Guide | How To How to download from the Internet anonymously (comparing of 4 FREE ways)

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Patrik

Thread author
Feb 3, 2014
2759e1b4c934.jpg

Hello, Everyone! Do you know that all your actions in the Internet are being logged? Search engines, websites you visit, even your own Web browser collect your personal information on different levels. Your habits, your location, your recent OnLine purchases. All your information is being collected and analyzed by thousands of companies and agencies. The most disturbing fact is that all your information can be sold and used without your permission. One side of such trade is rather unpleasant, but not very disturbing. It is when it’s performed by advertising agencies, OnLine markets, banner exchanges or spammers.

The other side is much more dangerous. That is if it’s done by your local ISP or government agencies that log your entire Internet traffic (We all remember Edward Snowden’s stories). Why do they do it? The answer is simple: they want to control everything and know everything you do to fully control you. We all read stories of poor people being sentenced to big fines or even a real time in jail because they’d downloaded a song or a video file.

I don’t argue the fact that it is illegal to download copyrighted files, but I just don’t like the fact that all my action are being recorded and analyzed. I don’t want anyone to know what websites I visit, what kind of music I listen or what color underwear I prefer.

So how can you protect yourself? How to avoid the feeling that someone’s watching all the time? I’ve tested 4 FREE technologies offering OnLine privacy and would like to give you my opinion on all of them.

1. Web surfing privacy. Usage of special software and technology such as, Tor, Cocoon, I2P, etc.
9ba562d2db52.jpg
c9ca651ee795.jpg
98ee7cab2913.jpg

These services provide good level of anonymity and privacy in the Internet based on rerouting your traffic through their encrypted servers (cocoon) or through alternative encrypted Peer-to-peer system (Tor, I2P).

How it works (TOR, I2P):
5692ba99b3d1.jpg

This technology is pretty safe and secure. The only weak link of the network is the last PC in the mesh c
alled “exit node”. It can see the final website you’re going to but can’t see you as a source. There are articles in the Internet explaining that it’s not true and there are ways to trace the entire routeh down to you but such technology is rather complicated and can be used only if someone REALLY needs to catch you.

Pros:

- High level of privacy, if you don’t compromise it yourself and follow the rules

- secure and anonymous web surfing

- Simple setup (Tor, Cocoon)

- Free (TOR, I2P)

Cons:

- You need to study the technology and follow the strict rules. Otherwise, your privacy will be compromised

- Very low speed

- Additional software installation required

- Not suitable for downloading

- Your ISP can see that you work in TOR or I2P network

2. Proxy

Proxy server is an intermediate server between you and you addressee. The main advantage of Proxy server is that it can substitute your data with it’s own so the final server sees the Proxy servers IP and other information instead of yours.

How it works

d2ed38d3c18c.jpg

There are many websiteis in the Internet offering Proxy services (eg. hidemyass.com, http://www.proxy4free.com/ etc.). There are both free and paid services. Before starting work with Proxy services I would recommend looking for user ratings and reviews because you need to really trust the publisher of Proxy server to safely work with it.

Regarding downloads, it depends on a proxy service chosen. Generally, free servers don’t give high speed.

Pros:

- Many free servers are offered

- high anonymity (if the Proxy is anonymous)

Cons:

- Very low speed when free services are used

- You really need to trust the company or individual that provides Proxy services

- You need to setup an Internet access rule for each application

- Limited access ports

3. VPN

VPN – virtual private network(VPN) extends aprivate networkacross apublicnetwork, such as theInternet. It enables a computer to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if it were directly connected to the private network, while benefiting from the functionality, security and management policies of the private network.

How it works:
958010bee98d.jpg

Pros:

- There are many free VPN services (http://www.vpnbook.com/, http://www.hotspotshield.com/ etc.)

- High level of anonymity

Cons:

- You need to set up a VPN connection or a VPN software

- Free VPN services are often very slow and unreliable

- You need to fill-up your personal information including your full name, address, phone number, etc. during registration for VPN service

- As for the Proxy services you really need to go through all ratings and user reviews to choose the right service you can trust.

- Some client software cannot reconnect automatically after system restart. You need to be aware of it and be very careful.

4. Good for unskilled Internet users. No need to set anything up. No technical skills required. There are Internet services that provide you some privacy of Downloads. I’ve tested Filestream.me which positions itself as an advanced OnLine cloud storage.
2e83242fb81f.jpg

All you need to do is sign up for the service and paste HTTP or MANET links to the corresponding fields in your member’s area. Filestream will download files to your personal cabinet. All you need to do is download or stream those files to your PC or Mobile device.

How Filestream.me works
29e509839ab2.jpg

Pros:

- Encrypted SSL connection through the whole website

- No need to set-up additional applications

- Anonymous downloads from the Internet

- You can download several files to your cabinet simultaneously.

- No need to keep your computer on during download.

- You can use the service as a Cloud Storage.

- Free for occasional downloads

- Low prices for Premium subscriptions

Cons:

- Service provides secure and private downloads only. They don’t protect your entire Internet activity.

- Limited traffic on free accounts. Heavy “downloaders” need to purchase Premium accounts.

- Lack of mobile website

- Mobile client is available only for Android devices

025fd599fbe1.jpg

The most important note: THERE IS NO PRIVACY IN THE INTERNET, but you can make it much harder for third parties to spy on you.

R

rkkdjb

actually filestream was pretty good when it was launched but now it has downgraded the download limit for free account and is now on a similar level as zbigz but it can download much more than torrents.
gud article though

Reactions: LASER_oneXM

Patrik

Thread author
Feb 3, 2014
actually filestream was pretty good when it was launched but now it has downgraded the download limit for free account and is now on a similar level as zbigz but it can download much more than torrents.
gud article though

Yes, you're right. Filestream.me had much less limitations when they just launched. But still they have few benefits comparing with Zbigz. Honestly speaking, after their downgrade I switched to Basic plan for $1.99. It's enough for me and not so big money.

Frank Caffrey

Jun 8, 2016
I would say VPN is the only thing more reliable and trust worthy if they are not keeping logs or having surveillance on your activity logs.
but than you cant just prefer any VPN. You need to check a review site where they are compared based on their features and add-ons
www.usavpn.com
Also i believe and suggest people to not pick a VPN that are based in USA as they comply to US govt policies.
Is Your VPN Provider Based In A "14 Eyes" Country?

D

Deleted member 2913

Any good FileStream alternative that provides atleast 1GB free upload? FileStream has now reduced to 500MB.

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

I use Two VPN services to stay secure(Ekspressvpn and Vyprvpn).they are two of the fastest vpn services in the world.:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.