BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
shutterstock_130178189.jpg

Back in 2004, Munich, Germany decided that they were going to switch to Linux (specifically, LiMux) as their primary operating system and drop Microsoft's Windows operating system. At the time, the decision was said to be cheaper, more reliable and politically correct for the city and this would be the on the same scale as the Berlin Wall falling for politics but for IT.

But ten years later, and we must say that running for ten years is quite the achievement, the city is realizing that the move has not materialized in the way that they had envisioned a decade ago. A city official said that no matter what organization he talked to within the city, they all explained that their productivity was suffering because of the Linux system that they were using.

By 2011, Germany was supposedly running LiMux on more than 9000 machines.

Issues arose when the Linux OS users tried to work with those outside the city and they were unable to share files easily with those on other applications. More so, the idea is generally that Linux setups are cheaper than a Microsoft solution as you do not have to pay licensing fees but what Munich experienced is that Linux was much more expensive. Why is it more expensive? That's because the city had to hire programmers to build out functionality that they needed and then had to pay the staff to maintain the software.

The city is now in the process of jumping back to a Microsoft solution and is now converting those 9000+ machines back to Windows.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
many times I also felt lets switch to linux. But after few days I again went back to Windows.
Unix/ Linux is good at server systems, but for day to day timepass work it will add extra pain.

Reactions: BoraMurdar

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
linux OS is good.

but there is not enough applications. Windows software's have more functionality.

Reactions: BoraMurdar

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
many times I also felt lets switch to linux. But after few days I again went back to Windows.
Unix/ Linux is good at server systems, but for day to day timepass work it will add extra pain.

Absoulutely agree with you! Tried latest Ubuntu and switched back to Windows after three days. Ubuntu is not bad at all
but because all the software, compatibility and development... plus yeah, Ubuntu/Linux creates some additional headaches :D :D

Regards,
Kardo

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I can agree with you guys, I always get pissed off that something simply doesn't work in the way I used to, or doesn't work at all, or even worse that there is no proper alternative (program) made for Linux, so I switch back to Windows after a few days... :)

I

illumination

I can agree with you guys, I always get pissed off that something simply doesn't work in the way I used to, or doesn't work at all, or even worse that there is no proper alternative (program) made for Linux, so I switch back to Windows after a few days... :)
Im just the opposite, tired of things not working in windows, like updates, or drivers. If i had a dollar for every time microsoft has cost me time reformatting from their irresistible urge to push updates that are not stable or ready out the door, i would be a rich man..

I have found Linux, to not only be easier to find and fix problems, but to have everything i need to continue my daily tasks..
Only reason i even linger around a windows environment is to keep up to date to continue helping others still on windows.

If a person were to put some serious time into testing distro's and programs, they would find what they need to suite them.
Most give up after a day or so messing with only one..

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Im just the opposite, tired of things not working in windows, like updates, or drivers. If i had a dollar for every time microsoft has cost me time reformatting from their irresistible urge to push updates that are not stable or ready out the door, i would be a rich man..

I have found Linux, to not only be easier to find and fix problems, but to have everything i need to continue my daily tasks..
Only reason i even linger around a windows environment is to keep up to date to continue helping others still on windows.

If a person were to put some serious time into testing distro's and programs, they would find what they need to suite them.
Most give up after a day or so messing with only one..
Just as I said earlier, I have my computing, browsing and production habits. Linux just doesn't meet me needs right now, but it doesn't mean that Linux is bad, but opposite, it's very stable and nice.

Reactions: illumination

noelis

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Installing Linux takes a view minutes....
You find the most programms that you use under Windows in Linux....but they have different names....
For Linux you need time....
No Windows users can expect in a short time under Linux to be perfect.

But Linux is indisputably safer than Windows and is also fun....:)

Reactions: Xtwillight
A

AnoOtaku

10 years is still very good for a country that wanted to try an operating system that although not at its full potential (application support), is still robust and very stable. Linux still needs more work to be used for the masses, but yeah its getting there. Fair play to Germany for holding out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xtwillight

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2014
Whether it has something to do with it
The US corporation will move its 2016 Germany Hub Unterschleißheim to Munich in the Schwabing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.