IE 11 Search Scopes Found by Adwcleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

marg

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
Hello everyone.! I have Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit & IE 11 browser. I ran Adwcleaner & it found 2 items in the registry HKCU\search scopes & HKLM\ search scopes. Is this any cause for concern.? Adwcleaner removed it but, on restart it comes right back. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 21043

Hi there Marg,

Was this the exact key: Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\

Please reply back to if it was or wasn't.
Thanks.

D

Deleted member 21043

It's possible you could have a adware infection... Known as a qvo agent.

Do any of the following keys exist on your system?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\qvo6Software\qvo6hp\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\findSoftware\

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 21043

Could you also please go to the following area in your registry and check if the values for the keys are the following (this will also help indicate if you have a adware infection)...

Please go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search
Is the CustomizeSearch: 22find.com ?

Then, go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\
Is the Start Page: 22find.com ?

Thanks.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
This has been happening for about 5 Months on Winodws 8.1. IE in which, I remove/delete one a week!

D

Deleted member 21043

@marg @Moose

Please can you download Farbar Recovery Scanner from the following link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

Please create a folder somewhere and call it "SCANL". Then, save Farbar to that directory. Then, open it as administrator. You should be prompted with a disclaimer warning. Once read, if you agree to it, accept so we can continue.

Once it's first opened, it should tell you it's backing up the registry. This is okay, because it means we have a backup of the registry so if anything unexpected happens you can revert back. After the cleaning (if any is necessary), I will get you to create another backup and remove the old one so you have a clean recovery registry backup if you do happen to have a adware infection.

Under "whitelist" make sure nothing is ticked. I want to review everything for the best accurate results. ;)

Please hit "SCAN". Farbar will now scan and create a log of the scanned items. This log will allow me to view and check if you have a infection...

Once the scan has completed, in the same directory you ran the Farbar recovery scanner from, should be a file known as FRST.txt. Please reply to this thread with me tagged, with that log attached. If you cannot attach it for some reason, please upload it online somewhere and PM me a direct link (or paste it here) or create a spoiler and in that spoiler paste the contents (if it gets messed up on the post you will have to upload it so I can read it better).

After you have done the above in the spoiler, I can review the log and do some checks for you, and help you fix anything I find which is suspicious. :)

marg

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
Adwcleaner states only HKCU64\software\Microsoft\internet explorer\search scopes & HKLM64\software\Microsoft\internet explorer\search scopes.. Hope this helps.

D

Deleted member 21043

@marg Please could I have the Farbar log? I wrote the steps above for you. :)

EDIT: Please also add the addition.txt log file. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

marg

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
I removed & re-downloaded Adwcleaner. It now appears the 2 registry items are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.