It's been a year since any activity in the Malware Hub

BigWrench

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
It with great sadness that it has been a year since anything was posted on/in the Malware Hub. That sub forum was like Saturday morning cartoons for me. Was the first thing I opened in the morning, even at work. Was like getting up on Saturday morning (in the 60's) and racing to the television and watching cartoons. I truly miss all the testing that went on there. Especially thankful for all those testers that took the time and contributed. Was always looking to see who passed and who failed. You never knew which way it would go. Although the top tier programs usually did a great job, sometimes.... they failed. Was a fantastic read whenever there was a fresh batch of samples. Also, it steered a lot of members towards their AV of choice. Very hopeful that it comes back with more and more great reads. Once again, a tip of the hat to all those testers! A labor of love, I assume. ✌️

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Personally, as one of the moderators of the Hub alongside @upnorth in recent years, I have to admit that I do miss posting some malware results on the Hub from time to time.

On the other hand, the personal lives of many of the testers, even the moderators, have become busier.

It should also be added that in recent years we tried to focus on posting few samples, but of quality, that were detected by the least number of security solutions, and this work of searching, testing them for hours in online emulation services, and in In many cases, even testing them previously in a virtual machine, to check if they really generated some type of malicious activity in the end, took up too many hours of our time, especially @upnorth, which was normally the one that had been posting almost the majority of malware in recent times, also @silversurfer...

We did not want to simply test large packs of samples, without first checking whether they were even false positives, or did not generate malicious activity because they were being executed within a virtual machine, as was done in the beginning, in the pre-Malware Hub times...

I would like to thanks to all the forum members that for years checked and gave likes to our working there :)

Update: I forgot to mention, of course, all the testers that joined the Hub for years :)

Will the Hub ever come back? Who knows...

Last edited:

BigWrench

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Personally, as one of the moderators of the Hub alongside @upnorth in recent years, I have to admit that I do miss posting some malware results on the Hub from time to time.

On the other hand, the personal lives of many of the testers, even the moderators, have become busier.

It should also be added that in recent years we tried to focus on posting few samples, but of quality, that were detected by the least number of security solutions, and this work of searching, testing them for hours in online emulation services, and in In many cases, even testing them previously in a virtual machine, to check if they really generated some type of malicious activity in the end, took up too many hours of our time, especially @upnorth, which was normally the one that had been posting almost the majority of malware in recent times, also @silversurfer...

We did not want to simply test large packs of samples, without first checking whether they were even false positives, or did not generate malicious activity because they were being executed within a virtual machine, as was done in the beginning, in the pre-Malware Hub times...

I would like to thanks to all the forum members that for years checked and gave likes to our working there :)

Will the Hub ever come back? Who knows...
You, all those you mentioned, and countless others did a wonderful job. Thank you all! ✌️

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I'm quite nostalgic and sometimes I reread the Hub's posts...
But it's also been a great experience for me, because it's thanks to the Hub that I've been able to learn and deepen what I do in video :)

( I'm also looking forward to its return and count on me to continue if it reopens :D )

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I also forgot to mention a member that was also Mod in the forum, He was the precursor to the Hub having unified testing rules and method, which all testers had to follow when posting the results, He was the "culprit" that the Hub began to look more professional: Illumination

Mar 10, 2024
I also forgot to mention a member that was also Mod in the forum, He was the precursor to the Hub having unified testing rules and method, which all testers had to follow when posting the results, He was the "culprit" that the Hub began to look more professional: Illumination
Sometimes it takes a "culprit" to initiate change for the better. I'm certain this user is grateful for the remembrance and mention.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.