Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10 (by Microsoft Community)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
FAQ: Windows 10 - PART 1 (Jan 2015)

What is Windows 10?

Windows 10 is the name for Microsofts next generation client operating system.

Is the version of Windows 10 made available July 29th 2015 recommended for everyday use?

The Windows 10 RTM final release (which will be available starting July 29th 2015) is a complete copy of the software that is designated as ready and fit for use in production environments. To reach RTM, a particular build has to go through a series of thorough regression test and optimizations to reach a level of quality satisfactory for production. Unlike pre-release builds of Windows 10 the Windows 10 RTM build does not expire.

Will I need to be connected to the Internet in order to use Windows 10?

Windows 10 does not require an active Internet connection for everyday use. It works just fine offline and you can do everything you would normally do in Windows 7 or earlier.

How can I cancel my reservation? I don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 at all.

Open the Reservation app in the notification area (double click it)
Click the Hamburger menu in the upper left corner, then select View Confirmation.
In the lower left, click Cancel reservation and then confirm (twice).

Is it really necessary to reserve Windows 10?

No, it is completely optional and you will get Windows 10 either way, it is simply a reminder.

Will my Antivirus be compatible with Windows 10?

Most likely not. Windows 10 will require that you have a version of your Antivirus that is designed for Windows 10. It is recommended that you uninstall your current Antivirus before intiating the upgrade. If you have a subscription that has not expired, contact the developer to find out about Windows 10 support. Most Antivirus utilities should be upgraded by the time Windows 10 launches. If your subscription is still active, then you should be entitled to a compatible update for Windows 10.

(How to enable and use the built in Windows Defender for Antivirus Protection in Windows 10)

FAQ: Windows 10 - PART 2 (July 2015)

Does Windows 10 support Windows XP Compatibility mode?

Windows XP Compatibility Mode is not supported in Windows 10. Only Windows Vista or later

Is the Aero Glass theme available in Windows 10?

Some elements of Aero Glass have been introduced. For example:
  • Frosted Glass on the Start and Taskbar
  • Microsoft Officials did say they are working on other areas, no guarantees.
  • Because there is no window padding, the frame of the window with exception of the title bar, there would be no glass effect to be applied.
Please visit the Part 1 and Part 2 for more information, before asking below.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.