Harish_Shan23's config

Harish_Shan23

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 12, 2015
My security softwares configuration is :

1. Avast! Free Antivirus

2. Comodo Firewall(followed a thread on this forum for config)

3. MBAM Pro configured as companion AV.

4. Windows 8.1 Pro Update 3 (always updated and UAC enabled).

6. Using Tunnelbear VPN for now.

7. EMET 5.2 with maximum security settings.

8.Daily scans done with Hitman Pro, Zemana Antimalware and EEK.

9. Computer cleaned with Ccleaner on daily basis.

10.Malware testing done on Windows 7.(running in Oracle Virtualbox and up-to-date)

11.Using Adguard for Windows now(beta tester license).

12.Macrium Reflext Free for backups.
I hope to improve security with more software and solutions:).

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Seems like a good config!! What was the reason for your recent infection?
Thanks for sharing your config :)

Reactions: JM Safe

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Bro, why use 2 real time AV at same time, is it make u feel secure? Did u enabled UAC?

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Wow, an awesome config, it is very very secured, but I suggest you to remove one on-demand scanner.
For the rest, it is a perfect config, congrats :)

Reactions: frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well no more question to your configuration considering its a tight configuratin + backup is implemented. ;)

Sandboxie is pretty good for your testing samples but if accidents may happen yet better done it in virtual machine.

Harish_Shan23

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 12, 2015
Seems like a good config!! What was the reason for your recent infection?
Thanks for sharing your config :)
I had Shared Folders enabled in Virtualbox by accident while testing out Cryptolocker. Most of my files got encrypted. Had to do a clean install of WIndows.
Bro, why use 2 real time AV at same time, is it make u feel secure? Did u enabled UAC?
Webroot is configured to scan files only on execution plus Webroot has better zero-day malware protection than avast! and yes i have UAC enabled in default settings.
Wow, an awesome config, it is very very secured, but I suggest you to remove one on-demand scanner.
For the rest, it is a perfect config, congrats :)
My Internet has frequent outages during daytime so Hitman Pro, Zemana Antimalware and Herdprotect don't do well without Internet connection. That's why I have Malwarebytes and EEK.
Well no more question to your configuration considering its a tight configuratin + backup is implemented. ;)

Sandboxie is pretty good for your testing samples but if accidents may happen yet better done it in virtual machine.
Yes, I konw. I test regular wide known malware in Sandboxie or sometimes in Virtualbox but when testing out malware samples like Cryptolocker I do it in Virtualbox sandboxed by Sandboxie. Might seem overkillo_O but it is not worth losing your files.
very good config
thanks for sharing
Thanks
Strong, nice and Great config! Thanks for sharing bro! :D
Thanks

Can you guys suggest me a program that can stop malware from accessing the webcam?? The only program I know is HitmanPro.Alert and it does not work well with EMET:cool:

Reactions: JM Safe

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Could you briefly explain what avast Internet Security features you utilise, and those you do not?
For example, there no mention of avast Sandbox, why?

Harish_Shan23

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 12, 2015
Could you briefly explain what avast Internet Security features you utilise, and those you do not?
For example, there no mention of avast Sandbox, why?
I use Avast! firewall instead of Windows firewall.:)
I use SafeZone for online banking and shopping.
Avast! Sandbox does not work well for me(consumes too much resources)so I use Sandboxie.
Remote Assistance is not very useful as the person you are connecting to must have avast! so I use Teamviewer for that purpose.
Avast! Rescue Disk is awesome and I use it alongside with Kaspersky Rescue Disk.
I use OpenDNS instead of SecureDNS!

Peace:)

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Still it's better to use 1 real time AV. Nothing is better my friend,what is webroot & avast misses the malware during execution/real time? Will u add another realtime AV,replace webroot or avast with a different ' better' AV who give ' better ' 0 day malware protection to ur system? who will u blaim?
Can you guys suggest me a program that can stop malware from accessing the webcam?? The only program I know is HitmanPro.Alert and it does not work well with EMET:cool:
Disable the webcam drive from device manager when u don't use webcam.

Reactions: frogboy

Harish_Shan23

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 12, 2015
Update 1/8/16: MAJOR CHANGES
1. Windows 10 had a BSOD -Unable to boot computer
So installed Windows 8.1 again
2. Licenses for most software expired:(
3.Changed main AV to Avast! Free antivirus
4. Installed Comodo Firewall(it's so awesome)
5. MBAE Expired - SO back to EMET 5.2
6. Using MBAM Pro as Secondary realtime protection
7. Second Opinion Scanners - MBAM, Hitman Pro, EEK and Zemana AntiMalware(free edition)
8. Using Macrium Reflect Free for backup.
9. Adguard for adblocking(beta license)

*** Just found a new software called Reason Core Security. Testing it out on Virtualbox. Planning to do a review on it. Detected only 62/300 on zero-day malware pack:confused:***

I really am enjoying my stay here.

D

Deleted member 178

Approved by Staff

2s9jymOt.jpg

Harish_Shan23 said:

it is either EMET or HMPA.

if you are worried about Webam logging; you can use Spyshelter.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Good update at all, you may use Herdprotect as alternative to Reason Core Security as it incorporates all the engines but expect for FP rates since it doesn't optimize to clear out those erroneous detection.

A trained eye skill is a must.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Webcam on-off good utility for enabling/disabling webcam driver without opening lots of dialog boxes.Another free one for checking and stopping unauthorized access : Phrozen Software-Who stalks my cam.But a paid antilogger is better,although there are many ways of logging your data so nothing is perfect.

good config btw.:)

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Can you guys suggest me a program that can stop malware from accessing the webcam??
No, but in Windows 8.1PC Settings > Privacy, you can toggle Webcam Access on/off, or which Windows Apps can get access.
Do to use the webcam?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As much as possible, unplugged your webcam if you will not use regularly or too often; remember that we only engage on Video calls other than that your earphones/headphones are quite enough to remain plugged just disable any application request upon you think its suspicious.

Reactions: Koroke San

safe1st

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
Good setup.
But whats your reason remove HitmanPro?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.