• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireShootSK

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 17, 2015
Hello, I'm this days not very active cause i have work and other things to do. Well, i want share my options and write little tutorial "Is possible merge from Windows to Linux?"
Some months ago i wrote to group chat with @Klipsh one message about Arch Linux challenge. This challenge point is "Remove Windows from HDD and install just Arch Linux". Well time with Arch Linux give me a lot knowledge. Now i haven't just Linux. I have dual-boot cause i still testing malwares, apps and others. But primary is Linux. Now question "Is possible life with Linux?" Answer is "YES! Of course" BUT! (yea here is big but) it not will be easy for everywhere. LINUX=alternatives this have u still in mind. Not all Windows apps can be emulated or have Linux version. But on Linux exist a lot great and professional alternatives. Here are some alternatives

• Adobe Photoshop - GIMP or emulated PS6 via wine(non-free)
  • Adobe Premiere - OpenShot
  • Microsoft Office - LibreOffice/OpenOffice
  • Camtasia Studio - OBS
  • Adobe Encore - FFmpeg
  • Notepad++ - Atom/Sublime Text Editor

Well, I just say u something about distros.
A lot people are saying "Oh Ubuntu is great distro" and it isn't correct. Now i explain 2 words. Distro and Fork.
Distro = is distribution of Linux with GNU OS. Example: Debian, OpenSuse, Fedora, RHEL, Arch Linux
Fork= is recreation of original GNU/Linux with some new things. Example Ubuntu = debian fork, CentOS= RHEL fork.

FIND BEST DISTRO/FORK

Linux have a greatest community of programmers and here are a many linux distros and forks.

Debian
Most popular Linux distro. On this distro are running over 70% of all web server daily. Most popular Debian forks = ubuntu, mint, Kali. Debian is avaible with GNU/Hurd is kernel by Free Software Foundation.

RHEL

Is enterprise commercial Linux distro developed in Red Hat. This distro is popular in bussines. This distro isn't free but have open code. Most popular forks= CentOS(free version of RHEL)

Arch Linux
Arch Linux is next gen rolling Linux disto. Using own package system Pacman. Arch Linux is popular in linux professionals because have a little hardest installation. But not hard like a Gentoo. From start isn't installed any WM or screen processors. Most popular forks= Manjaro

Gentoo
It's nothing for you. Most hardest installation i seen. If you want see gentoo install Sabayon

Ubuntu

Debian fork. By default have installed Unity(included Amazon spyware in search bar). Have good support for HW and drivers, exist many sub forks: Xubuntu(XFCE), Kubuntu(KDE),Lubuntu(LXDE). This distro is recommend install for newbies.

Linux Mint
Debian fork. It's just more stable Ubuntu. Nothing to say more. Linux mint have own versions of Cinnamon, KDE, XFCE.

Typical issues with GNU/Linux
On Linux are many issues but have a simple solution. Here is few.
Dual monitor set-up but my i can't set my second monitor
Well, this is my first problem what i have with Linux. I have three monitor set up and all monitors are mirrored.

DEBIAN
$apt-get update
$apt-get install xorg-xrandr
$xrandr
$xrandr --output VGA-0 --mode 1920x1080 --output DVI-0 --mode 1920x1080 --output HDMI-0 --mode 1920x1080
$xrandr --output DVI-0 --left-of VGA-0 --right-of HDMI-0

Arch Linux
$sudo pacman xorg-xrandr
$xrandr
$xrandr --output VGA-0 --mode 1920x1080 --output DVI-0 --mode 1920x1080 --output HDMI-0 --mode 1920x1080
$xrandr --output DVI-0 --left-of VGA-0 --right-of HDMI-0

App is rated gold in winehq but not works.
Well some apps need have installed net.framework and 32 bit system files. Here is solution

Debian
$apt-get update && apt-get install wine winetricks
$WINEARCH=win32 winecfg
$winetricks dotnet20
$winetricks dotnet40

Arch Linux
$sudo pacman -Sy wine winetricks
$WINEARCH=win32 winecfg
$winetricks dotnet20
$winetricks dotnet40

If you want use Photoshop in Arch Linux you must have installed MS fonts.

Linux system boot only to command line.
Well, this is most stupid question i listen. But i listen it in my school well it's easy. You must have installed X.ORG and WM. If you have it just type

UNIVERSAL
$startx

Change keyboard layout in terminal

Well if you are using some tilling WM just like i by default isn't installed any keyboard layout manager. For change layout type this
$setxkbmap -layout sk

(this command change layout to slovak if you want russian rewrite sk to ru)

.Xresource isn't load by default
.Xresource define your color scheme. By default some WMs isn't load it. For this you must:

Debian
$xrdb .Xresources

Arch Linux
$sudo pacman -Sy xorg-xrdb
$xrdb .Xresources

I don't like this WM i want another

Well, linux have a lot Windows managers and is hard find best for you. My favorite is DWM for this i show how install DWM and XFCE4

Debian
$apt-get install xfce4 (for xfce)
$apt-get install dwm (for dwm)

Now if you are using login screen just selecd XFCE or DWM if you are login from CLI rewrite first line in .xinitrc to exec xfce(for xfce) or exec dwm(for dwm) and type startx

Arch Linux
$sudo pacman -Sy xfce4 (for xfce)
$sudo pacman -Sy dwm (for dwm)

Same as few lines up.

