Advice Request Is VPN a requirement for security in 2023?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
While it is true that many apps and websites use encryption to protect their network traffic, a VPN can still provide an additional layer of security. VPNs encrypt all of your internet traffic, not just traffic from specific apps or websites, which can protect your online activities from prying eyes, such as your ISP or government. Additionally, a VPN can provide extra security when using public Wi-Fi networks or when accessing geo-restricted content. However, the decision to use a VPN ultimately depends on your individual security needs and the level of privacy you wish to maintain on the internet.

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
A VPN encrypts your IP and DNS traffic by the provider. So, there's no need of using 3rd-party encryoted DNS unless your VPN allows the use 3rd-party encrypted DNS

Generally speaking, if you want to use 3rd-party encrytped DNS then don't use a VPN and vice versa
So are you saying that if I am using a paid encrypted DNS fiiltering service then a VPN is not needed for security?

Reactions: Sorrento

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I think with the level of ISP/Government snooping using a Vpn is recommended on desktop and mobile. There are plenty of arguments for and against but it's like practicing safe sex, better be safe than sorry or else you will end up with a nasty using a unprotected connection especially using foreign Wi-Fi 🧤.

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
I think with the level of ISP/Government snooping using a Vpn is recommended on desktop and mobile. There are plenty of arguments for and against but it's like practicing safe sex, better be safe than sorry or else you will end up with a nasty using a unprotected connection especially using foreign Wi-Fi 🧤.
Are you talking about privacy here? Because I am only talking and asking about security here...

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
So are you saying that if I am using a paid encrypted DNS fiiltering service then a VPN is not needed for security?

There are a few ways to use encrypted DNS

1) Set encrypted DNS in your PC/laptop
2) Set encrypted DNS in your browser
3) Use the VPN's encrypted DNS
4) Use a 3rd-party encrypted DNS

If you set all then only one can be used. Otherwise there'll be compatibility issue.

Your question is whether a VPN is needed with encrypted 3rd-party DNS. You have to decide between using a VPN which has its default encrypted DNS or use a 3rd-party encrypted DNS service. Like I mentioned, if your VPN can accept 3rd-party encrypted service then you can use it

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
There are a few ways to use encrypted DNS

1) Set encrypted DNS in your PC/laptop
2) Set encrypted DNS in your browser
3) Use the VPN's encrypted DNS
4) Use a 3rd-party encrypted DNS

If you set all then only one can be used. Otherwise there'll be compatibility issue.

Your question is whether a VPN is needed with encrypted 3rd-party DNS. You have to decide between using a VPN which has its default encrypted DNS or use a 3rd-party encrypted DNS service. Like I mentioned, if your VPN can accept 3rd-party encrypted service then you can use it
Actually I am not asking about what I can or cannot do. I am asking what I should do for security.... So should I stick to a DNS service only or should I use a VPN?

Reactions: Sorrento

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Actually I am not asking about what I can or cannot do. I am asking what I should do for security.... So should I stick to a DNS service only or should I use a VPN?

A VPN can change your IP address and with multi-hop can further improves your privacy, both IP and DNS traffic with encryption. If I'm not wrong some encrypted service can change your IP address but cannot encrypt the IP traffic...........only can encrypt the DNS traffic

You decide

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
You mean both are secure? I wanna choose the secure option...and if both are secure, then the DNS option as its cheaper and less problematic...

I'm not sure what 3rd-party encrypted service charges is like. If you talk of better privacy then go for a VPN

Actually, many free DNS are with encryption unless you want to subscribe to a full-fledged encrypted DNS service

Last edited:

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Emsisoft considers a VPN to be unimportant when it comes to security.
see point 6 here.
It’s important for people who connect to public networks, such as airports, hotels (frequently) and other places. In this case it has been demonstrated thousands of times how easy it is to perform various attacks such as packet capturing and replaying. Absolutely do not use such networks without VPN, secure DNS will not help. In India, it is recommended to use VPN.

For users who stay in a trusted perimeter, VPN is at most nice-to-have but not a must, one can do without. Unless they have anything in particular that needs to be hidden, such as downloading torrents, searching for troublesome stuff and other activities of this sort.

I will finish it like the bot does.

Ultimately, whether one needs VPN or not depends on their activities and needs.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Emsisoft considers a VPN to be unimportant when it comes to security.
see point 6 here.

I don't see Emsisoft as a top AV/AM (I mean top 3) over the years as tested with others by the various labs

So, it is also unimportant to install it, right?

Reactions: Nevi and Moonhorse

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Given where your profile says you are located... you NEED a top-class VPN, and any other Web security you can afford.
This. If I was in SohanRay's home country I would invest in a top tier Vpn. There are ongoing crackdowns on online freedom there. Security and privacy are interlinked, they go together. Top class Vpn would be secure by nature and also offer privacy. But I know in such country's money is an issue so you will have to find a provider within your budget. But if you're paying for NextDns I would cancel and buy a Vpn, but that's just my opinion.

It's hard though, many Vpn's have left his home country due to crackdowns/new laws. You will have trouble getting a exit server from there. But good news is Singapore/Japan should be close enough to offer decent speeds. Most connections from Asia go through to Usa from the undersea cables in both countries. Reaching Euro sites also go through Usa, so your close enough to make the speeds bearable

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.