Mini Spy

Latest Threads

1. Warning Welcome to MalwareTips.com, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn about PC security and computers.
    As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but you can not create new threads or reply to an existing one unless you are a registered member. By joining our free community you will have access to post threads, start private conversations with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features.
    Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join us today!
  2. Emsisoft  Mobile Security GiveawayEXCLUSIVE MalwareTips.com: Emsisoft Mobile Security Giveaway

Get a free license key for Emsisoft Mobile Security to protect your Android smartphone. We are giving away Emsisoft Mobile Security license keys for our awesome members!

Get an Emsisoft Mobile Security license key!

3. Zemana AntiLogger Unlimited GiveawayEXCLUSIVE: Zemana AntiLogger Giveaway

Get a free license key for Zemana AntiLogger. We are giving away 300 Zemana AntiLogger license keys for our awesome members!

Get a Zemana AntiLogger license key!

4.  NoVirusThanks EXE GiveawayEXCLUSIVE MalwareTips.com : NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro Giveaway

Get a free license key for NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro. We are giving away NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro license keys for our awesome members!

Get a NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro license key!

5. ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security GiveawayEXCLUSIVE MalwareTips.com:ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security Giveaway

Get a free license key for ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security. We are giving away ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security license keys for our awesome members!

Get a ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security license key!

6. Tip of the Day Many people think that 'formatting' a hard drive will wipe out all the data so it cannot be recovered
    Not so. To prevent the possibility of future recovery, use a third-party, low-level hard drive formatting tool, such as Killdisk (downloadable at no charge from www.killdisk.com) to overwrite data on the hard drive with a random sequence of 1's and 0's.

How to repair corrupted and damaged system files in Windows 7 and Vista

Discussion in 'Tweak & Secure Windows' started by Jack, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Jack

Jack Administrator Staff Member

If any of the Windows system files are missing or are corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected. For example, some Windows functions may not work, or Windows may crash.
    Windows 7, like previous version, has an inbuilt tool called System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) which scans for missing or corrupted system files and repairs them. Using System File Checker tool (SFC.exe), you can determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file.

How to scan and repair system files :

1. Click the Start button[​IMG],into the Search box type "cmd"
    2. When Command Prompt appears in the search results, Right click on it and select Run as Administrator

[​IMG]
    3. Now type the command SFC /SCANNOW and press enter.

[​IMG]
    4. The System File Checker will now check all the files that make up your copy of Windows and repair any it finds are corrupt.

[​IMG]

Depending on your system, the scan can take up to 15-20 minutes. If the scan encountered system file errors and it fixed them, you will see a confirmation message just like in the screenshot below.

[​IMG]

WARNING : Please note that if you have modified your system files in order to add custom themes to your operating system, running sfc /scannow will revert the system files such as explorer.exe back to it's default state.
    Make the appropriate backups of your system files that you have modified for theming if you wish to save them before running sfc /scannow.

Related videos
    Uploaded by thelongclimb on Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    Nedim likes this.
  2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Regular Member

I've definitely had to use this tool before when repairing computers - especially XP.
  3. moonshine

moonshine Active Member

This is really a basic trick if you're an advanced user. This could help the newbies out there though. :D
  4. Huracan

Huracan Administrator Staff Member

In this case, what do you suggest?

[​IMG]
  5. Jack

Yes it's a pretty basic 'how to' but not everyone knows this command.
    I've run it today because I had some problems with the Windows Updates and to my surprise it manage to detect and fix some corrupted files. Needless to say that my problem with the Windows Updates is now solved.So I strongly recommend that you guys check your system files. :)

You can also just verify (without repairing)the integrity of your system files with System File Checker with this simple command :

Code:
    sfc /verifyonly
  6. Jack

This article might be the solution to your problem :
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fix-for-error-windows-resource-protection-could-not-start-the-repair-service-when-running-sfc-in-vista/
  7. Umbra Polaris

Umbra Polaris Testing And Review Expert Staff Member

lol Earth matrix style cmd as i did too :D
  8. jamescv7

jamescv7 Active Member

A must step for using this, simple and less clicks.
  9. mhartsellm

mhartsellm Regular Member

Thanks for posting this very beneficial thread, I've been wondering for some time why some of my homemade music cd's kept getting an error message and would not play and some did not. After running this repair tool, all now is well in the music cd world as it did find the system error and corrected it exactly as described in the screenshots :cool:
  10. Catie

Catie New Member

I am definitely a "newby" and am trying to troubleshoot a problem I'm having. There is one website in particular that I'm trying to log into but I keep getting an error message... error 1226...has exceeded max connections. In trying to "google" the problem I've read that it may be a problem with my window's files. In an effort to fix my "damaged" files I found your thread. However, I never installed Windows on my computer as it was already uploaded when I bought my Acer. I have no disc to insert. One, is there another way to fix my "damaged" files? Two, is this error message in fact indicative of a problem with my computer or is it the website's problem? Please advise.
  11. Umbra Polaris

Umbra Polaris Testing And Review Expert Staff Member

If the system was delivered in the computer you bought, you should have a factory restore hidden partition, that will restore Windows as if you just bought your computer; if my memory is good, for ACER it can be launched when you press alt+F10 during boot (you can google to check for your model).
    Be sure to save important files before restoration
  12. WalterWolf

WalterWolf Regular Member

You have to boot to safe mode to do anything.

Safe Mode with CMD
  13. exterminator20

exterminator20 Giveaway and Hot Deals Expert Staff Member

Is it only 1 site that this error happens?
    Can you post the website URL?
    Is this your website?

This sounds more like a problem with a website/server.Usually a queries problem, this error results from too many calls to the database.There is usually a limit and once that is reached it will not allow a connection.It won't matter if you are the administrator or a regular member you will not be able to view the site.The administrator of the site has to change the settings.It is a very common error in sites with MySQL queries.

Before you do anything regarding your OS you should post the URL so somebody can check it out.If you don't want to post it here,then maybe send a private message to one of us who can verify if we get the same problem.If it happens on only one site in particular and not getting Windows error messages or issues with Windows running then it would be safe to assume it has nothing to do with your Operating System.

Depending on what you Google you are going to get different results.
  14. nero

nero New Member

i have got this message.I am a noob.Kindly help me.
    [​IMG]
  15. kayleigh Goodrum

kayleigh Goodrum New Member

Please help me, I cant open internet explorer or download anything! got the message on the left when following the instructions above,

Thanks in advance!

upload_2014-3-23_17-39-48.png
  16. jim lin

jim lin Active Member

hello Kayleigh Goodrum

and welcome to Malwaretips :)

make sure you are using a elevated command prompt (right click on CMD and run as Administrator)
    and make sure you have a internet connection

this works with Windows 7 and newer
    deployment image servicing and management tool

in the CMD prompt type
    1." dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth " then hit enter and let it run

then in the CMD prompt type
    2." dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth " then hit enter and let it run

now do a administrator command prompt-sfc /scannow and see if this works

this command should download and replace the corrupt files

i'm not sure it will help with internet explorer or downloading though

:)

James