Guide | How To How to Set-up Open VPN Client

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
Hello my fellow MT members :)

In this guide I'm gonna show you how to set-up openVPN client software. Obviously you need openVPN software installed, or if you haven't you can download the latest version on Softpedia

Once you downloaded it, instead of double clicking on it, right click on openvpn-install.exe and choose "Run as Administrator" (IMPORTANT, especially if you running on Windows 7 and above)
Just wait till it finished, sometime the installer might ask user to install open-vpn driver, if it's ask you just choose yes.

Once you done with the installation, since it's only a vpn client then we need a vpn server as our virtual network. Actually it's worked with almost every vpn servers (if they had support open vpn software) but in this guide I'm gonna simply choose VPNBook (it's actually one of my favorite free vpn providers) you might choose whatever vpn service you want or just simply follow my guide just for test purpose

Now on the vpnbook website, you need to choose openVPN tab, not the other one
Then simply download any of vpn certificate bundle, you can download all of them and use it as your virtual network, it's worked actually but for this tutorial purpose I simply just choose "Euro1 Server OpenVPN Certificate Bundles" once you clicked on it, it should downloaded automatically.

v6oexk.jpg

Once you downloaded the certificate bundle, right click on the zip file and extract it with whatever file archiver you use

2val7r7.jpg

You should see 4 ovpn files (if you were download it from vpnbook)
Now copy all of them, or just pick one it's doesn't really matter but for me I copied all of them

300eihy.jpg

I assume you install it on default location, then just paste it on C:\\Program Files\OpenVPN\Config. Depending on where you install it, but you should paste these files on OpenVPN\Config

14n08qo.jpg

Now just go to your desktop and right click on OpenVPN Shortcut and choose "Run as Administrator"
it's important, on windows 7 and above if you just double clicking the exe file even when you are connected to open vpn properly, it cannot and it wouldn't masking your real IP, thus...it's useless.
Just remember to do so every time you want to launch openVPN, another alternative you can just right click it and choose properties, on the compatibilty tab and under privilege level just tick "Run this program as administrator"

2yyqqns.jpg

Finally, once you launched openVPN, now you may check your tray icon then right click on openVPN GUI now you should see 4 servers are available to choose (if you followed my tutorial) just pick whatever you want

mtpdzs.jpg

rscsg4.jpg

Now you should see openVPN GUI on your desktop, it should ask you for username and password. Assuming you are using vpnbook certificate bundles, then just look back on vpnbook website, under those bundles you should see the username and password, then just simply type in

e01jbc.jpg

2rqj5f7.jpg

Now you should see openVPN connected properly :)

2i7753b.jpg

Now it's time to check your IP :)
As you can see now I'm using Romanian IP

2m77rjt.jpg

PS : vpnbook might changed it's password probably once per week, just remember to check them! :)

That's it! hope you can configure it properly, good luck!!

Last edited:

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
Does open vpn tunnels internet applications like games,skype, download managers ( IDM) etc?

As far as I know yes, VPN supposed to encrypt and tunneling all your applications. My favorite MMORPG game (an online game) it's blocking every VPN connection and foreign country, every time I connected to openVPN I can't login to the game...so yes I think it does works :)

Reactions: Koroke San

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
As far as I know yes, VPN supposed to encrypt and tunneling all your applications. My favorite MMORPG game (an online game) it's blocking every VPN connection and foreign country, every time I connected to openVPN I can't login to the game...so yes I think it does works :)
i guess open VPN don't use NAT firewall addon coz it's hard to block NAT firewall & it can even bypass great firewall of china.Anyways thnx :) Btw, do u know any open VPN server list who support p2p?

Reactions: Rahadian Putra

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
i guess open VPN don't use NAT firewall addon coz it's hard to block NAT firewall & it can even bypass great firewall of china.Anyways thnx :) Btw, do u know any open VPN server list who support p2p?

Unfortunately, there is no free VPN service that support p2p as far as I can tell, but cyberghost allow it as long users didn't use US/UK servers. It's not a big deal for me since I'm not using p2p and I don't even had torrent client software installed >.<
With paid VPN there are a lot of VPN service that support p2p though. But friend, instead of using p2p...why not using a free service like zbigz?

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Unfortunately, there is no free VPN service that support p2p as far as I can tell, but cyberghost allow it as long users didn't use US/UK servers. It's not a big deal for me since I'm not using p2p and I don't even had torrent client software installed >.<
With paid VPN there are a lot of VPN service that support p2p though. But friend, instead of using p2p...why not using a free service like zbigz?
Coz i do lots of torrent sometimes, mainly games & i can find anything ;0 but few months ago i found a website who supports p2p for open VPN & it's free.i forget the name of website xD Plus i installed cyberghsot today & i got a pop message that p2p don't support for free users
he_he.png

Reactions: Rahadian Putra

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
Coz i do lots of torrent sometimes, mainly games & i can find anything ;0 but few months ago i found a website who supports p2p for open VPN & it's free.i forget the name of website xD Plus i installed cyberghsot today & i got a pop message that p2p don't support for free users
he_he.png

Dang..unfortunately then :(
It seems cyberghost changed it's rule, I do still remember they allow it as long user don't use any US/UK IP's...or perhaps I was using the promo version -_-

Probably you need to asking your memory about that VPN my friend ;)
Remember to buy marsh mallow and pop corn before you do..who knows your memory would kindly enough to remind you :rolleyes::p

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.