Mini Spy

Latest Threads

How to disable the popup in Avira Antivir Personal?

Discussion in 'How-To Articles, Tips and Guides' started by WinAndLinuxTutorials, Oct 28, 2011.

1. WinAndLinuxTutorials

WinAndLinuxTutorials Community Superstar Trusted Member

Many Avira Free users are annoyed by the popup which appears after the signature update, and I am also one of them. So, I decided to show you how to prevent that popup from appearing.

The popup looks similar to this:
    [​IMG]

Note: Before you start, I have to tell you that it works only on:
    • Windows XP Professional
    • Windows Vista Business, Ultimate, Enterprise editions
    • Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, Enterprise
    The above editions include that management cosole by default.

What's gonna be affected:
    On the on-demand scan window, the Virus Information button will stop functioning. I don't think it's important at all as you can find information about viruses by going to their website.

Other than that, I don't know any effects does this method leave behind it.

So now, let's start!

1. Open the start menu.
    • In Windows XP, Click on Run... and type secpol.msc and press Enter.
    • In Windows Vista & 7, Type secpol.msc in the searchbox and open the file.
      [​IMG]
    3. Right-Click on the Folder named Software Restriction Policies and then click on New Software Restriction Policies
    [​IMG]

4. Go to the folder Additional Rules, and then right click on the box at the right and click on New Path Rule...
    [​IMG]

5. Click on Browse... and then go to the program files folder of Avira Antivir and locate the file avnotify.exe and then click on OK. Select the Security Level to be Disallowed and then click on OK.
    [​IMG]

6. Done! Now you have no Avira popups again.

Hope this helps you :)
  2. Huracan

Huracan Administrator MalwareTips Staff

Media:
    FYI, the 'AntiVir' part in Avira has been abolished.
  3. WinAndLinuxTutorials

^^What do you mean?
  4. jamescv7

jamescv7 Active Member

Well I think Earth is trying to say that, Antivir is no longer used as the name on the products so its called Avira Free Antivirus, Avira Premium Antivirus & Avira Internet Security.
  5. lascetic

lascetic New Member

Thank you for the interesting information on this thread. What worries me a little bit is that there is some contradictory information on the internet about disabling avnotify.exe.

For example here it says: "avnotify.exe is a process belonging to Avira Internet Security Suite which protects your computer against Internet-bound threats such as spyware and trojans which can be distributed through e-mail or attack directly to the computer allowing unauthorized access to your computer. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated. "

However, it is not clear if it is referring to avnotify or to Avira itself.

Then there is this link that says: "You may not receive popups that could be alerting you of malicious websites or files that could potentially be downloading."

I really don't know how reliable are these statements. So, I was wondering if there is anyone who can confirm that disabling avnotify.exe won't cause any risk to my computer.

I am referring to Avira free antivirus 12 (which is currently the latest version).
    I have windows 7 x64
  6. jamescv7

jamescv7 Active Member

As long I know avnotifier.exe focuses on advertisements/ promotional offers. But I remember before it could be an effect from updating when the steps were done unsuccessfully.
  7. WinAndLinuxTutorials

[​IMG]
  8. lascetic

lascetic New Member

Thanks WALT for the self-explanatory post. I can disable avnotify now peacefully. :)