Guide | How To How to fix a slow computer

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
McLovin said:
I know the best way to fix a slow computer, it's to re-install Windows. Problem solved.

That's the best way and the fastest way to fix any computer IMHO
I'm glad wot blocked that site, never use a browser without it!

@MrXidus Have any good guides to disabling services that won't screw up your pc?

P

Plexx

Some users recommend Black Viper's guide.

I got lost half way through so I am doing something else for now.

But at the same time curious to see MrXidus reply

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
MRF71 said:
@MrXidus Have any good guides to disabling services that won't screw up your pc?

Biozfear said:

Bioz is right. I used Black Viper's guide which can be found here : http://goo.gl/5RSYc

The guide features 3 types of service settings you can perform. 'Safe' 'Tweaked' and 'Bare-bones'

I have performed Tweaked, That went fine then I decided to do Bare-bones and so far that's been fine too.

Just note this guide only features service names for default system processes/services, You won't see anything for 3rd party services other programs might install.

You'll have to research the services that aren't listed on the guide and decide if you need them and if they're safe to disable/set to manual.

If you're worried about messing up, Create a snapshot if you use snapshot software such as Sysrestore or RollbackRx, I never trust the default System Restore.

Thanks. :)

P

Plexx

Sysrestore or RollbackRx: which one is more stable and easy to use?

System restore so far I have had no problem since I restored my image but... we never know... dejavu possibly soon

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Biozfear said:

System restore so far I have had no problem since I restored my image but... we never know... dejavu possibly soon

All the way Rollback RX just give it a try and i am sure you will love it

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Reinstall Windows, deactivate unnecessary Windows processes and start up items, get 6 GHz of front side bus and 10 Gigs of RAM, and call me in the morning.

P

Plexx

MrXidus said:
MRF71 said:

Biozfear said:

Bioz is right. I used Black Viper's guide which can be found here : http://goo.gl/5RSYc

The guide features 3 types of service settings you can perform. 'Safe' 'Tweaked' and 'Bare-bones'

I have performed Tweaked, That went fine then I decided to do Bare-bones and so far that's been fine too.

Just note this guide only features service names for default system processes/services, You won't see anything for 3rd party services other programs might install.

You'll have to research the services that aren't listed on the guide and decide if you need them and if they're safe to disable/set to manual.

If you're worried about messing up, Create a snapshot if you use snapshot software such as Sysrestore or RollbackRx, I never trust the default System Restore.

Thanks. :)

Wouldnt barebones be a bit too much for a laptop connected to the internet? by the looks of all 3 description, tweaked would be a safer option than barebones.

i myself got some suggestions so ill try those since the safe of BV are only 19 services.

But agreed that is a good starting point

P

Plexx

ZOU1 said:
Reinstall Windows, deactivate unnecessary Windows processes and start up items, get 6 GHz of front side bus and 10 Gigs of RAM, and call me in the morning.

In Europe getting a laptop with over 8GB Ram by default is hard.

a decent i7 would do the trick, no need to go hardcore on 6GHz front side bus.

When you tell someone to deactivate unnecessary windows processes just like that not everyone will have a clue what you are on about.

Furthemore, specially on laptops, each make and version have additional services that one would not know unless he/she searches: i.e Dell quickset.

the amount of times people told me to disable that....

Also lets not forget startup entries.

Feedback: be a bit more constructive since I bet you there are users and guest users who will view this guide as a reference point.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Biozfear said:

Since RollbackRX has been around for so much longer, I'd have to say Rollback, although you'll have to pay for it.

I did some quick tests with Sysrestore and it seemed to function as expected, but I was not impressed with the broken English scattered throughout the UI. It just gives the whole application a very unpolished/unprofessional feel.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
The other day I cleared almost 2 gigs of temp files off a computer with ccleaner. Took forever.....come on people clean your computers! They also had 34 program statups in their msconfig...

D

Deleted member 178

lol my longest cleans was 5gbof junk and 200 infections , pc cpu usage, 70% permanently :D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
pcjunklist said:
The other day I cleared almost 2 gigs of temp files off a computer with ccleaner. Took forever.....come on people clean your computers! They also had 34 program statups in their msconfig...

Do a clean every weekend and everything runs smoothly. Have set the new thing in Trend called the System Tuner to start at the end of every month.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I worked on this kids computer and mbam found over 1000 virus's so I ended up reformatting it but still was slow so it could have damaged the hdd maybe.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
MRF71 said:
I worked on this kids computer and mbam found over 1000 virus's so I ended up reformatting it but still was slow so it could have damaged the hdd maybe.

That sounds intense, what was that kid doing. Downloading everything that he found on the internet? ha

jkss

Jul 24, 2012
MRF71 said:
McLovin said:
I know the best way to fix a slow computer, it's to re-install Windows. Problem solved. Duplicate File Finder, is a FREE tool designed to find and delete duplicate files over home and corporate network while no software installed on other computer.

That's the best way and the fastest way to fix any computer IMHO
I'm glad wot blocked that site, never use a browser without it!

I myself got some suggestions so ill try those since the safe of BV are only 19 services.

But agreed that is a good starting point...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.