Advice Request If I use KIS and uBO, should I turn these security settings on, in the Edge?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
1656566190266.png

If I use KIS and uBO, should I turn these security settings on, in the Edge?

1656566173093.png

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I am using also uBlock Origin. I have enabled both settings in Edge long time ago and chosen for each the recommended option. I haven't noticed any "issue" while browsing so far (y)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I would set both at balanced, according to MS the second one (enhance your security on the web) can block zero-day threats.
Enhanced security in Microsoft Edge helps safeguard against memory-related vulnerabilities by disabling just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compilation and enabling additional operating system protections for the browser. These protections include Hardware-enforced Stack Protection and Arbitrary Code Guard (ACG). With these protections in place, Edge helps reduce the risk of an attack by automatically applying stricter security settings on unfamiliar sites while adapting to your browsing habits over time.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Reactions: silversurfer

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I am using also uBlock Origin. I have enabled both settings in Edge long time ago and chosen for each the recommended option. I haven't noticed any "issue" while browsing so far (y)

I need to clarify my first post, in my Edge (latest stable) here are only two options as Balanced and Strict, so recommended option is Balanced.

stable.png

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Ok, thank you again @silversurfer I set both settings in the Edge as default, and now have no worries if they would even conflict with ubo, which I set it in the medium mode.

Reactions: silversurfer

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
The browser is the gatekeeper to the internet. For me it's obvious to activate the strict setting in Edge, regardless other privacy- and security measures. But bear in mind that even in strict mode the ad- and tracker blocking is so so. It's wise to use an additional blocker like the magnificent uBlock Origin.
Edit: I would prefer adding filterlists to the browser itself, but Edge doesn't allow this.

F

ForgottenSeer 77194

The 2nd one is a huge security boost, I have it on Strict.
Another thing you could do is change a registry key to put the Renderer process in AppContainer Mode.

Reactions: Jan Willy and amirr

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
The 2nd one is a huge security boost, I have it on Strict.
Putting the second one (Enhance your security on the web) in the Strict, it says "parts of sites might not work". Is is ok?

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
The browser is the gatekeeper to the internet. For me it's obvious to activate the strict setting in Edge, regardless other privacy- and security measures. But bear in mind that even in strict mode the ad- and tracker blocking is so so. It's wise to use an additional blocker like the magnificent uBlock Origin.
Edit: I would prefer adding filterlists to the browser itself, but Edge doesn't allow this.
Ok, so if I set the first one to the Balanced (recommended ) and the second one in the Strict, and ubo in the medium mode, there would be no conflict or issue, right?

F

ForgottenSeer 77194

Putting the second one (Enhance your security on the web) in the Strict, it says "parts of sites might not work". Is is ok?
It's rare for me for a website to not work. If it causes issues you can put the site on the exception list.
It is misleading to say "parts of sites might not work", this is true for both strict and balanced modes.
Only webassembly at the moment is incompatible.
Another downside is it might make sites slower.

Reactions: Jan Willy and amirr

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
AppContainer Mode.

Ok, so if I set the first one to the Balanced (recommended ) and the second one in the Strict, and ubo in the medium mode, there would be no conflict or issue, right?
With this settings you can't go wrong. Nevertheless I prefer running both settings in Strict (as I said before). Azriel has given you a good advice about AppContainer Mode. I also use this.

Reactions: amirr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.