Battle Free Security Setup Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
If I ever want to switch to free security setup this would be my choice.

For Me & My Suggestion: avast! Free + Windows Firewall + Smart Screen + UAC + AdGaurd + DoNotTrackMe + WOT + LastPass + K9 Web-Protection + VirusTotal Scanner + Secunia PSI + MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit + OnDemand Scanner

Setting For Above Apps:

• avast! Free: Enable Hardened Mode & PUP Detection.
  • AdGuard: Enabled Malicious Web-Blocking.
  • K9 Web-Protection: Customize it how you want.
  • OnDemand Scanner: MalwareBytes | Hitman Pro | EEK etc...

Please Instead of Posting which free av you will use please post the whole security setup you would use if you ever want to switch to free security setup

Last edited:

Circe

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jul 3, 2013
Almost the set up I am currently using, K9 web protection is a very nice product. I used K9 on both my two son's PC's a few years back now, a great product. I should really use it again as it is a very nice product.
I am not normally an Avast user but I am currently using it ( Rejzor set up) which I am liking.
Also currently using windows 7 firewall with this set up, which is more than good enough.
I do have a lifetime license for Outpost Firewall Pro which I use from time to time.
Current set up: Avast, IE 11 (Smartscreen) , Windows 7 Firewall. (K9 web protection is on my list to use again)

*Edit* I've just added K9 WebProtection, I've forgotten how good it was. Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited:

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
I use free software, I am more for Open Source, not really like to paid for software if there is a good free version.

Now I use:
- Comodo Internet Security Free
- HitmanPro.Alert
- Malware Bytes Free (Quick Scan once week)

Reactions: yigido and Circe

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
why? what's wrong with lastpass.. i'm now tempted to ditch it and use your suggestion given your God-given talent in cybersecurity. :D

Essentially it's to do with the way the LastPass login system works, there are for example 'account recovery' options such as "One Time Password" which allows you to change your master password if you forget it. This may allow your passwords to be recovered by a malicious third party (it's fairly easy to spoof a phone number for sms verification for example). What I like about PasswordBox is that you have a master password which acts as your decryption key and this is never stored so if you lose your master password (or if a malicious third party doesn't know what this is), it's much more difficult to access your data (impossible for an average user / hackers etc).

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Black Ice PC Protect is the only product I really loved and trusted. Nowadays if you read the EULA and so on you will see that they don't really care, they lie you, they don't say what it is in the "Ads" not in EULA ... it is like VPNs.

That is why I asked the CEO of Tiranium Internet Security that I wanna see the source code, then I can use the product. It is not that I don't trust but this way when I say to a friend (or company), I am 100%, this is why I don't recommend and I always say that you should search your own answers.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Black Ice PC Protect is the only product I really loved and trusted. Nowadays if you read the EULA and so on you will see that they don't really care, they lie you, they don't say what it is in the "Ads" not in EULA ... it is like VPNs.

That is why I asked the CEO of Tiranium Internet Security that I wanna see the source code, then I can use the product. It is not that I don't trust but this way when I say to a friend, I am 100%, this is why I don't recommend and I always say that you should search your own answers.

Lmao you are asking Dubseven to see the source code? Really? omg FAIL <facepalm>
So you are going to make a phone call to Malwarebytes, Symantec, Sophos (Or any of your favo brand) and you ask them: Sir i got trust issues can i see the source code? Otherwise i will not buy your product.

REALLY?

You got to be kidding me m8, this is just a joke right?

714-epic-facepalm.jpg

Make a educated guess what the CEO of any of those companies would tell you?
image.png

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
No joke because back then was the issue with Dr Web and stealing signatures + virustotal. His software is not sign. There is a difference between him and others.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Lmao you are asking Dubseven to see the source code? Really? omg FAIL <facepalm>
So you are going to make a phone call to Malwarebytes, Symantec, Sophos (Or any of your favo brand) and you ask them: Sir i got trust issues can i see the source code? Otherwise i will not buy your product.

REALLY?

Whenever I don't trust a product I phone them up, spend all my savings buying an OEM license for the C libraries and then spend a few weeks to a month carefully de-obfuscating the source-code to be absolutely 100% sure that they're telling the truth.. Honest ;) :D

Reactions: Arakasi and XhenEd
M

Manzai

I recommend (Free):

- Avast with PUP and Hardened Mode
- Qihoo 360 Total Security with Avira & Bitdefender
- AVG Free with Identity Protection

Paid :

- ESET Smart Security (with my rules Here )
- Bitdefender Internet Security
- Norton Internet Security (SONAR Max)
- Kaspersky Internet Security
- Trend Micro Titanium (Extreme Sensibility)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.