Poll How many MT members are still using F-Secure? Are you still liking it?

Are you using F-Secure

• Total voters

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
My license is running out. I have been running Microsoft Defender on my main desktop for a while, but still have F-Secure on my laptop that I basically only use to put in a grocery pickup order and look at the news occasionally. F-Secure was the hotness on MT for a while, just wondering how everyone else is still liking it. Especially curious if it's still on top of @Shadowra 's recommendations.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I'm exactly the same as you. I used it on my desktop for a couple of years and just recently decided to go back to Defender with Andy's tools. F-Secure consigned to my laptop which gets about 20 minutes of use per week. As far as I know F-Secure is still highly rated. I really liked it and had zero issues.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I have a license for Bitdefender, Kaspersky, and F-Secure. F-Secure is my favorite and the one I'm running on all my devices. But with what you're using that laptop for, I agree with Digmor, just use Defender using Andy's tools. Unfortunately, the base version now of F-Secure is Total, which includes VPN and PM, so that would probably be unnecessary in your case.

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I have a license for Bitdefender, Kaspersky, and F-Secure. F-Secure is my favorite and the one I'm running on all my devices. But with what you're using that laptop for, I agree with Digmor, just use Defender using Andy's tools. Unfortunately, the base version now of F-Secure is Total, which includes VPN and PM, so that would probably be unnecessary in your case.
I thought the base version was Internet Security, formerly SAFE, which replaced the old IS?

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I thought the base version was Internet Security, formerly SAFE, which replaced the old IS?
That changed in Dec 2023. Now it's Total. That probably helps make your decision a little easier?

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
They still have an Internet Security on their website (I would never pay these prices I only would use discounted rates on Serialcart). I believe the current Internet Security is the former SAFE. Without the bloat.

1708965210048.png

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
They still have an Internet Security on their website (I would never pay these prices I only would use discounted rates on Serialcart). I believe the current Internet Security is the former SAFE. Without the bloat.

View attachment 281800

Safe => Internet Security now ;)
TOTAL => IS + ID Protection + VPN

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023

View attachment 281800
That was discussed here as well:

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
@blackice I just called F-Secure support and they said the version on the website is the "newer" version of Internet Security which is account-based and not subscription-based, that yes, you can still buy it. Call me a bit confused about it as well :)

Support can be reached here if you want to chat regarding your concerns.

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
@blackice I just called F-Secure support and they said the version on the website is the "newer" version of Internet Security which is account-based and not subscription-based, that yes, you can still buy it. Call me a bit confused about it as well :)

Support can be reached here if you want to chat regarding your concerns.

I think I got a handle on it. I have only ever had an account based subscription of SAFE, so it's not really a change for me. Basically they dropped authenticating a key through the device and software. Makes for a very confusing shift.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Still using it on my sister's laptop for several years now. It doesn't slow down Windows, and so far, no FP that I can remember, no annoying pop-ups, no infection so far (run monthly 2nd opinion scanners) and I am not annoyed by my sister that something is not working. Can't complain 😊

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Still using it on my sister's laptop for several years now. It doesn't slow down Windows, and so far, no FP that I can remember, no annoying pop-ups, no infection so far (run monthly 2nd opinion scanners) and I am not annoyed by my sister that something is not working. Can't complain 😊
Yep, word for word here...except for the sister part :) Installed on 6 devices.

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
I also use F-Secure since my local ISP (Telia) provides a great deal of 25 devices for around 5€ a month. So, I have installed it on friends' and relatives' computers and everything has been working well so far. I appreciate how F-Secure operates without requiring practically any user input.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
It is low profile. Doesn't spit sparks. So I can see why it isn't popular here among the crowd that wants fireworks instead of steady and reliable. People here want live action and that ain't F-Secure. It is an exceptional balance between almost trouble free usability and high protection. All without having to look at settings, fuss with logs, respond to alerts, or do much of anything.
😍 😍 😍

Adrian Ścibor

From AVLab.pl
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2018
Please don't take this as spam, but when it comes to F-Secure Total - we test F-Secure software. Personally, I think it is a good choise.

Analysis Of Modules For Protection Of Online Banking And Payments » AVLab Cybersecurity Foundation -> we granted an award for excellent protection in internet banking test.

We'll be publishing a summary of 2023 in a little while, and F-Secure is there. You have to keep an eye on us. We will let you know :)

Mar 4, 2022
Of all the AVs I tried, F-Secure is one of my favourites. It's very light but has very good protection. Its banking protection is leading in the industry, that is why I have switched my parents to it as well because they were almost the victim of one of those remote scammers a while ago. I have never really been disappointed with F-Secure. Definitely recommend.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I'm really liking this thread in that at times I feel F-Secure can get lost in all of the other options, like other "powerhouse" AVs, Windows hardening etc. so it's been encouraging and confirming for me in what's been mentioned and that I'm finding out as well :) :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.