOffice fails me, then 100% the next one will be ONLYOFFICE.
Thanks

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.