Idle Temperature for an i5-4200U

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercurial

Level 6
Thread author
Oct 3, 2012
Hi guys, can anyone tell me what's the idle temperature for an i5-4200U? My CPU was around 45-48 Degree Celsius. It's kinda hot at my place atm, but the temperature seems to have settled down when i took this screeny.

Many Thanks

CPU.png

vindiesel

Level 7
Verified
Apr 15, 2013
Hello friend I can only tell you the temperature has my I7 processor is a 2600 with an ambient temperature of 32 C. The processor gets 86 percent to about 62 or 65 grados.Se my processor maximum temperature is 72 degrees, there is starting to degrade.
k9b71i.jpg

Reactions: Jack

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
I would say it's okey; more factor may be the cause of it. In my opinion a bit to hight (40C or lower is best). What laptop do you have? in some case the BIOS can be adjusted - modifying the BIOS is the best way to achieve what you wish.

Run Prime95 or alike to see what the max temp truly is and let us know.

What you can do is to re-paste the thermal compound (I will go into that if the warranty isn't getting void) but if you do that you may as well void the warranty so I would if check before doing so.

mercurial

Level 6
Thread author
Oct 3, 2012
I would say it's okey; more factor may be the cause of it. In my opinion a bit to hight (40C or lower is best). What laptop do you have? in some case the BIOS can be adjusted - modifying the BIOS is the best way to achieve what you wish.

Run Prime95 or alike to see what the max temp truly is and let us know.

What you can do is to re-paste the thermal compound (I will go into that if the warranty isn't getting void) but if you do that you may as well void the warranty so I would if check before doing so.

Well the weather has been hot at my place and my cooler pad when bad, just my luck. My Laptop is an Asus Ultrabook. Problem is it's share's the same heatsink with the GPU. Though like you said if i feel it should be under or at 40 when im just doing menial task.

Edit 1: I will try to run Prime 95 and see what it pushes to, will also try my laptop at work and see if the environment is to be blamed for it or not.

mercurial

Level 6
Thread author
Oct 3, 2012
So i checked my temps again after maintaining a room temperature of 24 Degrees Celsius. This was w/o any cooler pad and the laptop was kept on a desk. It reached around 49 Degrees Celsius when i was running a Malwarebytes Scan. Looks like the room temperature problem, though i will check the bios setting for fan control and get back with the result.

zgiHd0.png

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Estimated ranges from 40 - 50 degree celsius are normal that's not the problem.

Mine reaches from 55-60 degree celsius even though I add a cooling pad.

mercurial

Level 6
Thread author
Oct 3, 2012
Estimated ranges from 40 - 50 degree celsius are normal that's not the problem.

Mine reaches from 55-60 degree celsius even though I add a cooling pad.

That's quite hot, you must have some warm room temperature.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@mercurial My laptop is place on a well ventilated area (windows are open) for some reason the weather here is tropical sometimes when its very hot the temperature gradually affected but sometimes when its rainy that temperature is beyond normal.

Reactions: mercurial

mercurial

Level 6
Thread author
Oct 3, 2012
@mercurial My laptop is place on a well ventilated area (windows are open) for some reason the weather here is tropical sometimes when its very hot the temperature gradually affected but sometimes when its rainy that temperature is beyond normal.
@jamescv7 Ya, i had the same issue with weather. Have a tropical weather here, usually hot around the year, guess that's what the issue was since there were some hot days the last 2 weeks. Thanks for the info!!

Reactions: jamescv7
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.