Guide | How To Guide to Increasing Privacy in Firefox

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Browsing Safely With Firefox - From Encrypt Everything
This page covers how to configure the settings in Firefox for private web browsing. We are covering Firefox because it is the best browser for privacy. The Mozilla foundation (creators of Firefox) have a long track record of Internet activism and supporting open source software. In addition, Firefox does not track you (unlike Google Chrome).
This guide involves re-configuring Firefox for maximum Privacy, you will need to change both General and Advanced settings in the about:config page and be asked to installed additional Privacy add-ons. If you wish to continue, follow the link below.

Find out more: https://www.encrypteverything.ca/index.php?title=Browsing_Safely_With_Firefox

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
My laptop got back from repair as soon as this was posted and now time to read this article and apply everything it says, thank you for posting.

Reactions: Chromatinfish 123

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
I would also recommend using firemin which fixes the horrible memory leaks in Firefox. Having used it myself with great success (it reduced FF's memory consumption from about 250MB on opening to 4MB), I can recommend it to everyone here. It's free, safe and will greatly improve the stability of your Firefox :)

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I would also recommend using firemin which fixes the horrible memory leaks in Firefox. Having used it myself with great success (it reduced FF's memory consumption from about 250MB on opening to 4MB), I can recommend it to everyone here. It's free, safe and will greatly improve the stability of your Firefox :)
Does it prevent firefox from freezing alot?

Reactions: Cowpipe

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Does it prevent firefox from freezing alot?

It does. Firefox freezes because it ends up using too much RAM, so by fixing the memory leaks and reducing the RAM it uses, firemin makes Firefox a whole lot more stable :)

Reactions: Kent

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
It does. Firefox freezes because it ends up using too much RAM, so by fixing the memory leaks and reducing the RAM it uses, firemin makes Firefox a whole lot more stable :)

I added all of the extensions as stated in the article and using firemin and this is what I get. I don't know if it is good considering this is firefox.

IUO7apW.png

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
@Fantasy - That looks like a good result to me :) You can always test it with Firemin disabled (leave firefox running for half an hour and then check task manager) ;)

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
@Fantasy - That looks like a good result to me :) You can always test it with Firemin disabled (leave firefox running for half an hour and then check task manager) ;)
I will try that later + I am going to add a lot of extensions and see what it is like with and without firemin

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Browsing Safely With Firefox - From Encrypt Everything

This guide involves re-configuring Firefox for maximum Privacy, you will need to change both General and Advanced settings in the about:config page and be asked to installed additional Privacy add-ons. If you wish to continue, follow the link below.

Find out more: https://www.encrypteverything.ca/index.php?title=Browsing_Safely_With_Firefox

Bookmarked

Will test this, post results later

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Firemin: no more plugin container running, FF never reaches more than 400 K even with 10 tabs open. The most tabs I can open before was 4 even at that I get a lot of Not Responding crap

Thanks @Cowpipe

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
I've heard about it but I haven't used it yet. I'll try it out. Thank you! :)

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Sorry for double-posting but is there any program similar to firemin for Chrome?

Reactions: Kent

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Sorry for double-posting but is there any program similar to firemin for Chrome?

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Reactions: Kent and Cowpipe

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.