Glen's Configuration

Glen

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 13, 2011
Have been testing Sophos UTM. All traffic passes through it on the network. Provides Intrusion Protection, Web Filtering and VPN capability.

To Do:
  • Software/Windows updates are deployed and silently installed on startup via an on-premise server.
  • PCs backed up nightly to a NAS.
  • PCs joined to the domain where various GPOs are pushed out such as disabling auto-run, universal local admin account, screen lock, disable guest account,whitelist based software restriction policy etc.

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your system configuration.:) I was wondering if you'd had to re-install Windows because of a problem, or perhaps the past infection?:oops:

I agree with Himani's suggestion of Sandboxie http://sandboxie.com/. Containment of your browser protects the system from unwanted changes resulting from installed/downloaded programs (you still can recover those you are certain of) along with the ability to "test drive" extensions as such additions last only until you exit/delete the sandbox protection. Browser updates & desired extension Add-ons installations/updates must be done outside of any sandboxes.

Consider a form of system back up to bring your system back after:eek: flat lining, & for preserving those photos & files you just can't live without!:)

Another program you might consider, I've added but have not yet o_Owitnessed, is the latest free software added to my trusty (mostly retired) XP system, learned of from staff member Huracan, it is called Time Freeze http://www.toolwiz.com/en/products/toolwiz-time-freeze/
Developer's description: "Toolwiz Time Freeze is a must have for anyone who doesn’t want to make any unwanted changes to the system. No matter what changes are made, no matter what happens, a simple restart will return things to the way they were."

Last edited:

Glen

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 13, 2011
Cool config :)
Thank you!

you should try sandboxie
Added! Will give it a shot.

Thank you for sharing your system configuration.:) I was wondering if you'd had to re-install Windows because of a problem, or perhaps the past infection?:oops:
A problem, uh, all the programs would stop responding after a while. Not sure why but it happened for a period of months and I couldn't for the life of my find out why. Posted a topic here but nobody had any answers so I ended up biting the bullet and reinstalling.

Consider a form of system back up to bring your system back after:eek: flat lining, & for preserving those photos & files you just can't live without!:)
Anything you can recommended? Never really used a backup program before, bar Crashplan.

Another program you might consider, I've added but have not yet o_Owitnessed, is the latest free software added to my trusty (mostly retired) XP system, learned of from staff member Huracan, it is called Time Freeze http://www.toolwiz.com/en/products/toolwiz-time-freeze/
Developer's description: "Toolwiz Time Freeze is a must have for anyone who doesn’t want to make any unwanted changes to the system. No matter what changes are made, no matter what happens, a simple restart will return things to the way they were."
Will have a look in to it, certainly. Thanks for the suggestion.

Looks Good!! Love ESS ;) Thanks for sharing your config :)
Had a fiddle about with the advanced setup and followed Umbra's guide. Tried it out just with the new reinstall and I'm liking it so far.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Had a fiddle about with the advanced setup and followed Umbra's guide. Tried it out just with the new reinstall and I'm liking it so far.

Umbra's guide is an excellent reference and should be followed by all who want to get the most out of ESS.I used ESS on Windows 8 since its release and have never had an issue or conflict.I still use it today on Windows 8

Reactions: Deleted member 178

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
A problem, uh, all the programs would stop responding after a while. Not sure why but it happened for a period of months and I couldn't for the life of my find out why. Posted a topic here but nobody had any answers so I ended up biting the bullet and reinstalling.

Anything you can recommended? Never really used a backup program before, bar Crashplan.

I'm glad to hear you'd escaped the mysterious:eek: and dreaded Bermuda Triangle of non-responsive programs through re-installing!:D I have refreshed my own Windows 8/8.1 a handful of times, and wish I'd backed up my files back then.:rolleyes:

Although I have yet to try it, there is a free backup program I read about here
http://malwaretips.com/threads/paragon-backup-and-recovery-14-compact.26123/
which you can safely download from here
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/Paragon-Drive-Backup-Express.shtml
and can read an additional review as well.
Thanks!:)

Last edited:

Glen

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 13, 2011
Was thinking of this AX64 Time Machine. Also removed ESS, trial expired. Open to suggestions!

Circe

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jul 3, 2013
360 Total Security new update today http://360safe.com/totalsecurity.html
+ new Beta update which includes:
What's new in the latest version? Beta Version 5.0 July 7, 2014
1、Active Protection

1.1 Added Webcam Protection

1.2 Added USB Drive Protection

1.3 Added Keylogger Blocking

1.4 Added File System Protection

1.5 Added Registry Protection

2、Added Silent Mode(Game Mode)

3、Enhanced Malware cleanup capability

4、Enhanced Malicious Website Blocking

5、Sandbox - Windows 8 Support

6、 Added Toolbox - Vote for your most wanted feature

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
360 Total Security new update today http://360safe.com/totalsecurity.html
+ new Beta update which includes:
What's new in the latest version? Beta Version 5.0 July 7, 2014
1、Active Protection

1.1 Added Webcam Protection

1.2 Added USB Drive Protection

1.3 Added Keylogger Blocking

1.4 Added File System Protection

1.5 Added Registry Protection

2、Added Silent Mode(Game Mode)

3、Enhanced Malware cleanup capability

4、Enhanced Malicious Website Blocking

5、Sandbox - Windows 8 Support

6、 Added Toolbox - Vote for your most wanted feature

o_O that sounds like some good updates.

Reactions: Circe

Circe

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jul 3, 2013
If you use all the engines it is still extremely heavy. I've been using it for an hour or two and it feels very sluggish ( in security mode)
I'm just checking to see if it still crashes on full scan, the previous versions of 360 TS all crash during a full scan on my Acer laptop for some reason, the screen freezes and then windows reboots.
I just hope this Beta doesn't crash my PC during a full scan. If it does its gone.
*Edit* same old same old, screen froze whilst doing a full scan. 360 TS just does not like my laptop so it has to go. Goodbye 360 TS.

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Was thinking of this AX64 Time Machine. Also removed ESS, trial expired. Open to suggestions!
Hi Glen, before you'd asked about it, I hadn't heard very much of AX64.:confused: So, what did I do?o_O I went to look it up on the safe download site often mentioned here on MT, Softpedia!:rolleyes: If you haven't read enough about it already, here's their 4 star review http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/AX64-Time-Machine.shtml
Here's one more thread you'll like too!;) http://malwaretips.com/threads/your-10-must-have-programs.25640/

Last edited:

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
A long overdue update!
Good config, I like it, it is simple but efficient, I only suggest you to install BitDefender 60 second virus scanner and a second browser, then you can also install Auslogics Disk Defrag and CCleaner for privacy and optimization. Thanks for sharing it ;)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
D

Deleted member 178

Approved by Staff

2s9jymOt.jpg

I like you to see you try Sophos, also why WSA endpoint? Some features you like?

Glen

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 13, 2011
I like you to see you try Sophos, also why WSA endpoint? Some features you like?

I initially considered pfsense and Untangle, but preferred the interface that Sophos has. It's still very much a learning experience, though.

In regards to WSA, I opted for endpoint protection simply for two reasons:
1) The management console as users are spread out over two different sites. Obviously manually configuring each would be troublesome.
2) I wanted to trial the Mobile Protection that they offered. Only using it on one Android device and an iPhone, however. I most likely won't renew it though due to the lack of Windows Phone support.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.