Guide | How To How to open a new instance of the running app on a separate Desktop in Windows 10

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
To achieve the desired behavior described above, all you need to do is hold down the Shift key on the keyboard and click the app's icon on the taskbar in Desktop 2:

The new instance on the application will be opened on the active Desktop, so you will get two windows of the Firefox browser, one on Desktop 1 and the other on Desktop 2.

This feature is not actually new: starting with Windows 7, if you hold down the Shift key and click a running app on the Taskbar, a new instance of the running app will be opened.

Unfortunately, this trick does not work for Modern apps! The Metro apps that you install are all designed to run in the single instance, so you cannot open any Modern app multiple tiles, once on each desktop
Source

Reactions: Jaspion and Ink

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For Windows 7 and 8.1 users, two instances will be opened on the same desktop - since obviously it's not Windows 10 TP.
Some applications do not allow multiple instances, and you will received a notification that the software is already running.

Never knew about the Shift trick, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Petrovic

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Shift trick new for me too, thanks!

I just had to reset my Windows font sizes to default (which I had to check on another Win8 machine, because there's no Reset button for it), all because Windows can't handle anything but the default font type and size. The most intriguing thing is that what made me revert to defaults was precisely the Windows Update window, which showed up empty with the font sizes I was using.

So it's nice to find a useful Windows feature right after that :rolleyes:

Reactions: Petrovic

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.