Well i hope this lines help you and you try Linux cause is Awesome!

Sources
GNU/Linux - InstallGentoo Wiki
ArchWiki
My brain.

This tutorial isn't complete. If you want more write it please. I hope mods/admins agree this article about Linux cause GNU/Linux is OS too.
With Love FireshootSK
Sorry for grammar i'm not good in english.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
May I know will there be any issue when installing Linux OS alongside with the operating system currently using?
I saw some Linux ISO have the option to either try or install. And the install option they offer either
1) install alongsise with them,
2) overwrite the existing OS
3) custom ( i believe is about create partition).

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
May I know will there be any issue when installing Linux OS alongside with the operating system currently using?
I saw some Linux ISO have the option to either try or install. And the install option they offer either

I use dual boot win 7 and elementary OS in my home laptop. I consider it to be successful since my wife didn't aware that she was using libre office (instead of MS office).

However, I can't use same trick in my working laptop because my boss inconvenient with non-MS office software.

I like the rolling release idea in archi linux :)

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I use dual boot win 7 and elementary OS in my home laptop. I consider it to be successful since my wife didn't aware that she was using libre office (instead of MS office).

However, I can't use same trick in my working laptop because my boss inconvenient with non-MS office software.

I like the rolling release idea in archi linux :)
Exactly I'm planning to run in elementary OS on my old laptop. Hence I wonder if it really let u select 2 options when start up to either on window 10 or Elementary OS.

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
Exactly I'm planning to run in elementary OS on my old laptop. Hence I wonder if it really let u select 2 options when start up to either on window 10 or Elementary OS.

Affirmative mate, as long as you choose elementary OS boot loader instead of windows boot loader. However, I suggest you to have disk partition to secure your existing OS.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Affirmative mate, as long as you choose elementary OS boot loader instead of windows boot loader. However, I suggest you to have disk partition to secure your existing OS.

What happen if you choose window boot loader instead of elementary OS boot loader?
I already have a partition by default (C: and D:) So to install it I need to do another partition again?

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
What happen if you choose window boot loader instead of elementary OS boot loader?
I already have a partition by default (C: and D:) So to install it I need to do another partition again?
1. Some user claim that there isn't "elementary os" in boot session when they use windows boot loader. I believe there is a way to solve this problem, but I don't know how to do that. So, I just choose elementary OS boot loader for simplified installation.
2. There is a chance that windows boot loader will be overwritten by elementary boot loader. So, I still suggest you to partitioning your disk.

here is a guide to install dual boot elementary OS that help me to do it.

S

SkyJP

I am already using elementary OS as my main OS, but also have Windows 7 dual booted if necessary.

I've been able to use EasyBCD to add a boot option to the Windows bootloader for elementary OS, but honestly GRUB is a lot better IMO. Before you choose your OS, your computer has already loaded a bit of Windows when you use the Windows loader, whereasGRUB is installed after the MBR before your first partition, so booting into eOS can be slower through the Windows loader.

I don't trust the "Install alongside Windows" installs on Linux CDs so you should go for a custom install. Use an extended partition, and within that partition have your / mount point and your swapfile. This is if your partition is an MBR table, as you can only have a maximum of 4 primary partitions, or 3 primary and 1 extended partition on your drive, which is why an extended partition for eOS is important for me as I have a system reserved partition (from Windows), Windows OS partition and a data partition, using up 3 partition slots already.

Reactions: bunchuu

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Does it mean I have to custom install such that I need to create a partition inside C: drive instead of my readily available D: drive? Currently my D: are in back-up usage.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Does it mean I have to custom install such that I need to create a partition inside C: drive instead of my readily available D: drive? Currently my D: are in back-up usage.

Yes you will need to custom install in order to do that. And as long as you select your first (primary) HDD to have the boot loader installed to it, you'll be fine and will be able to dual boot. I'd imagine if you select the second disk, that would be fine but it would have to be in front of the primary disk (boot order) to boot properly.

All you need for custom install is ext 2, 3 or 4 for file system and a swap file. I make swap file half my RAM in size. Some users like to have separate boot and root partition from the home directory but is unnecessary. Just having it set to / will install everything in the same partition when creating the file system. I recommend ext 4 file system. Better at managing files and apparently is great at preventing fragmentation. Maybe others recommend a different one.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.