How much does your AV slow down your system?

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
I wanted to share my AV consuming to you, and ask you to show your security software's consuming, in order to make a general comparison and check how much resources our antivirus use.

If you participate, make sure to close everything before checking!

Antivirus: Avira Free 2015

Total consuming: 38,1mb RAM

MauZYf2.png

Reactions: viktik

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
List your PC Hardware? New or old CPU, SSD or HDD, RAM available etc.

Everything varies between different systems and software configurations. RAM used doesn't indicate if an Antivirus will slow down your PC.

Reactions: dhul.karnain

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Memory usage alone cannot tell how much antivirus will slow down the system.
CPU usage in doing some task.
Hard disk usage for scanning files.If the antivirus uses some optimization technique to lower the hard disk usage then that will help in lower the system slowdown.

Memory usage of the process is tricky. A process shares some part of the memory with other process.So some part remains private which only that process can use, while some other part may be shared with other process.

Qihoo 360 total security

Memory usage
Working set : 108.8 MiB
Private Working set : 56.6 MiB
Shared Working Set : 28.0 MiB

i generally consider Working set as correct RAM usage.

QIHOO 360 TOTAL SECURITY 6.6 MEMORY USAGE _27-04-2015_06-57-04.jpg

Windows Task manager shows Private Working set

QIHOO 360 TOTAL SECURITY 6.6 MEMORY USAGE _27-04-2015_06-42-20.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.