Guide | How To How To Prevent OpenCandy From Installing!!

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

BCHatesMalware

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 5, 2013
DISCLAIMER: The following instructions are geared for the Windows PC. Always backup your system before attempting to make any repairs/fixes. Do not attempt to do this, if you are not comfortable editing you system. The follow instructions do not damage your PC. They are a simple matter of editing the Hosts File, by adding the OpenCandy network web sites, to this file.
* END OF DISCLAIMER *

Now don't you just hate the OpenCandy stuff that sometimes tries to install onto your computer. Well, I have Good News. I have been blessed to find a way to help prevent this. So let's get going.

1. You need to download the latest version of a program called: HostsMan, unless you already have this program installed on your PC. I do highly recommend this program. The lastest version is: 4.5.102. Go here to download this program: http://www.abelhadigital.com/hostsman. Here are some stats about this program:

• Version: 4.5.102

• Released: September 2, 2014

• Size: 2.84 MB

• Requirements: Windows XP SP2, Server 2003 SP1, Vista, Server 2008, 7, 8, Server 2012, 8.1, Server 2012 R2

• License: Freeware

You can download this file as: a .ZIP file, or as an .EXE file.

2. Now, once you have downloaded and installed this program--you should find an icon, on your desktop, that looks like this:
HostsManLaunchIcon.jpg . Click on this icon to launch the program.

3. This is what the Program Interface should look like (If you have just installed it).
HostsManInterface1.jpg

4. Now, you will need to do some things in the Program.
a. We want to enable the Hosts Updater, so that the Hosts File will stay updated. So now click on
the [Select Sources] Button, as shown below:
HostsmanInterface2.jpg

b. Now once you click on the [Select Sources] Button, you should have this Interface Screen appear.
Now select all of the Hosts File Sources indicated in the list below. This will insure that you have
good protection. Then, click on the [Close] Button, in the lower right corner.
HostsmanInterface3.jpg

c. This is the Interface Screen that you should now see.
HostsmanInterface5.jpg

d. Now under the "Hosts Updater" Section, we want to enable the "Automatic updates" so that our
protection stays updated. This does require an active internet connection. Currently "Automatic
updates" is "Disabled". We shall now fix this.

Attachments

• HostsmanInterface6.jpg
    HostsmanInterface6.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 542
  • HostsmanInterface9.jpg
    HostsmanInterface9.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 499
  • HostsmanInterface8.jpg
    HostsmanInterface8.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 499
  • HostsmanInterface7.jpg
    HostsmanInterface7.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 480
  • HostsmanInterface9a.jpg
    HostsmanInterface9a.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 430
  • HostsmanInterface11.jpg
    HostsmanInterface11.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 542
  • HostsmanInterface12.jpg
    HostsmanInterface12.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 512
  • HostsmanInterface10.jpg
    HostsmanInterface10.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 524
  • HostsmanInterface13.jpg
    HostsmanInterface13.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
Reactions: Bryan J and Sasa

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
A simpler solution, for users who are not skilled, can serve program Unchecky.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
DISCLAIMER: The following instructions are geared for the Windows PC. Always backup your system before attempting to make any repairs/fixes. Do not attempt to do this, if you are not comfortable editing you system. The follow instructions do not damage your PC. They are a simple matter of editing the Hosts File, by adding the OpenCandy network web sites, to this file.
* END OF DISCLAIMER *

For this reason, I do not think it's an ideal solution for the majority of PC users. As an alternate, most users can protect their PC against OpenCandy and other unwanted software by checking they have:
1. Antivirus with PUP-enabled.
2. Unchecky - http://unchecky.com
3. Always the Custom installation option
4. Read before clicking Yes/Next/Accept/Continue - Remember you can click on Decline.

Adware, toolbars and other unwanted software can be prevented IF the PC user reads what is on-screen, or chooses to Decline offers.

Unchecky runs silently in the background, using minimal resources.
upload_2015-1-7_14-10-17.png

BCHatesMalware

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 5, 2013
I apologize folks, but I was having some internet issues and above post was not completed. The steps are fairly quite easy, and since this is a Tutorial Forums, I am showing how to do this Step-By-Step, so that any user can accomplish this task. I will complete this shortly. :0

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
Another step that I cannot "Officially" confirm is to disconnect from the internet after you have downloaded the installation file that contains the OpenCandy wrapper. Many of these "Add-on" offers are pay per install (thus when a user installs the program, it notifies the server, and the developer or whoever gets their affiliate/pay-per click portion). I have noticed that sometimes, they are not offered, or at least are not customized if the internet is disconnected during program installation.

Reactions: jamescv7

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Another step that I cannot "Officially" confirm is to disconnect from the internet after you have downloaded the installation file that contains the OpenCandy wrapper. Many of these "Add-on" offers are pay per install (thus when a user installs the program, it notifies the server, and the developer or whoever gets their affiliate/pay-per click portion). I have noticed that sometimes, they are not offered, or at least are not customized if the internet is disconnected during program installation.

64ep9Re.png

K6Y7aQW.png

Well your observation is correct, those bundled PUP need to be connected in the internet. For example CDBurnerXP without internet connection it just install directly comparing with connectivity enabled where needs a user approval for bundled program.

Reactions: soccer97

Bryan J

Level 1
Verified
May 17, 2015
Um, I'd suggest the OP's suggestion and not solely replying on unchecky. I say this based on experience. OpenCandy is easily installed w/o any indication via check boxes.

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
Um, I'd suggest the OP's suggestion and not solely replying on unchecky. I say this based on experience. OpenCandy is easily installed w/o any indication via check boxes.

In addition to being vigilant about making sure the setup is configured correctly (not Express, and make sure boxes are unchecked), I always made sure to whenever possible completely disconnect from the internet before during and shortly after installing the program that was bundled with OpenCandy. This was a year or so ago. My understanding is that is a Pay-Per-Install system. It may also customize selections based on the program it's bundled into. The 'tracker' per se' must be sent during installation for them to get paid. Try it out w/o the internet.

Again, it's only what worked for me, and it was a year or 2 ago.

Previous post:

Maybe it just requires several people reproducing the situation now?

Reactions: Bryan J

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.