Question Is the Bitwarden Password Manager Extension secure?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
I'll add Bitwarden to my sister's setup, who doesn't know much about security. She may not update the desktop app. I find the extension better for her. The extension will auto-update without needing user interaction, right? Is the Bitwarden Password Manager Extension secure? Any suggestions regarding settings, etc.?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yes. Browser extensions will auto-update.

Change the following in the Mobile App/Extension:
  • Settings > Options > Clear Clipboard
Change the following in the Bitwarden Web Vault

Bitwarden is open-source.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: ng4ever and rashmi

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
Yes. Browser extensions will auto-update.
I'm just now trying it. Does the web vault require a different master password than the account's? Because signing into the web vault with the account's master password says invalid email or pass.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'm just now trying it. Does the web vault require a different master password than the account's? Because signing into the web vault with the account's master password says invalid email or pass.
No, it's the same combination.

Let Bitwarden extension fill-in the credentials.

See my updated reply above.

• Thanks
Reactions: ng4ever and rashmi

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024

Let Bitwarden extension fill-in the credentials.

See my updated reply above.
I added the email and password to Bitwarden, but the web vault login says invalid. No problem signing in to the extension with the same data.

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
I found the issue. I accidentally typed .ccom for the email address when creating my account. But why did Bitwarden accept the invalid address for the account creation?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.