How to completely remove windows defender on windows 8 machines

S

starchild76

Thread author
It really problem and direct prohibition does not help here. You can to disable it, turn off and also disable this service at all, but every time You start Windows You'll get the notification, that Windows Defender is turned off and can't protect Your system.
If you want to install another anti-virus program, I recommend you do so:
Open your Windows Defender, then open the "Settings" and uncheck box before "Turn on Real-Time Protection ..." and then "Save changes" . Then go to the "Administrator" and remove the label before "Turn on Windows Defender" and again the "Save changes".
Now close Windows Defender completely. Suggested: open the "Task Manager" => MSASCui.exe => right click on it => "End Process Tree" , on a pop-up window click "End Process Tree"

Now start Windows in safe mode,
To do this, open the "Configure System" (C:\Windows\System32\msconfig.exe) and select "Boot" => "Safe Boot" => Minimal => 'Apply' => 'OK' => Select Restart now . (back : just the opposite of the same act - you choose the "General" => "Normal Startup" => "Apply" => "OK" and restart ...)
NB! (If your Windows is located elsewhere than on disk C:\, then replace this letter).
Now go to the "C:\Program Files" folder and rename the folder "Windows Defender", such as "Old Windows Defender" or whatever you like.
You need to have administrator rights, and you may need to disable the Windows protection, if You can't rename this folder.
Usually, however, it is not necessary to prohibit any more, because it has already been banned.
If it is neede, then after the PC has rebooted in Safe mode open a new Command Prompt as Administrator and type net stop sppsvc to stop the Software Protection Platform service (sometimes you can get a message that it's already stopped and not running)
(Winkey + R => type there "cmd" or "cmd.exe" (without the quotes) and "OK" )
Now you are completely ignored/turned off the "Windows Defender" , but it may be restored at any time. There no more pop-up messages that speaks about "Windows Defender can't .." and you can safely install the antivirus program of your choosing.
This solution works on one my computer with Bitdefender Windows 8 Security.
I suggest making a restore point before, though it hardly needed. And do not forget - all the commands without the quotes.

Add: Over some time, Windows may solve this problem itself, and you may have no more problem with Windows 8 Defender and with another anti-virus program, what is used/added by user (by You), but it is the case today. (And it is not just mine problem, this is a common problem. Many asking today, how to use some other antivirus without problems and conflicts with Windows Defender in W8. These are lucky people, who can't discover these problems, it does not mean, that these don't exist.)
Sorry, if I'm disturbed by anyone once again, who do not have this problem. Trying to learn something more and do not write anything more style "how to do", if it is so disturbing and irritating.

Source : Direct Link

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you have access to the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc), you can disable Windows Defender from ever being used again.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.