Groups and Promotions Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
RE: New Groups and Promotions

This is a problem with pictures as attachments. We need to allow everyone to view pictures attached to a post. We don't need to allow everyone to download other types of attachments (archives containing tools, malware samples, etc.)

The fact that registered user can't view attachments is a mistake and it was corrected. They shouldn't be able to upload them though. This is to avoid someone registering and uploading malicious files.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011

bogdan said:
This is a problem with pictures as attachments. We need to allow everyone to view pictures attached to a post. We don't need to allow everyone to download other types of attachments (archives containing tools, malware samples, etc.)

I guess that is reasonable. But, is it possible?

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

Advanced Members have a new Group Image (badge)... look at LaserWraith.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011

bogdan said:
Advanced Members have a new Group Image (badge)... look at LaserWraith.

Do you make the badges yourself? It looks good. Am I the only one with it? :p

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

Yes on both questions. They are just a quick work, I might modify them in the future. It depends if you find them distracting or too boring. According to the promotions log you are thee only Advanced Member :)

Chiron

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011

Honestly, I don't see the point in rewarding users for having a high post count.

What should be important is the quality of the posts and the amount they've helped others. Otherwise this may simply encourage some users to post a lot of almost meaningless posts just to increase their count.

Just something to think about. Chiron out :tuxout:

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011

Chiron said:
Honestly, I don't see the point in rewarding users for having a high post count.

What should be important is the quality of the posts and the amount they've helped others. Otherwise this may simply encourage some users to post a lot of almost meaningless posts just to increase their count.

Just something to think about. Chiron out :tuxout:

Yes, but then you would win. :dodgy:

I guess that is what the reputation system is for. People judge how helpful your posts are, and you have to have a certain amount of reps before advancing.

While you can get a high post count by posting mostly meaningless things, most often those users still help the community in some way or another (could be something as simple as having a light-hearted, active section of the forum).

Watasha

Feb 8, 2011

Doesn't a higher number of posts increase a forum's visibility when it comes to searches? I see your point but I believe the answer, as it so often is, is somewhere in the middle.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

That is why I added reputation and days on forum to the mix. I guess it depends on how people use the reputation system though. Rep requirements could be higher, but since there aren't many users on forum, this can't be applied now. Note that users can only give a certain amount of reps/day and higher groups can give more points. Rep can also be lowered.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011

I have made a post in avast forums to publish the forums :)

Look here

Sorry for being offtopic

Regards,
Valentin N

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011

Valentinchen N said:

[url0http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=72467.msg604100#msg604100]Look here[/url]

Sorry for being offtopic

Regards,
Valentin N
Why didn't I think of Avast forums?
BTW the link tags haven't been posted properly.
You can use the button with the picture of the globe to insert a link automatically.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011

elliotcroft said:
Valentinchen N said:

[url0http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=72467.msg604100#msg604100]Look here[/url]

Sorry for being offtopic

Regards,
Valentin N
Why didn't I think of Avast forums?
BTW the link tags haven't been posted properly.
You can use the button with the picture of the globe to insert a link automatically.
Thanks for your observation :)

One thing that i like in the avast forums is that it shows where the user is from. Is good for other guest to see how spread the forum is :)

I would be good if there is a forum for each language; it not self-evident that all know English.

Regards,
Valentin N

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

Thanks Valentinchen N. Non-English forums are an absolute necessity for support forums, but for his forum, not so much. At least not at this point.

edit: I'm sorry if recommending this forum got you in trouble.

G

Guest28

This looks great Security freak i like that lol.

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011

ryan said:
This looks great Security freak i like that lol.
You're going to have to post a lot more if you want that title.
Or you could refer one more person and get all privileges much earlier. :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.